What are my speculative chances (before MCAT)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Black Lake

Black Lake
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently a sophomore in the process of changing majors from Biology to Chemical Engineering. I have found my interests are more geared towards physics, math and chemistry as opposed to biology, and I am finally committing to the change after a drawn out decision-making process. I will now be a 5-year undergraduate student, but I want to study chemical engineering while I still have a chance to explore my interests. I will be interning with an engineering firm this upcoming summer. However, I still plan on taking the MCAT a year from now, and I would like to know how changing my major this late in the game will affect my admission process.

I am a white male with a 4.0 GPA.

Extracurriculars include:
1. Emergency Room Technician (~250 hours)
2. Swim instructor at a residential facility for mentally challenged persons of all ages (~350 hours)
3. Part-time job during Spring/Fall semesters (lab, non-research related) (~150 hours)
4. Shadowed Orthopedic Surgeon (~5 hours), Cardiovascular Surgeon (~5 hours), Anesthesiologist (~10 hours), General Surgeon (~10 hours) [~30 total shadow hours]
5. Intramural soccer and basketball in each of my semesters

Lastly, I am currently the rush chairman of my fraternity, the chairman of our Fall philanthropy event, the IFC (Interfraternity Council) delegate for my chapter, part of the IFC special events committee, and I plan on running for a higher position within my chapter in the near future (i.e. president, vice president). Are these things that I would want to include on my resume? I am passionately involved in my chapter, and it's not something I would like to leave off of my resume. However, if it is a knock to my application, I will leave it off without hesitation.

Overall, I would like to know my speculative chances if I do receive a decent score on my MCAT. I love working with people. I consider myself a leader and a personable guy, and I believe in myself to succeed in academic and interview-like situations.

I know I am not giving you much to work with, but all advice, criticism, speculation and wild guesses are accepted. I look forward to reading your responses if you have endured this epic monologue. Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Black Lake

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
None of this means anything without an MCAT score.

Fraternity involvement is fine, and leadership is always good, though some adcoms may take your listed leadership there with a grain of salt (since frats are known for creating leadership spots so members can pad resumes). You will be able to explain your level of commitment in the AMCAS activities section.

Expect to face questions about "why not engineering?" / why someone whose interests are "geared towards physics, math and chemistry as opposed to biology" wants to go into the medical field.

Check the chart in my signature for your race-adjusted chances based on whatever MCAT score you might get.

Chances outstanding.

Hello everyone,

I am currently a sophomore in the process of changing majors from Biology to Chemical Engineering. I have found my interests are more geared towards physics, math and chemistry as opposed to biology, and I am finally committing to the change after a drawn out decision-making process. I will now be a 5-year undergraduate student, but I want to study chemical engineering while I still have a chance to explore my interests. I will be interning with an engineering firm this upcoming summer. However, I still plan on taking the MCAT a year from now, and I would like to know how changing my major this late in the game will affect my admission process.

I am a white male with a 4.0 GPA.

Extracurriculars include:
1. Emergency Room Technician (~250 hours)
2. Swim instructor at a residential facility for mentally challenged persons of all ages (~350 hours)
3. Part-time job during Spring/Fall semesters (lab, non-research related) (~150 hours)
4. Shadowed Orthopedic Surgeon (~5 hours), Cardiovascular Surgeon (~5 hours), Anesthesiologist (~10 hours), General Surgeon (~10 hours) [~30 total shadow hours]
5. Intramural soccer and basketball in each of my semesters

Lastly, I am currently the rush chairman of my fraternity, the chairman of our Fall philanthropy event, the IFC (Interfraternity Council) delegate for my chapter, part of the IFC special events committee, and I plan on running for a higher position within my chapter in the near future (i.e. president, vice president). Are these things that I would want to include on my resume? I am passionately involved in my chapter, and it's not something I would like to leave off of my resume. However, if it is a knock to my application, I will leave it off without hesitation.

Overall, I would like to know my speculative chances if I do receive a decent score on my MCAT. I love working with people. I consider myself a leader and a personable guy, and I believe in myself to succeed in academic and interview-like situations.

I know I am not giving you much to work with, but all advice, criticism, speculation and wild guesses are accepted. I look forward to reading your responses if you have endured this epic monologue. Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Black Lake