Other OT-Related Information What are the least physically demanding settings for an OT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris1004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just graduated from my undergraduate institution two weeks ago. I applied to one OT school in my senior year of college just for the heck of it, (originally I was going to take a gap year after college and commit myself to applying to a lot of schools) and I actually got in! However, I'm wondering if I should defer enrollment for a semester or so because lately I've been contemplating whether or not OT is right for me. Although I love the nature of the job, I'm not sure if I can keep up with the physical demands of OT. I'm a tiny woman (5 ft and and 90 lb) and have knee & wrist problems. I had to quit a part-time job at an ice cream shop in college because it was giving me horrible wrist pain. I also have trouble being on my feet for a long time. I currently work as a music teacher for little children where I'm on my feet most of the time, but the only way I'm able to sustain myself is by taking occasional breaks on the chair every hour or so. I've volunteered at an outpatient hand therapy clinic, which is supposed to be one of the least physically demanding fields of OT, and even that seemed hard on the therapist with intense massaging of the patients' hands and arms. I've also volunteered at an early intervention center which seemed okay for the most part but I'm still not too sure about being on my feet most of the time and often carrying kids with cerebral palsy. How are school OT's like? Although I have not directly shadowed one, I've talked to a school OT and it seemed like the job consisted of working with kids with disabilities on their fine motors, sitting on a table. Also, are there any OT jobs that are completely non-clinical? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You should refer to the schools physical requirements for matriculation and see if you can meet them. You will be working with classmates on transfers and other interventions that will involve weight bearing activities.

Not sure what you mean about non-clinical positions, but if you can function with a couple of breaks here and there you should be fine. I do it all the time lol.

If you think PROM is difficult to perform on clients hands, you probably should not go into OT but it is hard to gauge if you never did it before....and it is easier than standing for periods of time. At least for me.