what are some GU consults you call?

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by gooze, 02.24.12.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. gooze

gooze Banned Banned 2+ Year Member

Dentist
    just wondering what are some of the reasons you need to call urology for in the ER?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. RustedFox

RustedFox We're all stars now. In the GOAT RODEO. 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'll admit that maybe I call them out of pure ignorance of what to do, but I do call (and get slightly aggravated) when a patient comes in with "my urology widget isn't working". If it's simply blood in the foley, or something that can be fixed with simple irrigation... then great... but above that, I have zero idea.

4. LastMinEMROLQs

LastMinEMROLQs

penis fracture. and no, they can't get mad about it because its classified as an "urgent" case

5. dotcb

dotcb --------- 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    penile, scrotal, and renal trauma, urinary obstruction +/- infection, Fournier's gangrene, scrotal infection, paraphimosis, priapism, torsion...

6. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST Lifetime Donor 10+ Year Member

Verified
    Physician
    This brother posted almost the same question in the uro subforum. There, it was inpatient or ED.

As I said there, "From the ED, it's urinary retention (not a consult, for o/p f/u), obstructive stones (again, usually for o/p f/u), and hematuria 2/instrumentation and procedures from earlier in the day."

About the ads