What are the best MCAT Full Lengths to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DamanTHFC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to find out what full lengths I should practice taking.
The only resources I have are AAMC and Kaplan.

I will try to take as many as possible FL's, but was wondering if there are any recommended that I make sure to do (the ones that are best like the actual).

For AAMC: there's 3-5 and 7-11 ... I will try to do them all but where is it better to start from 3 or from 11? Also any FL's in particular to do?

As for Kaplan: there's 1 - 11.
I completed 1 - 3 already, but I might retake them becuase I am retaking the actual test too. Is it recommended to retake FL's?
Also since basically there's left 3 -11 ... what are the FL's that i should try to finish.
My priority is to do AAMC FL's first and then it will be kaplan.
I heard that some of the kaplan FL's are outrageous and not worth it.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

The AAMC's take precedence over all others, IMO. If you don't want to spend the money on all of them at the very least do 9-11.

The AAMC's take precedence over all others, IMO. If you don't want to spend the money on all of them at the very least do 9-11.

Luckily all the available AAMC are available for free with kaplan...
But why did you suggest 9-11 ... are they the newest tests?
And it is still worthwhile to attend the any of the FL's 3-4 and 7-9?

AAMC practice tests look just like the real thing, which makes them familiar to you and takes some of the anxiety out of the actual test. I highly recommend them over Kaplan.

Members don't see this ad :)
When do you suggest to start taking practice tests?
I have about 2.5 months till my test and i plan on starting do doing Full lengths in the second.
Is this alright or should i start earlier?
Also since there are 8 AAMC FL's and more other company FL's ... how often should i take a FL?
Once a week, twice a week?

Thanks

I felt like AAMC11 was by far the most representative of the actual test, BS especially. Whatever other tests you take, make absolutely sure you take 11.

10 was a good "medium difficulty" test that still emphasized recent topics. 9 is probably the easiest AAMC test, and thus I recommend to everyone that it be the last test they take before their actual test date; getting your highest practice score right before the test is a huge confidence boost, even when you know that 9 is easier. Psychologically it just helps.

I can't recommend enough that you take the whole test under testing conditions, and not in sections; additionally, review every single question on the test after you take it. Not just the ones you missed. Go through your thought process on every question and make sure you got it right for the right reasons and that you understand it.

As far as Kaplan tests go, they're fine, but AAMC tests should take precedence. I'd say use the Kaplan ones if you either run out of practice tests, or if you want to try a different testing strategy of some kind (i.e. skimming every passage from the start to manage your time).

@elevencents:does that mean you started doing FL one month before the actual exam?

@lambda phage: are the TBR prac exams really similar to the actual mcat? and where did you get the TBR FL? i'm in the TBR summer course and they said they'll start releasing the FL halfway through the course. i wonder if they'll be the same ones that you used

@elevencents:does that mean you started doing FL one month before the actual exam?

@lambda phage: are the TBR prac exams really similar to the actual mcat? and where did you get the TBR FL? i'm in the TBR summer course and they said they'll start releasing the FL halfway through the course. i wonder if they'll be the same ones that you used

To my understanding, the course offers FL1-10 and online commercially offers FL1-7.

1 to 7 are the same!

I took the older, extended-version ones so they won't be the same ones you'll take. But either way, I thought they were very similar in difficulty to the actual MCAT. TBR PS/BS may be slightly harder and VR may be slightly easier, but either way, they're a great approximation.