What are some state schools that give out-of-staters a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sprsonic75

This girl is dangerousss
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a NJ resident that would like to go to school out of state(espec CA even though I know it's nearly impossible). What state schools let in some(not necessarily a huge-but enough) amount of out-of-staters? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

UVa, OSU, and MCW.

if you want a good shot at a CA school, you'll need diesel numbers. If you can get in a CA school from out of state, you can probably get in an "elite" private school elsewhere.

The three UC's that take any appreciable number of out of staters also happen to be the three most competitive ones to get into. None of them enroll more than 15% out of state regardless of that they say their admissions process is like.

I know you said state schools but your best shots are the three CA private schools: Stanford which we know is tough, USC which takes majority in state despite being private, and Loma Linda, which gives preference to Sevent Day Adventists, and takes 50% from CA.

Good Luck.

Non CA schools: above poster + EVMS, MCV, UMn, UMich, Suny Dowstate (20% I think), Cincy, Med Coll of Ohio.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with exmike. It has been my understanding that the best chance you have for getting accepted as a non-resident is by applying at private schools. This is because they are not funded by state dollars and are not under pressure to produce physicians that will continue to practice in that state

Hey Guys thanks for the info-it is greatly appreciated =)! Also, do you think there would be anyway I could indicate on my secondary(If I get one) that I plan to live and practice in CA? Would that help at all???

I'm such a west-coast wannabe ;) . .hehehe . . .but I love it!

suny downstate, i hear doesn't give much preference to out of staters anymore.

missbonnie said:
suny downstate, i hear doesn't give much preference to out of staters anymore.

yeah, apparently the SUNYs are drifting away from caring about in-state status. supposedly, SUNY Upstate openly declares that there is no extra preference given to NY residents.

I found that plenty of state schools are open to out-of-staters if your numbers are good enough - e.g. Alabama, Vermont, OHSU, Michigan State, Nebraska, Colorado, etc. The California schools are so competitive, in my opinion, that they are a whole other story.

Before you apply, consider if you really want to spend the $ to apply and interview at a state school (e.g. OHSU, Vermont, MSU) where you will pay $30-50K tuition every year, with no chance to ever become in-state, and few to no scholarships available? This is a very expensive choice to make. The private schools often have more scholarship $ available and might be a better choice.