What are the best books for an intern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brainmedicine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I heard first aid neurology and psychiatry is good. I am also interested in neuropsychiatry. What books do you recommend? What is best for board preparation and prite?

Members don't see this ad.

For an INTERN, less is more, trust me. Unless you have an amazing attention span, can retain everything you read verbatim and the apply it immediately, do not attempt to read through a textbook. Honestly, most of your learning will come from your patients, your co interns, your co interns' patients, and attendings who teach at the bedside (hopefully most of them). That said, most people absolutely HAVE to read... but keep it focused. I would get Kaplan and Saddock or the APA's textbook and read about the different pathologies you see each time you see them. Don't get too bogged down on literature- just know the basics of CATIE , Star*D, COMBINE (like the very basics) Get a copy of the pocket DSM 5 if your program doesn't give you one. Get a pharm textbook- I like Stahl's (both the textbook and the prescribers guide) because it keeps things simple. I'm not a huge uptodate fan for psych. Obviously you should be wary because there are conflict of interest issues but I think for an intern level book, it's great. And the best description of psychopathology- for schizophrenia and bipolar is still Kraeplin. Fish is also good for descriptive psychopathology (and an easier read...). Bottom line, construct the framework and reinforce the basics before digging deeper. Keep in mind as an intern you will be busy, so you have to make your reading time worthwhile.

Review books like FA are for medical student clerkships and board review; not for primary learning.

And for neurology, Kauffman's is amazing. The information contained is amazingly thorough and provides you not only with what you need to know for the PRITE (much more actually) but also with what you need to know to be successful on your neurology rotations as a psych resident.

In sum: LESS IS MORE
1) General psych textbook
2) Pharm textbook
3) Pocket DSM
4) Descriptive psychopathology textbook
5) Kauffman's

Members don't see this ad :)
avoid the APA textbook it is awful. K&S is infinitely better though the comprehensive hasnt yet been updated for DSM-5. this might not matter that much anyway and you should have a (pocket) DSM anyway. highly recommend a descriptive psychopathology texy -either 2nd edition of Fish's clinical psychopathology (not the current one, the old one by Max Hamilton is much funnier and better written) or Sim's Symptoms in the Mind (again the older the edition the better). The Maudsley prescribing guidelines are good, though Stahl is the typical text (I prefer the prescribers guide to the standard edition). The manual of clinical psychopharmacology is also good. and check out my 100 papers thread - medicine is all about papers though there is value to a good reference text.

avoid the APA textbook it is awful. K&S is infinitely better though the comprehensive hasnt yet been updated for DSM-5. this might not matter that much anyway and you should have a (pocket) DSM anyway. highly recommend a descriptive psychopathology texy -either 2nd edition of Fish's clinical psychopathology (not the current one, the old one by Max Hamilton is much funnier and better written) or Sim's Symptoms in the Mind (again the older the edition the better). The Maudsley prescribing guidelines are good, though Stahl is the typical text (I prefer the prescribers guide to the standard edition). The manual of clinical psychopharmacology is also good. and check out my 100 papers thread - medicine is all about papers though there is value to a good reference text.

For those that are curious, here are the links:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/100-papers-in-clinical-psychiatry.1059514/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/100-further-papers-in-clinical-psychiatry.1071243/

Thanks for putting those together, @splik.

Reactions: 1 user