What are top CCM fellowship programs looking for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wickedskillz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey
CA1 resident at a program that's not considered among the top tier. I'm hoping to match a CCM fellowship at a bigger name / top tier program. Especially interested in Stanford since I have family in the area and it's where I would like to settle down in the future. Just wondering, in your experience, what are the top things they are looking for? Is it ITE scores, good LORs, number of cases? Should I contact Stanford's program and let them know I'm interested. Thank you guys for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Not fully sure how to answer this one, but for my interviews, pretty much all of them wanted to know my ITE scores. Strong letters of recommendation would also help. But I think for the top programs, like research Universities, having some research, or having been published may be a big thing.

I can't see why any CCM program would care what sorts of cases you did as a resident.

Another thing pretty much all programs are looking for would be someone with a good personality and is capable of speaking with other consultants. This is one field where we interact A LOT with other specialties: Surgeons, internists, ID, neuro, renal, etc. You need to know how to talk, play the game of politics and diplomacy, and also be sound medically.

Location is another thing I can think of. Programs are more likely to take you if you have ties to the area. Not all, but a lot are.

Hope this helps. It's a good field and a lot of fun. The fellow and attending experience is way different from my experience as a resident. Plus it makes you badass with the really sick patients. Good luck with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
G-man is right on point. I would imagine it's tougher to get into Critical Care now because there's a match and more people are interviewing and applying to more programs becasue of fear of not matching. But basically, ITE score, Research, and who you know i.e. Letters of Rec, phone calls and having a home program to fall back on are all key.

hey
CA1 resident at a program that's not considered among the top tier. I'm hoping to match a CCM fellowship at a bigger name / top tier program. Especially interested in Stanford since I have family in the area and it's where I would like to settle down in the future. Just wondering, in your experience, what are the top things they are looking for? Is it ITE scores, good LORs, number of cases? Should I contact Stanford's program and let them know I'm interested. Thank you guys for your advice.
Stanford's CCM fellowship is great. If you end up there, my advice would be to take as much vacation at the end of CA-3 year before starting. Seriously. Prepare yourself. It is no joke