What are the ultimate goals for the profession?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still in between wanting to go MD/DO and do a residency like general surgery vs. Podiatry where I could be guaranteed surgery. What is the end goal for podiatrists in terms of parity, compensation, scope of practice? In my opinion, going to medical school for four years + doing a 3 year residency (maybe even one of those foot/ankle fellowships) should command 200K-225K at a minimum. In addition, there should not be a limited scope of practice with anything at the ankle or below. By the time I through with my education, 8 years would have passed (med school + residency+ time till start). A lot can change in 8 years. Things that are going to occur in the next 8 years in the profession can make it a lot more attractive. Pod students/pods....please be so kind as to impart your knowledge. I hear voices say definitely DO NOT go into podiatry and some have no clue what it is.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No one can predict the future. Obviously the profession will be moving forward to increase scope of practice universally with consistency from state to state. No matter what route you take, a specific guaranteed income is simply not a sure bet. However, I know some recent grads who have started over 250,000 and other grads starting with significantly less. The better you perform in school and the quality of residency you complete will certainly stack the deck in your favor. I've witnessed too many students perform poorly in school, perform poorly in residency at a less than prestigious residency, THEN blame the profession for their lack of success. The person most responsible for your ultimate success is staring at you in the mirror.

And the only voices you should be listening to are the voices in your own head. No one else has to travel your path.