This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I was wondering if you guys could be frank about whether I have a shot of getting into vet school.
21 years old, male, California resident

Degree: Will graduate in 2017 with
B.S. in Animal Science, University of Minnesota – Twin Cities

Cum GPA: 3.337
Last 45 GPA: 3.306

Veterinary Experience:
- 5162 hours SA (working in a SA hospital, volunteering in an SA emergency clinic, providing free vet care to low income people, working on an indian reservation to provide free vet care)

Animal Experience:
- 3146 hours, LA and SA combined (raised 4 service dogs, work at the University of Minnesota Vet Med Center as a receptionist for the LA hosp, SA hosp and the equine hosp)

Research Experience:
- 965 hours (worked on projects about how memory is stored, and currently working on a brain tumor research for dogs)

Extra-Curricular:
- Member of the UMN Medical Reserve Coprs
- Member of Phi Sigma Theta Honors Society

Letters of Recommendation
-University of Minnesota veterinary surgeon/professor
-Boss where I work who is on the vet school admissions committee at UMN
-Veterinarian I work for
-Researcher I worked for

GRE: Not Taken Yet

My concerns:
-My GPA. I got a C my first semester in Chem 1, a C+ in Organic Chem 1, a C+ in Organic Chem 2, and a C+ in Organic chem lab
-I have very limited LA experience

I want to apply this year to: UC Davis, University of Minnesota, NC State, Oregon State, Virginia-Maryland, Iowa State, University of Georgia, UTenn, and University of Wisconsin

I would eventually want to go into neuro-oncology/surgery please let me know if there are any schools that have a strong program in this. Also let me know if there are schools on this list that I have no chance in hell getting into to help me winnow down my list.

If there is anything I left out, please feel free to ask.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your boss is on the vet school admissions committee at UMN, I would def talk to them about your chances.

Also would suggest getting some more varied experience. food animal, equine, emergency, etc. Since you are at UMN right now and have connections with the vet school, I would think this wouldn't be a terribly hard task to do.

NCState has a hard stance on their 3.4 GPA requirement, so if you dont have that, I wouldn't bother applying there.

Hey everyone. I was wondering if you guys could be frank about whether I have a shot of getting into vet school.

Veterinary Experience:
- 5162 hours SA

Animal Experience:
- 3146 hours, LA and SA combined

Research Experience:
- 965 hours

Extra-Curricular:

-Veterinarian I work for
-Researcher I worked for

My concerns:
-My GPA. I got a C my first semester in Chem 1, a C+ in Organic Chem 1, a C+ in Organic Chem 2, and a C+ in Organic chem lab

I want to apply this year to: UC Davis, University of Minnesota, NC State, Oregon State, Virginia-Maryland, Iowa State, University of Georgia, UTenn, and University of Wisconsin

I would eventually want to go into neuro-oncology/surgery please let me know if there are any schools that have a strong program in this. Also let me know if there are schools on this list that I have no chance in hell getting into to help me winnow down my list.

Thank you so much!
I would not recommend applying to UGA just yet, as they take very few OOS applicants. The ones they do accept usually have GPAs of 3.8 and upwards.

I would definitely diversify your vet experience. Your SA hours are great, but you're going to need more than just SA to make up for your GPA. Your GPA is not horrible, but you'll need to find other areas you can stand out in. Whether it's LA, exotics, or zoo, add something to your vet experience.

Take your GRE soon. Many people take a couple times before they're satisfied with their scores. If you take it and do poorly, you will have time to retake it this application cycle. That being said, definitely utilize some sort of study aide for the GRE. Be it Magoosh, a workbook, Kaplan class, whatever, knowing what to expect and how to take the test well will help your scores.

Members don't see this ad :)

Veterinary Experience:
- 5162 hours SA (working in a SA hospital, volunteering in an SA emergency clinic, providing free vet care to low income people, working on an indian reservation to provide free vet care)

Animal Experience:
- 3146 hours, LA and SA combined (raised 4 service dogs, work at the University of Minnesota Vet Med Center as a receptionist for the LA hosp, SA hosp and the equine hosp)

Research Experience:
- 965 hours (worked on projects about how memory is stored, and currently working on a brain tumor research for dogs)

Extra-Curricular:

-Veterinarian I work for
-Researcher I worked for

My concerns:

Thank you so much!

Your best chances are usually your in state school. Unfortunately UC Davis is extremely quantitative with their acceptance process. The dean of students at UC Davis and I talk often and he said they score each student's application and then pick the top ~250 for interviews. Then in the MMI they score the students again and then accept the top ~140 based on their scores.

You have a lot of good attributes to your application but it appears chemistry is holding you back. Look into local community college courses and bust out solid grades and that should help you along. During that time you can look to varying your experiences. Don't be afraid to scare yourself. I took time off from my academic career and moved to Hawaii to work with wildlife and eventually found myself in Peru working with dogs and cats.

Out of the other schools on your list I only applied (and accepted) to Minnesota, but if you need anymore help, let me know (especially UC Davis).

I think that you should definitely try for this cycle. You're stats are right where they should be and you definitely have a lot of veterinary hours. My advice would be to try to get some varied experience in your veterinary hours. A lot of schools want to see that you have shadowed more than one type of specialty. As for you animal hours, you should probably see if there is a way you can get more of these. If not, you may be able to split your hours for veterinary and use some of them for animal as well. As for pet ownership, A&M only lets you use 100 hours. Some schools don't like you to put it at all. I have to caution you about applying to A&M OOS. They only accept about 8-10 students OOS and they have to be stellar. Average GPA of OOS students there last year was like a 3.9ish. A&M is huge on grades. Try really hard to do amazing in your GRE and I think you would be in a good spot.
Thanks for the reply! I really want to find more variety in experience, but unfortunately I'm just about out of time. The research I'm doing this summer is a full time position and then after that, applications are due. I've been stressing about the variety in experience for a while now, I just haven't been able to find anything other than small animal. I have shadowed in the different specialties at my hospital, such as cardio, onco, and surgery, while normally working in the ER. But I'm not sure if that counts as different experience. I just don't know how much time I really have left to fix this issue.

Thanks for the reply! I really want to find more variety in experience, but unfortunately I'm just about out of time. The research I'm doing this summer is a full time position and then after that, applications are due. I've been stressing about the variety in experience for a while now, I just haven't been able to find anything other than small animal. I have shadowed in the different specialties at my hospital, such as cardio, onco, and surgery, while normally working in the ER. But I'm not sure if that counts as different experience. I just don't know how much time I really have left to fix this issue.
I would probably skip NCSU. They don't accept many OOS applicants, and the average GPA for accepted OOS applicants is typically in the 3.8-3.9 range. I also believe they require/highly recommend vet experience in at least 3 areas.

I would probably skip NCSU. They don't accept many OOS applicants, and the average GPA for accepted OOS applicants is typically in the 3.8-3.9 range. I also believe they require/highly recommend vet experience in at least 3 areas.
Thanks for the response! Yeah I know I have like next to no chance with them. It's just really the only financially good option for me, seeing as I don't get instate prices, so I at least want to throw it in the mix. Probably a waste of $100, but it makes me feel slightly like I'm not going to die from financial suicide having one "cheaper" option on the list

Thanks for the response! Yeah I know I have like next to no chance with them. It's just really the only financially good option for me, seeing as I don't get instate prices, so I at least want to throw it in the mix. Probably a waste of $100, but it makes me feel slightly like I'm not going to die from financial suicide having one "cheaper" option on the list
Why not swap it out for Ohio? They're also on the cheaper end for OOS and I think you'd have a better shot there.

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't Kansas on the cheap side too with the possibility of filing for instate? Or am I confusing them with someplace else?
I think you're confusing Kansas State with Mizzou. :) I've never heard of anyone switching residency at Kansas State, but it's extremely common and easy to do at Mizzou.

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Research Experience:

Extra-Curricular:

-Veterinarian I work for
-Researcher I worked for

My concerns:

Thank you so much!

I just got into Davis as a CA resident . My GPA is ~3.8 and my GRE was a 321 ( Verbal + Quant). I can't remember total experience hours of the top of my head, but I had a crapton ( working in both large and small vet clinics since I was 14). I was waitlisted at Oregon and Wisconsin. Got in at Davis, Colorado and Missouri. I was offered a Minnesota interview, but declined as I had already gotten in at Davis. I was declined at Washington.

I would potentially reconsider your list a bit. I think Davis might be a stretch - I was told that getting an interview was based on GPA + GRE and then admissions were decided from the interview. But, as an instate, I would still apply there.

I would consider adding Mizzou to your list- they take alot of out of state students and you can apply for instate after the first year, which makes it one of the more affordable options, plus low cost of living.

Oregon also takes very few out of state students and it is very hard to get residency there for tuition purposes.

I don't think I've ever actually posted in here...it is time. (bored :p)

2nd time applicant, 24 yrs old, hispanic female, TX resident.
Applying to: Washington State, Colorado State, Ohio State
Interests: wildlife/exotic/zoo, large/food/equine

Degree: BS in Animal Science, LSU (2013)
Post-Bacc: additional prereq courses/retakes, accepted into a degree program starting this fall (BS in Veterinary Technology, includes tech licensure)

Cm GPA: ~3.37, general upward trend
Sci GPA: 3.27 according to VMCAS last year, will have gone up a bit since I've taken 4 more credit hours with A's

GRE: 2 attempts-
310 (161 V/148 Q/3.0 AW) Feb 2015
311 (159 V/152 Q/4.5 AW) May 2016

Vet Exp:
-1 year (~350-360hr) shadowing local mixed-practice vet in high school (2009-2010)
-Several "Spay Day" events at the LSU SVM (~28hr total) assisting with surgery prep for the cats (the later events got much less hands-on and were mostly data entry)
-Shadowing/volunteering within the past year (around 30hrs so far, will be at least 80 by the end of this month), at same local clinic but mostly under a different Dr.
-Will also gain more vet exp as part of the VT program once I start in the fall

Animal Exp:
-general pet/livestock care and husbandry, various LA coursework/labs (not really something to put on VMCAS, but)
-High school FFA; showed turkeys, 2 horse judging competitions
-a short Raptor Rehab workday at LSU
-a wildlife rehab basic skills course (made eligible to apply for rehab licensure in Louisiana)
-1 semester volunteering for Wildlife Rehab facility and related public events
-2 semesters interning at exotic animal educational facility and related events, including workshop on parrot physicals/beak-nail trimming
-2 years on LSU Poultry Judging Team, placed 8th individual in national competition
-Upcoming internship at Texas State Aquarium bird/mammal dept. this summer (June-Sept.)

Other employment/volunteer/extracurriculars:
-on-campus Student Aide job in dairy sci dept. (~900 hours)
-Short stint in remote customer service for a hatchery
-The Wildlife Society member
-Pre-Vet Club member
-National Society of Leadership and Success member
-Potters Anonymous club member (a then newly-formed student community organization)
-Quidditch team (also traveled to NYC as a World Cup volunteer)
-non-animal volunteer training at Aquarium (60 hrs)
-A few miscellaneous volunteer events

LORs:
-Former Associate Dean of College of Ag (now at another university) who was also a professor/advisor to me and attended volunteer events with
-Vet(s) I shadowed under
-last year used my poultry professor/judging team coach/advisor, but this time planning on getting one from the aquarium internship supervisor(s) instead

Concerns: GPA :/ I have an overall upward trend from a poor 1st semester, but had a fluke 6th semester in which I encountered a health problem and missed a lot/tanked 2 classes (1 D, 1 F). This bad semester was followed up by a 4.0 final semester, but is still included in my last 45 GPA because I've only been able to take classes part time (1-4 hrs) since graduating. Hoping undertaking the post-bacc can help with this, as well as offering more opportunities to bolster varied Vet experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I've ever actually posted in here...it is time. (bored :p)

2nd time applicant, 24 yrs old, hispanic female, TX resident.
Applying to: Washington State, Colorado State, Ohio State
Interests: wildlife/exotic/zoo, large/food/equine

Degree: BS in Animal Science, LSU (2013)
Post-Bacc: additional prereq courses/retakes, accepted into a degree program starting this fall (BS in Veterinary Technology, includes tech licensure)

Cm GPA: ~3.37, general upward trend
Sci GPA: 3.27 according to VMCAS last year, will have gone up a bit since I've taken 4 more credit hours with A's

GRE: 2 attempts-
310 (161 V/148 Q/3.0 AW) Feb 2015
311 (159 V/152 Q/4.5 AW) May 2016

Vet Exp:
-1 year (~350-360hr) shadowing local mixed-practice vet in high school (2009-2010)
-Several "Spay Day" events at the LSU SVM (~28hr total) assisting with surgery prep for the cats (the later events got much less hands-on and were mostly data entry)
-Shadowing/volunteering within the past year (around 30hrs so far, will be at least 80 by the end of this month), at same local clinic but mostly under a different Dr.
-Will also gain more vet exp as part of the VT program once I start in the fall

Animal Exp:
-general pet/livestock care and husbandry, various LA coursework/labs (not really something to put on VMCAS, but)
-High school FFA; showed turkeys, 2 horse judging competitions
-a short Raptor Rehab workday at LSU
-a wildlife rehab basic skills course (made eligible to apply for rehab licensure in Louisiana)
-1 semester volunteering for Wildlife Rehab facility and related public events
-2 semesters interning at exotic animal educational facility and related events, including workshop on parrot physicals/beak-nail trimming
-2 years on LSU Poultry Judging Team, placed 8th individual in national competition
-Upcoming internship at Texas State Aquarium bird/mammal dept. this summer (June-Sept.)

-on-campus Student Aide job in dairy sci dept. (~900 hours)
-Short stint in remote customer service for a hatchery
-The Wildlife Society member
-Pre-Vet Club member
-National Society of Leadership and Success member
-Potters Anonymous club member (a then newly-formed student community organization)
-Quidditch team (also traveled to NYC as a World Cup volunteer)
-non-animal volunteer training at Aquarium (60 hrs)
-A few miscellaneous volunteer events

LORs:
-Former Associate Dean of College of Ag (now at another university) who was also a professor/advisor to me and attended volunteer events with
-Vet(s) I shadowed under
-last year used my poultry professor/judging team coach/advisor, but this time planning on getting one from the aquarium internship supervisor(s) instead

Concerns: GPA :/ I have an overall upward trend from a poor 1st semester, but had a fluke 6th semester in which I encountered a health problem and missed a lot/tanked 2 classes (1 D, 1 F). This bad semester was followed up by a 4.0 final semester, but is still included in my last 45 GPA because I've only been able to take classes part time (1-4 hrs) since graduating. Hoping undertaking the post-bacc can help with this, as well as offering more opportunities to bolster varied Vet experiences.

So, I know you said you weren't applying to LSU again, and the grades wouldn't be included anyways, but you know of their policy of any A's in science classes bumping up your required GPA? Apparently vet tech classed count toward that! They included the A's I made over two semesters, which was super nice. I was wondering how my required was so high!

So, I know you said you weren't applying to LSU again, and the grades wouldn't be included anyways, but you know of their policy of any A's in science classes bumping up your required GPA? Apparently vet tech classed count toward that! They included the A's I made over two semesters, which was super nice. I was wondering how my required was so high!
Yeah, I know one thing they always mentioned to us was that they'd also include "A" Animal Sci classes in the sci GPA which really helped bolster my sci GPA there! Unfortunately my last 45 was calc'd at a 3.14 or something because of that bad semester, which is probably what hurt me the most since their initial OOS selection is based entirely on academic rankings before moving on to the subjectives (very competitive in in the GPA department!). But yeah, I probably wouldn't be able to apply there for this cycle anyway for the same reason that I can't add Wisconsin or Cornell after all, I won't have time to take Physics II/any other missing prereq by the spring due to the summer internship and the vet tech program. MAYBE next year would be possible, since then my tech courses would be in GPAs and I'd be able to take phys2 in the summer or something. My chances would be a lot better if I could gain LA residency but I am far from financially independent at this time so that's just not possible for me, haha.

@Devastating You may have mentioned this elsewhere and my memory is just being foggy, but I was wondering if there was any particular reason you weren't planning to apply to TAMU this cycle since it's your IS school? Just curious!

I think your plans with the vet tech program/post-bacc are very on point and will substantially improve your application if you do well. Strictly numerically, the vet hours could be beefed up a bit, especially with the lower GPAs (if you can get north of 1000 vet hours, I'd say that's a pretty safe place to be), but your animal and vet experiences together are diverse enough that I don't think it's going to be a huge sticking point.

I think the vet tech program will help towards both of those aims. Really reach for those As and solidify your upward trend -- that may be what makes or breaks your chances!

@Devastating You may have mentioned this elsewhere and my memory is just being foggy, but I was wondering if there was any particular reason you weren't planning to apply to TAMU this cycle since it's your IS school? Just curious!

I think your plans with the vet tech program/post-bacc are very on point and will substantially improve your application if you do well. Strictly numerically, the vet hours could be beefed up a bit, especially with the lower GPAs (if you can get north of 1000 vet hours, I'd say that's a pretty safe place to be), but your animal and vet experiences together are diverse enough that I don't think it's going to be a huge sticking point.

I think the vet tech program will help towards both of those aims. Really reach for those As and solidify your upward trend -- that may be what makes or breaks your chances!
I probably have mentioned it on some scattered C/O threads, but the only reason I haven't applied to TAMU is because I didn't have all their science prereqs (they used to require 2 of almost everything: physics, Ochem, biochem), and since I already had several schools in which I'd met/was in progress of meeting all their requirements, I didn't want to spend more time on dreaded biochem/ochem 2 which none of my other schools of interest required. However, starting this year I think they no longer require Biochem II, which is very good because it means that if I need to make a 3rd attempt all I would need is to take care of the physics and ochem 2 to be eligible!

And thank you, that's exactly what I am aiming for! the advisors here recommended this program when I looked into starting a post-bacc or masters, and it's also great that the director himself is an Auburn alumnus and formerly served on their admissions committee. The program takes 30 students per cohort and he was very excited to have me because of my already having an Animal Sci degree. All that remains is for me to take Accounting (online from a CC next month), and to finish up those 80 shadowing hours/getting the vet's LOR which I needed anyway for VMCAS, shouldn't take longer than a week or 2 of shadowing days. I was really looking for a way to improve GPA since it's hard to do once you've earned this many credits, and this was just perfect because it'll help me in the vet exp hours department as well (since I know I don't have many hours on that end compared to other applicants and my general animal hours). I've no doubt matured a lot/gotten better at study methods since I started undergrad, so am not too worried about the courses' rigor yet (we'll see if that changes once I start, haha, but majority A's is definitely the goal). Thanks!

For anyone who used Magoosh: did anyone do the 3 month study schedule? I signed up for it, but I'm having difficulties deciding between the "Beginners" or the "Advanced". The advanced is for people with 310-320's, and I have a 306. How did you decide?

Go through every single video. Take notes if you don't get it. After a while the practice problems get repetitive. Understanding the concepts is most important. Watch the videos on simple multiplication, maybe you'll pick up a trick/shortcut. Remember, the GRE is standardized testing and as such, they're sticking to an outline. It's predictable once you have the concepts drilled into your head.

Hi everybody! I am having a really hard time deciding whether I should apply this cycle or take a gap year (due primarily to my low experience hours), so I would really appreciate any input you all have. This was a very late realization for me, so I haven't had a lot of time to gain experience yet. Really sorry that this is such a long post. Thanks so much for the input in advance!

Rising senior studying Physiology, AZ resident
Planning to Apply to: UC Davis, CSU, WSU, Oregon, Midwestern, and possibly a couple others including Oklahoma State and Mizzou (also open to suggestions that weigh academics heavily)
GPA: 4.0
GRE: taking mid June, but Magoosh is predicting mine to be a Q 160-164 and V 160-165 right now with lots of practice to go

Vet experience: (689 hours—this is what I would have by the time I submit my application this cycle if I choose to)
510 small animal GP (mostly shadowing, but also assisting with basic duties; 2 different clinics) -- 1 LOR
90 hours shelter (assisting with vaccine clinics, continuing senior year)
30 hours equine (assisting and shadowing)
9 hours large animal (shadowing)
30 hours diagnostic lab (volunteering, continuing senior year)
20 hours zoo (shadowing)
I am also going to try and shadow a lab animal vet for a day this summer

Animal experience
: (573 hours)
420 ish hours as an animal care assistant/intern at the desert museum
30 hours shelter (dog walking and cat enrichment, continuing)
30 hours large animal (animal care and working with kids during summer program)
50 hours rescue organization (adoption counselor)
5 hours TNR (continuing)
35 hours bottle-feeding a feral litter and finding them all homes
3 hours vaccinating and restraining sheep

Research experience
:
90 hours bioinformatics
500 hours microbiology

Other Employment:
3 different jobs as a graphic designer, 1 is current
1 year as a server
1 summer working as a program assistant for an honors college summer program

Other ECs:
- Honors College Ambassadors (3 years and counting), will serve on a leadership team next year -- 1 LOR
- Member (1 year) and co-chair (1 year) of a faculty award committee
- General chemistry preceptor/tutor (1 semester) -- 1 LOR, also had this professor for 1 year
- 12 years of soccer (captain of some teams), 10 years of softball
- member of Student Health Advocacy Committee within my school's student government (1 year)
- graphic design for around 7 years, including winning state and national awards
- some non-animal volunteering
- 30 hours statistics research workshop at NCSU

My concerns:
- vet and animal experience hours
- LORs (one should be very strong; the other two would be good, but possibly fairly generic)
- I am interested in shelter medicine, but don't have much experience in that yet--this would probably be the focus of my gap year, along with gaining more large animal experience

If I were in your shoes I really wouldn't feel compelled to take a gap year. My feeling is that you should rack up experience over the summer and get your applications out this year... unless you want to use next year for some sort of personal development or pursuit of interesting experiences before starting school, which I could understand. You already have good experience hours and you've more than demonstrated a commitment to continuing to gain experiemce. I'd be shocked if you didn't land several acceptances.

1st time applicant, 25 yrs old, female, OOS everywhere (my state has no contract seats, either:()
Applying to: UF, Western, Midwestern, UMN, MSU, VMRCVM
Interests: mixed animal, exotics, emergency medicine

Degree: BS in Biology (2012) - finished my degree in 3 years
Post-Bacc: took additional pre-reqs and retook two classes to bring up GPA

Cm GPA: ~3.0 after this summer
Sci GPA: about the same- not sure which classes to count/where on VMCAS to check
Last 45: ~3.5 (30 credits were taken post-bacc with a 3.7, the other 15 were taken from my last semester of undergrad)

GRE: 159V/161Q/3.5A
-
Vet Exp:
- over 7,000 hours working at 3 different animal hospitals, all of which saw small animals, exotics, birds, reptiles (one of them was very focused on emergencies- I have about 2,000 hours at that one)

Animal Exp:
- over 2,500 hours working with reptiles and amphibians at my local zoo
- ~250 hours taking classes and preparing for competition agility with my dog
- over 1,000 hours working on family farms during the summer (mostly cows, pigs, chickens)
- 100 hours working with goats and sheep
- ~600 hours of horseback riding lessons/tacking horses up/mucking out stalls/etc (I used to come early and leave late for my lessons to hang out at the barn a lot)
- 800 hours of volunteering at local animal shelter and with various rescues

- surfing (12 years)
- French school from 1-8 grade (it was a separate school I went to twice a week to learn how to read/speak/write French- I am fluent and my parents are French immigrants- I also have dual citizenship, but I don't know if they care about something like that)
- published model (just something on the side I have been doing for a few years for fun, not sure if I should include on my app)
- 2 years of Hip-Hop dance lessons

LORs:
- 3 veterinarians I have worked with
- supervisor at zoo
- supervisor at goat farm

Concerns: Obviously my GPA- while I was in undergrad I have a family illness going on that I was focusing my time on. I graduated and years later am taking classes and finally applying. I also am worried about my lack of LA vet experience. I live in a very metropolitan area, and there are no LA vets within an hour+ of where I live (I constantly look for shadowing/work opportunities). Any input is appreciated.

Hi everybody! I am having a really hard time deciding whether I should apply this cycle or take a gap year (due primarily to my low experience hours), so I would really appreciate any input you all have. This was a very late realization for me, so I haven't had a lot of time to gain experience yet. Really sorry that this is such a long post. Thanks so much for the input in advance!

Planning to Apply to: UC Davis, CSU, WSU, Oregon, Midwestern, and possibly a couple others including Oklahoma State and Mizzou (also open to suggestions that weigh academics heavily)
GRE: taking mid June, but Magoosh is predicting mine to be a Q 160-164 and V 160-165 right now with lots of practice to go

Vet experience: (689 hours—this is what I would have by the time I submit my application this cycle if I choose to)
510 small animal GP (mostly shadowing, but also assisting with basic duties; 2 different clinics) -- 1 LOR
20 hours zoo (shadowing)

Animal experience
5 hours TNR (continuing)

Research experience
:
90 hours bioinformatics
500 hours microbiology

Other Employment:
1 year as a server

Other ECs:
- Honors College Ambassadors (3 years and counting), will serve on a leadership team next year -- 1 LOR
- General chemistry preceptor/tutor (1 semester) -- 1 LOR, also had this professor for 1 year
- member of Student Health Advocacy Committee within my school's student government (1 year)
- graphic design for around 7 years, including winning state and national awards

My concerns:
- LORs (one should be very strong; the other two would be good, but possibly fairly generic)
- I am interested in shelter medicine, but don't have much experience in that yet--this would probably be the focus of my gap year, along with gaining more large animal experience
If you have the pre-reqs (or can make them happen) consider NC State. Super cheap compared to many of the others and you hit the high gpa and diverse experiences that they tend to like for OOSers.

Hello, @SwimSwimSwimm!

Your application, especially in the numerical sense, looks fantastic. A 4.0 is certainly impressive and will make you attractive to any schools you choose to apply to, especially so if you can manage to score in Magoosh's predicted ranges. Not many vet school applicants can bring either a near perfect GRE score or a 4.0 to the table; I'd imagine that far fewer can bring both.

I do agree that, if you are interested in shelter medicine, it would be prudent to obtain more hours in that field. That would be a great way to utilize that gap year! And you may be able to get yet another eLOR out of it, too! Outside of that, you've got lots of diversity in hours, which is great. The research sounds interesting, too.

Even now, though, the impression I have is that your application is actually quite strong as-is. So it is totally up to you.

I would go for it this year, personally; the shelter experience thing is a pretty minor issue, and it looks like you do have some hours in that setting already, so it isn't like you don't have any background to base that interest on. While there are zero guarantees in this process, I think you've got a really good shot of at least a couple of acceptances this cycle if you want to go for it! Your application definitely puts mine to shame!

Best of luck!

If I were in your shoes I really wouldn't feel compelled to take a gap year. My feeling is that you should rack up experience over the summer and get your applications out this year... unless you want to use next year for some sort of personal development or pursuit of interesting experiences before starting school, which I could understand. You already have good experience hours and you've more than demonstrated a commitment to continuing to gain experiemce. I'd be shocked if you didn't land several acceptances.

Thank you both so much for the advice. I really appreciate it! I think I will probably give it a shot this year if I do well on the GRE in June.

If you have the pre-reqs (or can make them happen) consider NC State. Super cheap compared to many of the others and you hit the high gpa and diverse experiences that they tend to like for OOSers.

Thank you very much for the input! I would love to add NC State to my list if I have a chance, so I will definitely look more into it.

Thank you both so much for the advice. I really appreciate it! I think I will probably give it a shot this year if I do well on the GRE in June.

Thank you very much for the input! I would love to add NC State to my list if I have a chance, so I will definitely look more into it.

Are you applying as a WICHE applicant?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are you applying as a WICHE applicant?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yup! That's another reason I wanted to try applying this year because I was told that will unfortunately start to be phased out as soon the U of A program starts (which I wish wasn't happening haha but that's another story)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup! That's another reason I wanted to try applying this year because I was told that will unfortunately start to be phased out as soon the U of A program starts (which I wish wasn't happening haha but that's another story)
Good luck! try to get good LORs. UC Davis has a very quantitative way of looking at applicants, so you've got a good shot getting an interview there IMO. Oregon doesn't take very many OOS people. But you definitely meet all the qualifications for both Oregon and WSU.

Good luck! try to get good LORs. UC Davis has a very quantitative way of looking at applicants, so you've got a good shot getting an interview there IMO. Oregon doesn't take very many OOS people. But you definitely meet all the qualifications for both Oregon and WSU.

Thank you! Hope you enjoy Oregon :)

20 hours zoo (shadowing)

Animal experience
5 hours TNR (continuing)

Research experience
:
90 hours bioinformatics
500 hours microbiology

Other Employment:
1 year as a server

Other ECs:

My concerns:

I think you also have a decent shot at LSU for an OOS seat. Like Davis, things are done very quantitatively. your GPA and GRE is a high percentage of the eval. They also have a great shelter med program! Historically, they've only taken around 15 OOs out of the 89 seats, but that number is fluid and they actually considered taking up to 25 this year! There's also rumors of increasing the class to near 120 and making all 30 odd new seats OOS. Check out their website!

I think you also have a decent shot at LSU for an OOS seat. Like Davis, things are done very quantitatively. your GPA and GRE is a high percentage of the eval. They also have a great shelter med program! Historically, they've only taken around 15 OOs out of the 89 seats, but that number is fluid and they actually considered taking up to 25 this year! There's also rumors of increasing the class to near 120 and making all 30 odd new seats OOS. Check out their website!

Thank you for the suggestion! I will definitely check it out :)

What are my chances:

24 yr old, Female, Texas resident
B.S. in Animal Science, West Texas A&M University

CUM GPA: 3.63
Science GPA: 3.2 (a little low - I took Organic 1 once and got a D, so I need to retake Organic and then take organic 2 and biochem. Also I wasn't sure exactly which classes calculated in to this, it could be a lot higher if I left out some)
Last 45 hours: 3.85 (I did better as the years went on apparently, my junior and senior level classes I did really well)
GRE:
Verbal: 165
Quant: 152
Analytical: 4

Veterinary experience:
Small Animal: 1120
I'm a veterinary technician at a low cost spay/neuter clinic so I spend 8 hours a day sedating/prepping animals for surgery and monitoring recovery. There's a little set up/check in/clean up time but not much. At the moment I plan to continue working here while I take my remaining prerequisites. It may not be very diverse but it is definitely unique.

Animal Experience:
SA: 960 (boarding kennel)
LA: 770 (varsity equestrian team, and volunteer experience at an equine assisted therapy facility)

Other:
400 hours teaching zoology lab as an undergraduate. I doubt that counts for anything but it feels like it should, there was a lot of dissection involved.

That isn't counting any years of pet/horse ownership.

I feel pretty good about my overall GPA, but obviously my science GPA needs some work and I need to actually finish my science courses. I'm enrolled for the fall at a local community college for Organic 1 (and introduction to psychology, not worried about that). Of course I had to go looking at vet school requirements for schools other than A&M tonight and about had a panic attack when I saw Oklahoma requires all prerequisites be taken at a four year university. I then blindly submitted applications (to the tune of $$ application fees for each one) to the nearest four year universities (not really near at all, unfortunately) so that I can get on the waiting list for their organic 1 classes this fall. But I didn't notice that on any of the other websites I looked at, so I'm definitely maintaining my enrollment at the CC in case I don't get in to a class at the four years around me.

So, just to update this, I left my job as a vet tech at a spay/neuter clinic and moved to a job at a large equine hospital as an overnight ICU technician. It's AMAZING. I've already seen some fascinating things. One night we had a case that none of the vets there had ever seen and I was later told I would never see again in my career because it happened so rarely.

So SA experience is ~2000 hours, right this moment LA ~ 640, with more by the time applications are submitted.

I completed Ochem 1 and 2 with B's both semesters - the most depressing sort of B, I studied like crazy and made an 88 both semesters, always leaving me wondering if I couldn't have studied just a little harder and done a little better for an A. Working overnight and then going to class is difficult but worth it to be able to work full time. I'm still working on enrolling in biochem for the fall semester. I also want to enroll in general biology to allow me to apply to places that require 8 semester hours of general biology.

I don't know how heavily they weigh things like extracurriculars and "leadership positions" but it did occur to me today that I wasn't in a ton of organizations in college. And then there's that D in organic chemistry. Those are some definite weaknesses.

So, just to update this, I left my job as a vet tech at a spay/neuter clinic and moved to a job at a large equine hospital as an overnight ICU technician. It's AMAZING. I've already seen some fascinating things. One night we had a case that none of the vets there had ever seen and I was later told I would never see again in my career because it happened so rarely.

So SA experience is ~2000 hours, right this moment LA ~ 640, with more by the time applications are submitted.

I completed Ochem 1 and 2 with B's both semesters - the most depressing sort of B, I studied like crazy and made an 88 both semesters, always leaving me wondering if I couldn't have studied just a little harder and done a little better for an A. Working overnight and then going to class is difficult but worth it to be able to work full time. I'm still working on enrolling in biochem for the fall semester. I also want to enroll in general biology to allow me to apply to places that require 8 semester hours of general biology.

I don't know how heavily they weigh things like extracurriculars and "leadership positions" but it did occur to me today that I wasn't in a ton of organizations in college. And then there's that D in organic chemistry. Those are some definite weaknesses.

I think we all tend to forget that we're only human. We can't all be perfect in every area! All we can do is our best and then let the Gods of Veterinary School Admissions decide the rest:)

I think we all tend to forget that we're only human. We can't all be perfect in every area! All we can do is our best and then let the Gods of Veterinary School Admissions decide the rest:)

Ah, but if we could be perfect in every area then the gods of veterinary school admissions could say "We have found the chosen one." and we could dispense with any other nonsense.

:nod::)

Ah, but if we could be perfect in every area then the gods of veterinary school admissions could say "We have found the chosen one." and we could dispense with any other nonsense.

Being the chosen one would probably decrease some of this stress haha...well maybe...I'm sure it would also come with a bunch of other responsibilities that I wouldn't want...

Hey guys,

Over the past year I have been really considering giving it a shot at trying to get into vet school. I have always loved animals and this was always something that was in the back of my mind. Recently, I have been considering it more seriously.

Here is my situation:

I am a 25 year old returning student.
I have an associates degree from a community college in business with a low gpa of 2.89.
I have recently started a new undergrad degree at the university of Tennessee. I have only completed one semester, but my GPA there is a 3.91 so far.
I have A's in all of my science classes so far.
I will have all of the prerequisites completed by Fall 2017, so I could technically apply for the first time next year.

My other big problem, I have no hours of experience with animals. That is what I am trying to focus on.
I have been applying for part time jobs at local vet offices that require no experience and am hoping that I am able to get one soon.
I have also been considering volunteering at my local humane society.

Any advice on all of this?
How many experience hours should I have at minimum to apply?
Will my old low GPA make it impossible for me to get in one day?

THANK YOU!!

Hey guys,

Over the past year I have been really considering giving it a shot at trying to get into vet school. I have always loved animals and this was always something that was in the back of my mind. Recently, I have been considering it more seriously.

Here is my situation:

I have an associates degree from a community college in business with a low gpa of 2.89.
I have recently started a new undergrad degree at the university of Tennessee. I have only completed one semester, but my GPA there is a 3.91 so far.
I will have all of the prerequisites completed by Fall 2017, so I could technically apply for the first time next year.

My other big problem, I have no hours of experience with animals. That is what I am trying to focus on.
I have been applying for part time jobs at local vet offices that require no experience and am hoping that I am able to get one soon.

THANK YOU!!

You need to look into the schools that you plan on applying to. Some have a minimum number of required experience hours, others have a suggested minimum.
Outside of specific school requirements, I don't think there is some magic minimum. Just get as many as you can and try to be somewhat diverse in the hours you pick up so that your experience isn't all in one area. Volunteering is a good way to get hours and so is shadowing if you have a hard time finding a paid position in a veterinary clinic.

As to your GPA... no, it will certainly not make it impossible for you to get in one day. Even if you struggle to bring your cumulative up, there are schools that put greater emphasis on the last 45 credit GPA and pre-req/science GPA.

Hey guys,

Here is my situation:

THANK YOU!!
This has come up time and time again around here, but it is worth repeating. You can't really know that you want to be a vet if you have no experience. Beyond it just being a requirement for school, you want to know what you're getting into. That actually would have been my first step before even setting down the path toward vet school in any other way. It is not enough to have always loved animals.

That said, as far as gaining experience goes, there are a lot of options, and you want to try for some diversity in your experiences for most schools. The number of hours also depends on the school. With your past GPA I would try to get some really strong experience, because that GPA will come into consideration (again, for most schools. Some of this research you will have to do yourself!). Many schools suggest a 500 hour minimum, and 3 different areas is an arbitrary but good goal to aim for. You could do small animal, large animal, and zoo. Or food animal, exotics, wildlife, etc etc etc. Humane society is a great place to start and may help you in getting other experiences because you'll have something to put on your resume. It is going to be tough to get a job at a vet clinic with absolutely no animal experience, but you can also try shadowing.

Why not swap it out for Ohio? They're also on the cheaper end for OOS and I think you'd have a better shot there.
When I did the math, it wasn't on the cheaper end, even if getting instate after one year. Since the first year would cost $63,000 and the other three 30 something, it kinda evens out to the same price as some others.

With this semester's final grades in, I'm hoping for some more feedback -- and possibly some recommendations on where to apply?

Female, 23, NY state resident, first time applying
A.S. in Natural Sciences and Mathematics from SUNY Orange County Community College
B.S. in Animal Science at Cornell University, expected May 2017

cGPA: 3.12
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2
Science GPA: 3.2
Last 45 GPA: 3.0

GRE : Q/V 150/150 - Retaking!!
Some special circumstances: these scores are with little to no studying. I have started meeting with a private tutor once weekly, and will be meeting with him twice weekly once this semester is over. Doing this until I take the exam again in early August, and I will also have 50% extra time on the exam as an ADD accommodation (I didn't have this the first time).

Veterinary Experience:
Small animal hospital #1: 4000 hours over 4 years
Small animal hospital #2: 2000 hours over 2 years
Large animal ambulatory service: 300 hours, still working here
Wildlife clinic: 50 hours, still working here as well

Animal Experience:
Adoption center volunteer at a PetSmart (cats only): 100 hours
Horseback riding lessons: 800 hours over 4 years
My own pet sitting business (small/large/exotic): 1000 hours over 7 years
Volunteer animal caretaker at local nature center (wildlife/exotics): 100 hours
Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine Open House volunteer, Responsible Cat Ownership booth, 2 years in a row, 20 hours total

Research:
Cornell Baker Institute for Animal Health (genetics), 400 hours, received academic credit
Laboratory technician (paid) in Cornell animal science department (reproductive bio), 1000 hours (the amount I will have when I apply - currently working here)

ECs:
President of Biology Club at SUNY Orange for 1 academic year
Member of Cornell Pre-vet club
Mentor for Cornell Pre-Veterinary Peer Mentoring Program
Cornell Tradition Fellow (recognition for commitment to volunteer & paid work while in college full time)

Employment:
Peer Advisor in SUNY Orange office of academic advising, 320 hours
Coordinator of Cornell Leadership Program for Veterinary Students, summer 2015, 600 hours

Non-animal volunteer:
Cornell Expand Your Horizons (EYH) conference (promotes STEM careers to young girls in MS/HS): 10 hours
Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) lab experience (also promotes STEM for kids in MS/HS): 8 hours

LoRs:
1 small animal vet
1 large animal vet
1 wildlife vet
PI of current research lab
Biochemistry professor (tentative)

I feel like this is completely hopeless at this point with my GPA lol, and no significant trend of improvement or anything. I've been in about the same GPA range the entire time. I really have no idea what to do to increase my chances. I only have a year left of undergrad, and I obviously can't guarantee that I'll do so much better then either. Schools outside of the US aren't an option for me for various personal/financial reasons. I haven't failed any classes, nor have I gotten many Cs. Just lots of Bs.

With this semester's final grades in, I'm hoping for some more feedback -- and possibly some recommendations on where to apply?

A.S. in Natural Sciences and Mathematics from SUNY Orange County Community College

Some special circumstances: these scores are with little to no studying. I have started meeting with a private tutor once weekly, and will be meeting with him twice weekly once this semester is over. Doing this until I take the exam again in early August, and I will also have 50% extra time on the exam as an ADD accommodation (I didn't have this the first time).

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:
Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine Open House volunteer, Responsible Cat Ownership booth, 2 years in a row, 20 hours total

Research:
Cornell Baker Institute for Animal Health (genetics), 400 hours, received academic credit
Laboratory technician (paid) in Cornell animal science department (reproductive bio), 1000 hours (the amount I will have when I apply - currently working here)

ECs:
Cornell Tradition Fellow (recognition for commitment to volunteer & paid work while in college full time)

Employment:
Coordinator of Cornell Leadership Program for Veterinary Students, summer 2015, 600 hours

Non-animal volunteer:
Cornell Expand Your Horizons (EYH) conference (promotes STEM careers to young girls in MS/HS): 10 hours
Science & Technology Entry Program (STEP) lab experience (also promotes STEM for kids in MS/HS): 8 hours

LoRs:
1 small animal vet
1 large animal vet
1 wildlife vet

I feel like this is completely hopeless at this point with my GPA lol, and no significant trend of improvement or anything. I've been in about the same GPA range the entire time. I really have no idea what to do to increase my chances. I only have a year left of undergrad, and I obviously can't guarantee that I'll do so much better then either. Schools outside of the US aren't an option for me for various personal/financial reasons. I haven't failed any classes, nor have I gotten many Cs. Just lots of Bs.
Just a question first, but how much time do you spend doing all those work/volunteer experiences during the semester or whenever you have classes? You're currently doing research in the lab, wildlife clinic, and large animal ambulatory. Do you think you might be spreading yourself a little thin?

Just a question first, but how much time do you spend doing all those work/volunteer experiences during the semester or whenever you have classes? You're currently doing research in the lab, wildlife clinic, and large animal ambulatory. Do you think you might be spreading yourself a little thin?

Maybe, but only with the research. I have to work in the lab -- its a paid job that I use to pay for my rent, and I wouldn't be able to live here otherwise. The wildlife clinic is mainly on weekends, and just whenever I have time. It's very much voluntary - I don't have to sign up for shifts if I can't. LA ambulatory is also only on weekends, and whenever I have time - I also didn't ride with them during the semester. I only restarted once the semester ended a couple of weeks ago. Lab job is 20hours/week, and certainly can get in the way of study time. But like I said, I need the job =\.

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Research:

ECs:

Employment:

Non-animal volunteer:

LoRs:
1 small animal vet
1 large animal vet
1 wildlife vet

Have you used ADD accommodations in your classes, not just for the GRE?

Have you used ADD accommodations in your classes, not just for the GRE?
Yes, but that only started this past semester. I am still working out the kinks of the diagnosis with my doctor and counselor -- trying to figure out study methods that work for me, test taking strategies, etc. Still a work in progress, and unfortunately very untimely.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Yes, but that only started this past semester. I am still working out the kinks of the diagnosis with my doctor and counselor -- trying to figure out study methods that work for me, test taking strategies, etc. Still a work in progress, and unfortunately very untimely.

I think that's important though. Better to figure it out now than try to start vet school not knowing. It's possible to get in with a GPA like yours, but it helps a lot if there's a reason behind it (like ADD). Especially if you can talk about taking positive steps towards coping with the issue, and then show some improvement in fall semester grades. I think how you choose to tell that story could make the difference for you, because the rest of your application looks like it would be fantastic.

I think that's important though. Better to figure it out now than try to start vet school not knowing. It's possible to get in with a GPA like yours, but it helps a lot if there's a reason behind it (like ADD). Especially if you can talk about taking positive steps towards coping with the issue, and then show some improvement in fall semester grades. I think how you choose to tell that story could make the difference for you, because the rest of your application looks like it would be fantastic.

I think I feel the same way with regards to how I choose to tell the story. The trouble with that is, I'm stuck. I wrote a PS and have gotten enough feedback to warrant a rewrite. I just don't know what to say. I don't feel unique or different. I've had lots of difficulties along the way, and I've remained determined and persistent in my goals...but that's not "special," if you know what I mean? I had an explanation statement written out, but now I'm not sure if I should utilize the space at all, just considering that I have never had a particularly "bad" semester - I've been pretty consistent with Bs along with some As scattered in there. I don't know. I don't know anything lol.

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Research:

ECs:

Employment:

Non-animal volunteer:

LoRs:
1 small animal vet
1 large animal vet
1 wildlife vet

As far as apps go, chose ones that aren't very quantitative. UC Davis and NCSU are ones to avoid. Try ones that look at you as a package. CSU seems to do that. MS State seemed to do this for me as my GPA was quite lower than their average accepted but they gave me one of the 33 OOS spots. Grades are only used In the subjective review there. They're also a teeny tiny bit cheaper OOS than other schools. Illinois is another option. They use an academic cutoff, and if you pass that grades are no longer part of the evaluation. Inspite of this, still apply to your IS. I didn't think I'd get an interview to my IS school becuase they also evaluated quantitiatively, but I still did. If you can get the cost savings it is worth it.

I think I feel the same way with regards to how I choose to tell the story. The trouble with that is, I'm stuck. I wrote a PS and have gotten enough feedback to warrant a rewrite. I just don't know what to say. I don't feel unique or different. I've had lots of difficulties along the way, and I've remained determined and persistent in my goals...but that's not "special," if you know what I mean? I had an explanation statement written out, but now I'm not sure if I should utilize the space at all, just considering that I have never had a particularly "bad" semester - I've been pretty consistent with Bs along with some As scattered in there. I don't know. I don't know anything lol.
When I get stuck, I've found it's because I'm writing something that I don't really want to write. So instead, I just write the pieces that really interest me, the things that I have stories about that I really want to tell. They don't have to all fit together. Some of them won't be used at all. But it will get the words flowing again. And it usually sparks an aha! moment when I realize what I should have been writing about all along. It also helps me get started if I picture myself having a conversation with someone I know, so I write like I'm talking to them.

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Research:

ECs:

Employment:

Non-animal volunteer:

LoRs:
1 small animal vet
1 large animal vet
1 wildlife vet

A bit of positive news -- my biochemistry professor has sent me a note saying that he would be happy to write me a LoR, and that he deeply admired how hard I worked in his class! This makes me super happy because now I have a Cornell professor to speak for my academic potential.

Should I be super happy about it? Does anyone think it will it make much of a difference?

When I did the math, it wasn't on the cheaper end, even if getting instate after one year. Since the first year would cost $63,000 and the other three 30 something, it kinda evens out to the same price as some others.
Cheaper end for OOS. But this is coming from the perspective of someone going to UTK so...grain of salt? ;)

First time applying, age 24, male

Associates of applied science (computer science)
Associates of science (pre-medicine) - > IT wasn't for me... switched majors with no regrets at all as I absolutely have fallen in love with the core science classes (even orgo)!
Working towards a bachelor degree in chemistry (anticipated spring of 2018)

Cumm GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
Last 45 : 4.0
# of credits: ~130

GRE: coming soon

SA experience: ~2100 as a vet assistant (drawing blood via jugular-cephalic-and saphenous veins, running in house blood work, looking at fecals, administering vaccines/medications, obtaining histories, restraint, etc etc. Do all of this on the daily)
LA experience (food animal): ~200 shadowing (very hands on, pulling calves, administering vaccines/medications, restraint, etc etc)

No volunteer experience, the past 5 years I've been working close to full time as well as going to school full time, even during the summer semester (not just veterinary experience: ranging from grocery store stocker to chemistry lab tech)

Applying instate to MSU but I am not sure where else to apply (suggestions please!!!!!)... Have some interest in food animal but I don't think that's what I'd solely want to do (I enjoy the SA environment a lot and I think I'd enjoy working as a mixed animal vet)

LOR
Genetics Professor
SA DVM - that I work with
SA DVM - that I work with
LA DVM - that I shadow
-------------------------------
I do have a couple of questions that I hope you wonderful people can address:
1. I have yet to take biochemistry (will be taking it this fall, only pre-req I'm missing for MSU), even though I will not have the class completed for the deadline of the application - will it still count if I intend to complete it before the spring of 2017?
2. As far as out of state options go, I'd like a few suggestions based on my "stats". I'm very open minded to moving

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.