What are some good undiscussed paid clinical/research/lab jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misterwolf

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any positions available that you can get by interviewing well while stating that you are a hard worker that is willing to learn? I'm looking for suggestions outside of EMT, CNA, or Scribe. In my case I am asking from the standpoint of not having a science degree.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Very subjective question but I'll bite. The most important thing to have in mind if this is something you want to write about on your applications to medical school is why you pursued the position and what you gained from it. If you're looking for exposure to patients, pursue an experience that maximizes patient contact, like volunteering in a hospital ER. If you want to see what it feels like to work with the truly underserved, then volunteer at a local foodbank. I would advise strongly against pursuing an opportunity simply because it is obscure. Perhaps this would make you stand out from a scribe to an admissions faculty somewhere, but the crucial aspect of that experience will again be the why and what was gained, as aforementioned.

That said, absolutely pursue a volunteering experience at the basecamp of Mt. Everest. Go on a missions trip Zanzibar. But you better have a ton more to say when asked about it than 'I painted a fencepost'.

Are there any positions available that you can get by interviewing well while stating that you are a hard worker that is willing to learn? I'm looking for suggestions outside of EMT, CNA, or Scribe. In my case I am asking from the standpoint of not having a science degree.
In the lab? Probably not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Mr. Wolf is asking this question for the same reason I clicked on the thread. We are a little older and therefore have more responsibilities financially and need a paying job for the clinical experience. Volunteering and shadowing are all well in good at some point but we won't be able to maximize hours that way like most traditional students can. Also taking the time to become certified in something like EMT or CNA isn't really an option either due to time constraints from already working full time, going to school full time, and probably having a family at home as well. Now Mr. Wolf to help answer your question the only thing I have found so far that doesn't require a certification that will get you the clinical experience you're looking for is something like and Emergency Room Technician. Here in Louisiana at least that is a job anyone can apply for and do with no advanced schooling and minimal/no medical experience. I suggest reaching out to local hospitals recruiting departments and explaining your situation (that's what I did) and see if they can help you. It has worked for me.

Reactions: 1 users

I wonder about something like being a phlebotomy tech - you'd probably have to complete training that'd be at least a semester, maybe even two. My significant other was trying to become a surgical tech and many of those programs are done in a year.