MD & DO what are my odds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brooklynMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
If i am an actively serving the US army, have a cGPA of abt 3.6 and get lets say a 35 on the new mcat, what are my chances of getting into medical school? Hopefully a place like NYU? I have 10 years experience working very, very closely with patients in health care fields. My education history has been a bit bumpy. Ill be starting Med School (God willing) in fall 2017 at the age of 27.
Slim chances or what?
feedback puh-leaseee :)

Members don't see this ad.

if you can get 95th percentile on the new MCAT (which is what a 35 was on the old one), your chances of getting in somewhere are roughly 100%

I made the mistake of planning my medical school odds/life around getting a certain score, thought I'd get a 36(got a 34). Just study as hard as you can and take the test. Then come back and ask the same question, obviously getting a 35 gives you the chance of getting in somewhere. Especially having served active duty military

Members don't see this ad :)
I made the mistake of planning my medical school odds/life around getting a certain score, thought I'd get a 36(got a 34). Just study as hard as you can and take the test. Then come back and ask the same question, obviously getting a 35 gives you the chance of getting in somewhere. Especially having served active duty military

Thanks for your response, does it matter if i wasn't posted anywhere other than Texas? Yes, I am in the army but in reserves at Lt rank, i will be a Captain in 3 years from today, and will probably be posted overseas once i finish my education (ie medical school). Our training for reserves vs active duty starts the same way, with the same ranks etc.

Does this work against me being in reserves versus being a solider deployed in Afghanistan?

if you can get 95th percentile on the new MCAT (which is what a 35 was on the old one), your chances of getting in somewhere are roughly 100%
even though i have gaps in my education and some bad grades such as a D in stats from 2 years ago because of serious financial issues i was having then? I find the MCAT easier than my Physics 1 course lol so im confident i can get a better grade in that versus my Physics 2 class next spring. I will also have another gap in the fall 2015 semester as i have to leave for 6 month duty and will be posted out of my current state. Will this be used against me? My biggest fear is the gap in education and the 3-4 grades lower than a B i got which will make med schools not even want an interview with me.

Yes. Being a veteran will help even in your GPA and MCAT score are lower!

Hey,
If i am an actively serving the US army, have a cGPA of abt 3.6 and get lets say a 35 on the new mcat, what are my chances of getting into medical school? Hopefully a place like NYU? I have 10 years experience working very, very closely with patients in health care fields. My education history has been a bit bumpy. Ill be starting Med School (God willing) in fall 2017 at the age of 27.
Slim chances or what?
feedback puh-leaseee :)