What are my dubious chances of getting into a DO school thread ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doc Henry said:
-Competitive figure skater for 10yrs; now coach in spare time

This is off-topic and has limited relevance, but, wow, that experience sounds very interesting. It really jumped out at me. It's refreshing because my eyes are used to seeing all the usual premedical suspects.

Members don't see this ad.

This is off-topic and has limited relevance, but, wow, that experience sounds very interesting. It really jumped out at me. It's refreshing because my eyes are used to seeing all the usual premedical suspects.

-Is it usually a plus to list non-medical related EC's, esp ones that would be unique or out of the ordinary? Also, what is a tactful way of listing ec's on AAMCOS without sounding too much like 'bragging' ?

Hi...I'm 22 and in college, but I did a lot more EC stuff in high school, because I had a baby in college.

I saw someone posting stuff they did when they were 16....do those things matter on the med school application?

I played violin for 10 years, was concert mistress my senior year in high school at a Visual Performing Arts magnet school, toured Austria Germany and Switzerland with the Florida Symphony Youth Orchestra when I was 16...do those things count?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Oh, and since I'm already posting on here...
I went to a community college, where I took Bio 1 and 2 and Chem 1, and I got 2 A's and a B in those. My overall CC GPA was 3.4 ish when I was there, but when I transfered to University it transfered as 2.98 (don't know why yet). My University GPA is 3.188. I'm a mother, I think that makes me a nontraditional applicant. Would like to go to school in FL. My major is Spanish, and I volunteer as a Spanish - English interpreter at a clinic that sees uninsured patients for free.

That's my background....what are my chances, if you can gather much from this. What do I need to do besides do well on the MCAT?

~Julie

Members don't see this ad :)
I also meant to ask, do the schools see an undergraduate GPA (combined CC and University) or are they viewed separately?

Thanks!

-Is it usually a plus to list non-medical related EC's, esp ones that would be unique or out of the ordinary? Also, what is a tactful way of listing ec's on AAMCOS without sounding too much like 'bragging' ?

Hey, Dissonance, I'm not an adcom member and I think different adcoms react to different things differently (they are, after all, human, you know), but I think it is certainly good to list the items that are important to you, even if they aren't "medically-related." Many of my items weren't directly related to medicine, but they were significant experiences and/or events in my life; some were truly defining. If it was a solid experience and you think it'll round you out, then yes, definitely list it. My guess is that medical schools don't want borg-like, med-clones, they want interesting people who want to become doctors, future physicians who will be able to relate to, connect with, and treat patients from different backgrounds and have a variety of interests. Of course, you'll also want to list the usual suspects as well, if you have them. It's good to be well-rounded, but make sure the meet the basics, too. ;)

How not to sound like "bragging?" Well, this may sound inane, but the best is to just be authentic, accurate, and matter-of-fact, without extraneous fluff and ego. Don't make up stuff and don't stretch the truth. If you can talk about your experiences intelligently and demonstrate how it contributed and impacted you, on a deeper level, and what you learned from it, then you'll be solid. It is not uncommon for interviews to ask you things directly from your EC list on the AACOMAS, so make sure you can back everything up with fact.

Someone please answer my question, please...

It's nice to hear that! To me the figure skating thing doesn't seem unique because it has always been a part of my life; but I do think it will help me stand out (hopefully)

my turn to take advantage of this wonderful thread.. i'm 22 yrs old and not a urm:

ok so i've taken a year to retake some of my science classes that i did poorly in.. soo as it stands my GPA is

AACOM
GPA: 3.6ish
SCI: 3.45ish
MCAT: TBD

ECs:
my decision to pursue the medical degree started late in my college career. so its kinda not too great. kinda worried about my lack of research exp. sooo bare with me

EMT- worked for about a semester and a half doing transport. Got a lot of action for the amount of time i worked even while training. maybe stuff i can bring up in an interview?
CPR Instructor - been teaching CPR since the summer of 2006 for the red cross
Assistant plehbotomy teacher- since the beginning of college... i didnt do much during the earlier years but now i can cover for a teacher if he/she is out. figure this would be worth a mention
Mentoring- mentor for elementary school kids for the year of 2006-2007. Will probably help out in the summerschool program too
Shadowed a DO and got a good letter
awesome letter from an english teacher and a clinical professor for our EMT program... also 2 OK ones for science professors.

random ish:
Pilipino society (very active)
-participated in a number of intercollegiate dialogues and was a moderator for a workshop
brazilian jiu jitsu for about 1 yr

For the summer, I plan on getting a full time research assistant job or hopefully finding a job as a 911 EMT. Does anyone have any further advice on what I should do to land a seat in a DO school?

My choices for the entering class of 2008 in the order of preference are:
Tuoro NY
NYCOM
PCOM
UMDNJ-SOM

I also meant to ask, do the schools see an undergraduate GPA (combined CC and University) or are they viewed separately?

Thanks!

They will be calculated together into a cumulative undergraduate GPA. However, your GPA is further broken down by your year (Freshman, Sophomore, etc.), undergraduate cumulative, graduate, science, non-science, and total, and by subject. However, it is not broken down by school. Nevertheless, the medical schools will see all of your verified grades, etc., as you report them, etc. Also, in calculating everything, keep in mind that if you repeat a class, only the latest repeat counts into the GPA. All grades are still listed, however.

For your reference, here is the 2007 AACOMAS Instructions. It's for last cycle's application, but it'll get you started until the new one is released in June.

Crookshanks said:
I saw someone posting stuff they did when they were 16....do those things matter on the med school application?

I played violin for 10 years, was concert mistress my senior year in high school at a Visual Performing Arts magnet school, toured Austria Germany and Switzerland with the Florida Symphony Youth Orchestra when I was 16...do those things count?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Well, let's put it this way: post-secondary experiences are of consequence; stick with that stuff. I'd say that in general, nobody really cares what you did prior to college, unless it's highly significant, or you actually started it when you were younger (before college) and it's been ongoing since that time. You really don't want to be listing things like, for instance, that you were involved in junior ballet as a teen, that you were selected for your high school play, or that you were second base in the little league baseball. Those things have limited value in the eyes of medical schools. However, if you volunteered at the Smithsonian Institution Natural History museum's department of forensic osteology when you were in high school, for example, and you've continued this volunteer position all the way through college, and now you're the coordinator of the volunteer forensic osteology lab, that's certainly something that you would want to talk about. I hope this clarifies things. It's my take on it, anyway.

Good luck!

Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback. Very helpful.
Inviz, Spicedmanna etc.
ty again.

Not much to report yet, but I'll give it a shot because I'm concerned:

GPA ~3.65 overall; ~ 3.8 BCP honors program at a state school
MCAT ?

volunteer experience at hospital over 1.5 yrs, decent clinical experience and i intend to get more including shadowing; should be able to get a good DO letter
other good LORs
working on a book for pediatric cancer patients
hope to get a paying lab research job
am applying early for 2009 application cycle

plan to apply to NYCOM, where else should I apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your profile looks good enough Josh. Get a decent MCAT with high 20's or better and you can apply to almost any DO and get an interview I would think.

Just keep gettin more clinical experience and get a few shadows in and you will be fine.

my turn to take advantage of this wonderful thread.. i'm 22 yrs old and not a urm:

ok so i've taken a year to retake some of my science classes that i did poorly in.. soo as it stands my GPA is

AACOM
GPA: 3.6ish
SCI: 3.45ish
MCAT: TBD

Well, your GPA looks good; it's competitive. It's hard to say anything at this point without your MCAT score. What else can I say, but, "rock the MCAT."

ECs:
my decision to pursue the medical degree started late in my college career. so its kinda not too great. kinda worried about my lack of research exp. sooo bare with me. . .

Well, don't worry about the lack of research experience; it isn't all that important. It can be a bonus if you are interested in it, but don't bother if you aren't. Basically undergraduate research experience is only crucial if you are going MD/PhD (or DO/PhD), or when applying to top tier allopathic schools, who emphasize research. What is important is clinical experience, shadowing a DO, working with the medically-underserved (if you have a chance), volunteer work, and/or community service. These are fundamental. It sounds like you have a good plan. Keep up with the clinical experience, EMT stuff, and the mentoring. I can't think of much else. Did I mention that you it's hard to say anything before your MCAT score comes out? So, yeah...

My choices for the entering class of 2008 in the order of preference are:
Tuoro NY
NYCOM
PCOM
UMDNJ-SOM

Good schools. Touro-NY is new, so it's hard to talk about how good it will be; keep in mind that they seem to place a great deal of emphasis on serving the Harlem community and to working with the medically-underserved. You can apply even more broadly and to more schools to further maximize your chances and choices. Good luck.

Crookshanks said:
Oh, and since I'm already posting on here...
I went to a community college, where I took Bio 1 and 2 and Chem 1, and I got 2 A's and a B in those. My overall CC GPA was 3.4 ish when I was there, but when I transfered to University it transfered as 2.98 (don't know why yet). My University GPA is 3.188. I'm a mother, I think that makes me a nontraditional applicant. Would like to go to school in FL. My major is Spanish, and I volunteer as a Spanish - English interpreter at a clinic that sees uninsured patients for free.

That's my background....what are my chances, if you can gather much from this. What do I need to do besides do well on the MCAT?

Well I'm glad you brought up the MCAT, because it's hard to say much without your MCAT score. I think given your lower GPA, it goes without saying that you will need to do well on the MCAT. So, like I keep mentioning here, rock the MCAT.

As to what else... Your cumulative undergraduate GPA, as calculated by the AACOMAS, includes all of your post-secondary undergraduate work. In your case, both your CC and Uni work. Add up all the quality points and divide by your total number of credits; that's your GPA. If it's really 3.188, then you could probably benefit from raising that, if you want and there is time (it never hurts to increase your GPA, and it will only serve to optimize your chances and choices). If there isn't time, then I wouldn't sweat about it. It's a little below average, but not too bad. Although it probably isn't critical for you to do this, since your GPA isn't that bad, you can still benefit from proving yourself academically by trending A's in advanced science classes for a few semesters fulltime, if you haven't already done this and there is still time before you want to apply. Keep trending those A's.

It looks like you've worked with the medically-underserved and have volunteer and clinical experience. That's awesome. Next, shadow a DO and get a good DO LOR. Keep up the good work. Oh yeah, an extra 10 points to Gryffindor, simply because you are Hermione's familiar.

Spicedmanna's Guide to "What are my chances...?"

Spicedmanna, my GPA is below 3.0, do I stand a chance?

Good afternoon, I'm glad you asked. In fact, this is a frequently asked question. My answer is, yes, there is a chance, but nobody can really quantify what that is. Your GPA is considerably below average. If you insist on applying this cycle, your options will likely be limited and your chances will be sub-optimal; the old SDN wisdom applies: apply EARLY and broadly. If, however, you decide you want to take a year or two off and do a post-bacc to raise your GPA, you would be likely be working toward your benefit, I think. Ideally, you'd want to take 1-2 years of advanced undergraduate science classes fulltime where you trend A's. This will do much to demonstrate your academic proficiency to adcoms, it will raise your GPA (hopefully above 3.0), and improve your chances and options.

Okay, thanks. I don't have my MCAT score, yet. Do you think I can make up for a low GPA with a high MCAT?

No, that's a myth perpetuated on SDN. The application process emphasizes these two number fairly equally, although I'm sure there are some institutional variations in emphases. These two numbers tell two different tales of your academic ability and suitability for medical school. The GPA gives the schools an indication of your study skills/habits and how you might perform long-term, while your MCAT score says a little about your standardized test-taking, analytical abilities and a little bit about your knowledge of the basic sciences (read: whether you will pass the boards). Both are indications of medical school performance and success. Thus, it is crucial that you do well in both. In general, you are an average matriculant if you have around a 3.45 overall GPA, a 3.36 science GPA, and a 24.66 MCAT (8.53 VR, 7.89 PS, 8.24 BS), according to the AACOM, 2004. As the trend is for these average numbers to rise, I'd expect that they are even higher now. Naturally, you want to strive to be above those numbers for the highest chance of success. Check individual schools for their averages for matriculants; this will give you an even better indication of what to shoot for. For example, WU/COMP has an average overall GPA of 3.49 and an average MCAT score of 28.

Thus, if you have a deficiency in the MCAT and/or your GPA, it is most optimal to fix what needs to be fixed rather than trying to address a deficiency in one area with another.

Hope that helps.

I see, so I need to rock the MCAT and have a good GPA. Well, what do I need in terms of EC's?

Yes, you need to rock both, as the application process is partially a numbers game. In terms of EC's, you would do well to have clinical experience. What is clinical experience? It usually entails working with and exposure to actual patients in a clinical setting. Basically, medical schools want you to have some idea of what it's like to work with patients, who are sometimes smelly, messy, and inconvenient. It's also important to have shadowed an osteopathic physician, preferably one who does OMT, and to get a letter of recommendation from one. This is to show that you know what a doctor actually does daily at his or her job, that you understand the role of a physician in healthcare, that you have knowledge of osteopathic principles/history, and that you have some idea of the historical as well as current differences between DO's and MD's. These will likely be asked during an interview, so pay close attention. Most DO schools want to accept folks who they think will be down with the osteopathic tradition. Furthermore, a lot of schools want you to have had some volunteer and/or community service experiences; it's even better if you are working with the medically-underserved, as this is a stated focus of osteopathic medicine. The rest is bonus. Medical schools want well-rounded folks with a variety of interests and talents, not borg, med-clones. So get involved in a variety of experiences.

More to come...and feel free to contribute/add to...

Good idea Spiced, perhaps we could even make a generic/average applicant profile that would get an interview from most DO schools. I may work on that at work on Wed if no one has created that by then.

I am thinkin something with a grade and mcat range then some mediocre shadowing/volunteer time/activties/clinical experience.

yeah...it's in my sig...and the MCAT still in the powder form.
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii:scared: :scared: :scared:
:luck: to everyone

Would having a large amount (100+) credits from a comm. college hurt my chances in any way? The entirety of these classes were sciences/prereqs and nuclear medicine degree.

Also, how is having a fulltime career combined with going to school FT perceived? I had a gap year between prereqs to matriculate to nuc med school, and have been working for 2 yrs post grad, now going back for the bachelors. Will these gap years hurt at all?

This is a brief profile:

gpa: 3.65
MCAT: 23 (ps 7 bs 7 vr 9 writing P)...took Kaplan and scored high 20s and low 30s on all practice tests, so idk what happened. I think I may have just burnt myself out, in addition to testing anxiety.

ECs:
2 years research experience at the State Police Forensic DNA lab
Div. III Varisty soccer player (past 3 years)
college radio station DJ
shadowed 3 D.O.s (2 briefly and 1 for a few weeks)
shadowed 1 M.D. at the Children's hospital in Philly
Presented at 2 professional conferences
Published an abstract of 1 of the papers I presented.

i have more ECs, like honor societies and biology clubs, etc. but nothing too important.

What do you think my chances are for D.O.? I wanted osteopathic schools way before my crappy MCAT. Thanks!!!

This is a brief profile:

gpa: 3.65
MCAT: 23 (ps 7 bs 7 vr 9 writing P)...took Kaplan and scored high 20s and low 30s on all practice tests, so idk what happened. I think I may have just burnt myself out, in addition to testing anxiety.

ECs:
2 years research experience at the State Police Forensic DNA lab
Div. III Varisty soccer player (past 3 years)
college radio station DJ
shadowed 3 D.O.s (2 briefly and 1 for a few weeks)
shadowed 1 M.D. at the Children's hospital in Philly
Presented at 2 professional conferences
Published an abstract of 1 of the papers I presented.

i have more ECs, like honor societies and biology clubs, etc. but nothing too important.

What do you think my chances are for D.O.? I wanted osteopathic schools way before my crappy MCAT. Thanks!!!

Your gpa is obv good. Your MCAT is tough though, it is possible to get accepted with a 23 and verbal is highest so that is probably a plus. However, some schools may not even consider you because of your MCAT score.
You also did not list any actual patient care experience or volunteer experience and that will definitely hurt your app. You have a chance, but if you do not get accepted it is due to little or no patient time, no volunteer time and low MCAT. If you want a guarantee retake your MCAT and get some volunteering in a hospital doing something with patients.

Goodluck

Would having a large amount (100+) credits from a comm. college hurt my chances in any way? The entirety of these classes were sciences/prereqs and nuclear medicine degree.

I can't say for sure. There are mixed opinions about this isssue here on SDN. Some feel that it is better to have taken classes at 4-year institutions than at CC's and some think that it doesn't really matter and have the success stories to prove it. If you are truly concerned, you might ask some of the medical schools that you are intending to make application and ask them directly; they are the final authority on the issue. If a particular institutions has a problem with it, they can give you instructions on how to compensate. However, I don't think it will be a big issue, if at all. What do I know, though? I'm not an adcom member, just an MS-0.

If you want my opinion, here's what I think: the more important point is to perform well in your studies and to demonstrate as thoroughly as you personally can that you are academically worthy of medical school. If you do this, I doubt you'll run into much trouble around your CC classes. Again, I'm just a humble MS-0. You might want to ask the more knowledgeable mentors in the Mentor's Forum here on SDN.

Good luck.

You're welcome; I'm glad to be of service.

Dr. I would probably respond, too, but he's currently on hold, so I'll field this thread until he comes back. :smuggrin:

Much appreciated, spiced.

Me, being the overwhelming lightside and Dr. I of course...:laugh:

I am a pre-chiropractic student whom decided to take the DO path 2nd semester of soph year. Chiro school admission is much easier than DO and I am now in a panic due my "late" start in the pre-med route.

I have a 3.01 sci/overall with only 56hrs, C's in OrgoII and Gen ChemII. I am a Bio major and pray that I can pull my gpa up to a respectable 3.4 by senior year with will be 64+ credit hrs later. From the reading I've done, the GPA presented to the DO schools when applying will likely only have my junior year factored in and possibly the 1st semester of senior year. Am I correct?

Starting to prep for MCAT which will be now (summer going into Junior year).

Began research for my university and now working in OR of local hospital. I have many Chiropractic shadowing hours (probably irrelavant) and about 10 shadowing a DO. Also volunteer for special olympics every summer ( which is a blast). Seeing that this thread is geared for people like myself, I figured I would post and see what can be done to help build a more stable application. Thanks!

I am a pre-chiropractic student whom decided to take the DO path 2nd semester of soph year. Chiro school admission is much easier than DO and I am now in a panic due my "late" start in the pre-med route.

I have a 3.01 sci/overall with only 56hrs, C's in OrgoII and Gen ChemII. I am a Bio major and pray that I can pull my gpa up to a respectable 3.4 by senior year with will be 64+ credit hrs later. From the reading I've done, the GPA presented to the DO schools when applying will likely only have my junior year factored in and possibly the 1st semester of senior year. Am I correct?

Starting to prep for MCAT which will be now (summer going into Junior year).

Began research for my university and now working in OR of local hospital. I have many Chiropractic shadowing hours (probably irrelavant) and about 10 shadowing a DO. Also volunteer for special olympics every summer ( which is a blast). Seeing that this thread is geared for people like myself, I figured I would post and see what can be done to help build a more stable application. Thanks!

Finish up the pre-reqs and aim for As. Take the MCAT when ready and go for 30+. Shadow a DO. Write a solid PS and do other clinical activities/volunteering/ECs.

Hey all, I am in the process of getting my grades back and I got C's this semester in neurobio, physics, and anthropology, still waiting on calculus grade. (I've had a bad Jr. year with illness in my family) Can I bring my gpa to 3.5 by the end senior year(including summer classes).Would that be enough to get into DO school? It's like a 3.00 now -when should I apply? I have not yet taken orgo, physics part 2, or MCAT yet. Also , should I take a more advanced class in neurobiology/retake physics I to prove I can handle the material? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Alright, so I'll throw up my stats..I just finished my 2nd year of undergrad and will be applying EARLY after my 3rd year. Plan on taking the MCAT in April/May of 2008 and by then, my stats should look something like this..

GPA: 3.0
Science GPA: 2.8-3.2
MCAT: Hoping for at least a 30

EC's:
-Shadowed both DO and MD (LOR from both)
-Local hospital pre-med program (shadowed/worked with physicians in various rotations such as ortho, ER trauma, neuro surgery)
-Volunteer at University Health clinic as a student clinician
-Research assistant at autonomic neurophysiology laboratory
-Volunteered at local YMCA as fitness instructor
-Habitat for Humanity
-THON (my school's HUGE dance marathon. raise money for kids w/ cancer)
-Relay for Life (another money raising event)
-Adobt-A-Highway
-Organized many ALS philanthropy events
-Fraternity member (held positions within fraternity)
-Black belt in Kempo (competed in many tournaments)
-Kickboxing/MMA fighter

I had an extremely rough first few semesters due to family issues back home. I was often traveling back and forth and my grades reflect that. I've shown improvement since then and plan on averaging somewhere around a 3.4-3.6 every semester here on out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey all, I am in the process of getting my grades back and I got C's this semester in neurobio, physics, and anthropology, still waiting on calculus grade. (I've had a bad Jr. year with illness in my family) Can I bring my gpa to 3.5 by the end senior year(including summer classes).Would that be enough to get into DO school? It's like a 3.00 now -when should I apply? I have not yet taken orgo, physics part 2, or MCAT yet. Also , should I take a more advanced class in neurobiology/retake physics I to prove I can handle the material? Your input is greatly appreciated.

I doubt you can bring your 3.00 GPA up to a 3.5 unless you re-take a good deal of those Cs. Everyone has family problems due to a variety of reasons and it won't score you any brownie points to mention this. Take higher level courses and make an A. Take the MCAT when you're ready and gun for a 30+. Shadow a doctor (preferably a DO) and do some clinical volunteering and other ECs. Time is running out since you are a junior, unless you wish to go into a master's or an alternative route prior to med school.

Alright, so I'll throw up my stats..I just finished my 2nd year of undergrad and will be applying EARLY after my 3rd year. Plan on taking the MCAT in April/May of 2008 and by then, my stats should look something like this..

GPA: 3.0
Science GPA: 2.8-3.2
MCAT: Hoping for at least a 30

EC's:
-Shadowed both DO and MD (LOR from both)
-Local hospital pre-med program (shadowed/worked with physicians in various rotations such as ortho, ER trauma, neuro surgery)
-Volunteer at University Health clinic as a student clinician
-Research assistant at autonomic neurophysiology laboratory
-Volunteered at local YMCA as fitness instructor
-Habitat for Humanity
-THON (my school's HUGE dance marathon. raise money for kids w/ cancer)
-Relay for Life (another money raising event)
-Adobt-A-Highway
-Organized many ALS philanthropy events
-Fraternity member (held positions within fraternity)
-Black belt in Kempo (competed in many tournaments)
-Kickboxing/MMA fighter

I had an extremely rough first few semesters due to family issues back home. I was often traveling back and forth and my grades reflect that. I've shown improvement since then and plan on averaging somewhere around a 3.4-3.6 every semester here on out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Better hope for a 30+.

Improving trend in GPA will look good. Just ask Tired about that.

Your ECs and leadership/clinical related experiences look good. I'd also apply early and broadly, pending you score atleast a 30 (minimal). Make sure you don't stutter.

Better hope for a 30+.

Your ECs and leadership/clinical related experiences look good. I'd also apply early and broadly, pending you score atleast a 30 (minimal). Make sure you don't stutter.

Thanks for the advice. I get pretty down on myself when I think about my GPA, so I just try to keep my head up and do my best from now on. I plan on applying as soon as the admissions cycle opens.

Thanks for the advice. I get pretty down on myself when I think about my GPA, so I just try to keep my head up and do my best from now on. I plan on applying as soon as the admissions cycle opens.

Hasn't it already opened up?

Hmm, then is AMCAS already open? I faintly recall someone breaking water over this.

Yeah, AMCAS looks already open. I just popped onto their website and the login page for 2008 looks active. However, there is a message on top that says:

AAMC said:
Applicants will be able to submit their AMCAS application to the 2008 entering class on or about June 5, 2007. You will not be able to submit an application before that time.
Last Updated May 4, 2007 at 4:06PM

So maybe you can start filling out the AMCAS now, but can't submit until June 5th?

Yeah, AMCAS looks already open. I just popped onto their website and the login page for 2008 looks active. However, there is a message on top that says:

So maybe you can start filling out the AMCAS now, but can't submit until June 5th?

I suppose so. Newbies, get on it.

Yep :)

Animus, thank you for the advice. I have a little more information, so I'm not sure if that would change your opinion, so I just want to double check. When I shadowed at CHOP, I interacted with patients alot...recording histories, explaining basic genetics to the parents (it was a pediatric genetics clinic), and performing literature reviews for the various symptoms of the patient...so, does this count as clinical experience because I thought it did. I went there from January through April. As far as volunteering I do Relay for Life and Special Olympics- I know that isn't exactly volunteering at a hospital, but is that enough? Would you still suggest holding off another year to get more experience? I'm afraid to retake the MCAT since my actual score was much lower than my practice scores, and I heard that if I retake the test without improvement that will hurt me more than if I don't retake it. Is that true? Thanks for the help!

Animus, thank you for the advice. I have a little more information, so I'm not sure if that would change your opinion, so I just want to double check. When I shadowed at CHOP, I interacted with patients alot...recording histories, explaining basic genetics to the parents (it was a pediatric genetics clinic), and performing literature reviews for the various symptoms of the patient...so, does this count as clinical experience because I thought it did. I went there from January through April. As far as volunteering I do Relay for Life and Special Olympics- I know that isn't exactly volunteering at a hospital, but is that enough? Would you still suggest holding off another year to get more experience? I'm afraid to retake the MCAT since my actual score was much lower than my practice scores, and I heard that if I retake the test without improvement that will hurt me more than if I don't retake it. Is that true? Thanks for the help!

It might count as clinical experience; however, you want more. Shadow doctors.

What was your MCAT score? It all depends on that -- and your GPA.

If you're concerned you might do worse, take more time to study -- THEN take the exam when ready.

Dr. I and Spicedmanna thanks for the feedback, I see both of you all over the boards contributing to these all so helpful forums and I am curious as a newb what your current status is as far as what school your in/attended and your credibility on these topics (its blatent that you know your stuff) I am just curious. Thanks!

Better hope for a 30+.

Yeah dont buy that...I had stats that were actually pretty close to you, and I did much worse than a 30 on the MCAT. I got into school. Remember to take every bit of advice here with a grain (or two) of salt. People dont really know what a school is looking for exactly, as none of us are on the adcom at any school. Good luck. Sorry if I stepped on any toes, but I am sick of reading about "what are my chances with a 3.x gpa" and then people being told "theres no way unless you score a 46Z on the mcat...". You dont have to be a 4.0/40 MCAT student, you need to be a good student (above a 3.0, ideally above a 3.5), a decent MCAT (at least a 22) and a decent set of EC's. It does not hurt one bit to be personable and a good interviewee. Keep your head up and a chip on your shoulder. Good luck.

Yeah dont buy that...I had stats that were actually pretty close to you, and I did much worse than a 30 on the MCAT. I got into school. Remember to take every bit of advice here with a grain (or two) of salt. People dont really know what a school is looking for exactly, as none of us are on the adcom at any school. Good luck. Sorry if I stepped on any toes, but I am sick of reading about "what are my chances with a 3.x gpa" and then people being told "theres no way unless you score a 46Z on the mcat...". You dont have to be a 4.0/40 MCAT student, you need to be a good student (above a 3.0, ideally above a 3.5), a decent MCAT (at least a 22) and a decent set of EC's. It does not hurt one bit to be personable and a good interviewee. Keep your head up and a chip on your shoulder. Good luck.

Thanks. I feel as if the interview (hopefully I get some) will be my strong point. I'm definitely personable and can communicate well with almost anyone.

Dr. I and Spicedmanna thanks for the feedback, I see both of you all over the boards contributing to these all so helpful forums and I am curious as a newb what your current status is as far as what school your in/attended and your credibility on these topics (its blatent that you know your stuff) I am just curious. Thanks!

You're welcome. I like giving back to SDN; it has been a great resource for me when I was applying and will continue to as I move onto medical school.

To answer your question, I am a non-trad student who is a rising MS-1 at Kansas City University of Medicine & Biosciences (KCUMB). I am very excited about starting medical school this fall; it has been a very long journey, not without a bit of challenge.

I received a bachelor's degree in the biological sciences a little more than 10 years ago, and I was very active in neuroendocrinology research, both behavioral and clinical, at the NIH and at my university during my undergraduate years. I worked with some really cool folks. I once considered pursuing graduate work in order to do biomedical/clinical research, but decided that this wasn't what I was looking for after many years of research involvement. I decided that I wanted to have a more palpable experience of wellness, one that no amount of study could provide. I went on to become a yoga and martial arts teacher, learned quite a bit about different healing modalities, and spent some formative years studying somatic psychology through an apprenticeship. During all of that, I sort of put all of my learning together in my practice as a wellness coach.

After some time as a wellness coach, I discovered that I was growing frustrated that I couldn't directly address the healthcare concerns of my clients. I could do much, but ultimately, the role of coach was too limiting. I wanted to get directly involved in managing the care of my clients, in the manner that a physician would. So, I gave it all up and went back to school. I retook most of my premedical prerequisites and received 35 credits of straight A's, leaving little doubt that I was academically ready. I took the MCAT and scored a 28P (09 VR, 07 PS, 12 BS). I fumbled on the PS section, much to my dismay. I don't think I prepared adequately for that section, so it wasn't a total surprise. Nevertheless, you can't always get what you want, but it turned out, at the end, to be enough. My overall GPA and science GPA are about average for a matriculant at osteopathic schools. I also received some additional training through EMT-B certification and internship. I shadowed some physicians, IM and FP, to round everything out.

I applied last cycle (2006 application cycle) to both allopathic and osteopathic medical schools. I made an egregious error by applying late in the process due, in part, to my choice to take the August MCAT (the last paper administration of the test). I wasn't complete at allopathic schools until late October and December/January for osteopathic schools. I think I shot myself in the foot. Had I known about SDN earlier on, I think I would have made better and more prompt decisions, which would have offered greater choices and chances. On the other hand, if I could have done it differently, I would have, so there's little benefit in that kind of analysis. ;) In addition to all of that, I cast the net a little too narrowly for allopathic schools. That's one of the reasons that I didn't receive any love from the allopathic side. However, my background and application basically screams, "osteopathic," so I got a lot of love there. I applied to about ten osteopathic schools and received three interviews, of which I attended two. I fell in love with KCUMB during my interview and had that deep down in my bones feeling that I would absolutely love attending there. So it was an easy choice for me.

Even though I didn't follow the ideal path, I ultimately got what I wanted. I am drawing upon my own experiences applying, the mistakes I made, and all of the substantive wisdom that has been passed onto me as I was going through the application process when I give advice here. Additionally, I have lots of teaching experience, have worked with psychologists and relationship coaches, and was a computer professional for several years. All of these experiences also add to the advice that I provide.

Hope this gives you an idea of where I am coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.