What are some low-status success stories from this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad1013

Reaction score
Congrats to everyone who's been accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hey, late to the party but I'm a major underdawg who currently has 6 interviews (just declined one) and one acceptance so far. 3.35ugpa with 2.99sgpa, 506 mcat and a 3.4 SMP gpa. Strong stories, really good LORs including one from the dean of my college, and lots of clinical hours. I totally gave up and tried another career before doing my masters and I'm so glad I tried again. I feel so blessed that my cycle turned out the way it did. ♥ (edited bc my SMP gpa ended up being slightly higher than i first posted)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Low stats in MD acceptance are very rare unless it has a very compelling story. How low stats are we talking about?

I had a 3.4 undergrad gpa and 513 MCAT, felt pretty low until I got my first A.

Edit: non-BCPM: 3.28

Last edited:
I had a 3.4 undergrad gpa and 513 MCAT, felt pretty low until I got my first A.

Edit: non-BCPM: 3.28
Your MCAT is right on par, but your GPA is a little low. Without knowing the whole picture, your EC, it is hard to say. Just bear in mind that anyone who gets acceptance has his/her own unique story. Some may get accepted with low stats; it is not necessary that you get accepted with similar stats. BTW, did you apply DO's?

Just got my seventh interview invite today! With the aforementioned low stats. Totally possible if you have a strong story and LORs!

Your MCAT is right on par, but your GPA is a little low. Without knowing the whole picture, your EC, it is hard to say. Just bear in mind that anyone who gets acceptance has his/her own unique story. Some may get accepted with low stats; it is not necessary that you get accepted with similar stats. BTW, did you apply DO's?
In my case it was definitely my background and EC’s that helped me be successful.
I learned a real appreciation for the holistic nature of admissions between my first application cycle and this one.
GPA+MCAT is a very, very small part of the overall picture.

I did apply to the DO school in the city in which I very much want to live.

I mean, my GPA was solid 3.7 cGPA and 3.5 sGPA with a solid upward trend but my MCAT was pretty weak at 501. I have one 1 DO A so far, with 1 waitlist and 1 II. I also currently have 3 MD II. I do feel my writing was pretty good, but I nothing about my EC is crazy or an X-Factor.

Reactions: 1 users
I can’t fully say if I’ve had a successful cycle yet, but I’ve had 7 MD II (1 T20!), 2 DO II, and 1 DO A with <3.6 cGPA/<3.5 sGPA and my highest MCAT of 502. So at the very least it’s possible to get IIs!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users