What are you buying for graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpsmanUP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to treat themself to something really nice for graduation? You know, the typicals like a Rolex, a Tag, or a trip?

I am thinking about one of those new Toyota FJ Cruisers. Anyone seen one? Talk about vintage Toyota, and it got an incredible rating this month in Motor Trend. I like the vintage yellow color with the white roof. You can walk out of the showroom with one around 24K, and about 30K if you want fully loaded. I was thinking about buying a true vintage Jeep Wagoneer from like the mid late 80's, until I saw these!! Now I am hooked. Once I get the final credit report run for my home I am buying, I am off to the nearest Toyota dealership!! :thumbup: Right now we have 2 Dodge Caravans and for all intents and purposes I may as well be castrated having to drive one of these. One of these suckers is on its way to the trade in lot at Toyota!!

Members don't see this ad.

Mexico with the wife, kid, and some amigos- Playa del Carmen
yea, I know I am a little early on these plans, but I am trying to create the brightest light possible at the end of the tunnel. :cool:

if you want true vintage- go straight up '80s Astrovan. you can get a bumper sticker that says "eunich."

Members don't see this ad :)
House depending on where I match. Help with the down payment is gonna be a family gift.

Wedding ring :) but I guess that really isn't treating myself, some may even say that it is the opposite :p

Seriously though, for some reason the closer to match we get, the more "dramatastic" she becomes, it is starting to really grind on my nerves. :mad: ....and all I wanna do is dance :thumbup:

House (hopefully) and I asked the wife for the PS3 and some "doctor shoes" for my grad gift..We will see how that goes.

TysonCook said:
Wedding ring :) but I guess that really isn't treating myself, some may even say that it is the opposite :p

Seriously though, for some reason the closer to match we get, the more "dramatastic" she becomes, it is starting to really grind on my nerves. :mad: ....and all I wanna do is dance :thumbup:
Another one bites the dust

Dude my buddy is getting engaged tomorrow.... Him Rads, her IM... She is a great girl but clearly he didnt learn the lesson that his 3 closest med schools friends went through...

nah.. not like that at all.. playstation 3 BABY!.. Though I think once I move I might equip myself with some protection in the house.

wook said:
EF:

What is a PS3? Is that similar to a H&K PSG1?

Wook

O ****, here comes the gun toting crowd...again! How the hec do you confuse a Playstation Three with a Heckler and Koch weapon? :laugh: Get your mind out of the gutter...I mean out of the gun catalog!! :p

But to be fair, I am probably going to buy myself a nice Shotgun...wanting one of those 12 guage semi auto, non pump Binelli suckers for home protection and for duck hunting.

FYI, For all those interested, the score is now

Me: 14, Morris 3

There is hardly a ferel cat left on this block save the ones inherently phobic about steel cages, or with allergies to cannes salmon!!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless I end up at Atlantic Health, we will be spending our money on a house (northern NJ is way too expensive). I will be volunteering my body for science as often as possible over the next few months to try and save up for the down payment.

a marshall jcm2000 (truly amazing guitar amp)

I too plan on being one of the first to purchase a PS3. Luckily, my prioirities are inline.
You guys can have your fancy guns and engagement rings and other intstruments of death give me a playstation in my new home and I will be a happy colforbinMD

FoughtFyr said:

Not me man, I am sticking with the traditional old Rolex that everyone can recognize :cool: Of course mine might be from Tijuana, but they are putting out some high quality products now! :thumbup: seriously!! :D

Doc Brown: So you are a guitar player like myself too heh? I just sold my Line6 AX2 amp that was the nicest amp I ever owned. It had presets...120 of them that completely emulated the sound of a particular artist playing a particular song. I could play Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson, Panama by Van Halen, and Sandman from Metallica all in one touch of the pedal...back to back, without ever lifting a finger. Of course the SRV sound was nothing near the God himself of blues' sound, but I don't think you can make that sound without compressed smoke running through the speakers!! :laugh:

Seriously though, one of my "other" gifts to self is that we are buying a house with either a split level or a basement, so that the lower living area will be mine!! I am going to get a new more simple amp...perhaps you could tell me about that Marshall you are buying....and I'll probably add a Line6 Pod to cheat on the pre-amp sounds. I have no clue about pedals and such and its just easier for me to have a reference point and copy other people's sounds that they have recreated off Olga or the Line6Pod website. I really want to start a band up again during residency but few people share my eclectic taste in music. I like to play metal, blues, rock, classic rock, and even some Pop like GooGoo Dolls and such.

Ok, enough torturing of everyone!

yo corpsman,

I too am selling a line 6 amp (the flextone II). I just can't stand digital amps. it's fine for home practice, but I actually play in a band, so it's tubes all the way from now on.

the marshall jcm2000 I'm getting is a combo amp (2x12"), all tube circuitry. what's great about it is you can always hook up an extension cab if needed. downside is cost (over $1k). But, once you crank up into a marshall tube amp, the tone is just undeinable.

For a simple, cheap home amp, I always liked the fender princeton amp. 1x12", 65 watts, solid-state, couple of hundred dollars at most. a POD going thru it would be just awesome.

It would be awesome if we wound up at the same residency. music has always been my #1 passion, and I'll be playing in bands til the day I die!

DocBrown,

PM me your rank list...I am dying to know if we have any of the same places. Here are my top 6 which if I go any deeper than these I'll need to be peeled off the side of an 18 wheeler anyway....so I won't bore you with 7-15. Though any on my rank list were chosen because I liked them all.

1. Indianapolis (fingers, toes, legs, and scrotum all crossed..some hurt worse than others...not the fingers I assure you!!)
2. Mayo
3. U Iowa
4. Case Western/Metrohealth
5. U Pitt
6. U Illinois Peoria

There was a cool band at UT Galveston when I was there called Sternal Rub. Their lead singer was an ortho resident....played a lot of Bush cover tunes back then...late 90's. I am constantly thinking of new names of my fantasy band......like Torticollis, Redundant Vas, Sphincter Tone!!! Oh I could go on forever...

corpsmanUP said:
There was a cool band at UT Galveston when I was there called Sternal Rub. Their lead singer was an ortho resident....played a lot of Bush cover tunes back then...late 90's. I am constantly thinking of new names of my fantasy band......like Torticollis, Redundant Vas, Sphincter Tone!!! Oh I could go on forever...

No way! My favorite thing to do when I'm bored in class is to think up cool band names based on the subject material. My favorites so far are Indifferent Gonad, Meconium Aspiration, and Toxic Megacolon (which is also an SDNer's username).

A few years back there actually was a band called Leish-Nyhan

Andy15430 said:
No way! My favorite thing to do when I'm bored in class is to think up cool band names based on the subject material. My favorites so far are Indifferent Gonad, Meconium Aspiration, and Toxic Megacolon (which is also an SDNer's username).

A couple of us, to pass the boredom in class would think of beverage names. Here's a few, The Punch of Douglas, Dartos Tonic and its cousin Tonica Vaginalis, Condyloma Latte, Berry Rum Swallow...

Dukes said:
A couple of us, to pass the boredom in class would think of beverage names. Here's a few, The Punch of Douglas, Dartos Tonic and its cousin Tonica Vaginalis, Condyloma Latte, Berry Rum Swallow...

And don't forget the ever popular Tensor Fascia Latte!

oh god, it's begun again!! MAKE IT STOP!! MAKE IT STOP!!!

jd

My band's name was toxic shock....

Anyway, I'm buying a 60 inch LCD and an Xbox 360 as soon as soon as I graduate. I heard Elite Warfighter is the bomb!

ewells said:
Unless I end up at Atlantic Health, we will be spending our money on a house (northern NJ is way too expensive). I will be volunteering my body for science as often as possible over the next few months to try and save up for the down payment.

Where's Atlantic Health on your list?

buying crap as a reward for med school? look around the globe, dude, your money would be much better used supporting an ngo or pvo carrying out international health activities. if you feel you really need to display in an ostentatious manner, then by all means buy yourself a great little gift that you can smugly (sp?) look at in times of trial.

materialism is not the answer.

Terrapin Station said:

We all have holes in our lives in need of filling.... some fill it with rhetoric and idealism... some love and religion...

I prefer expensive shiny things.

and the world suffers because of it and other mindless consumption. great.

DrMom said:
Taking a trip to the UK. That'll probably deplete our funds for a while. :)

Ditto - the husband and I are renewing our vows (coming up on 7 years) in Borthwick Castle outside of Edinburgh in May. :D

Terrapin Station said:
buying crap as a reward for med school? look around the globe, dude, your money would be much better used supporting an ngo or pvo carrying out international health activities. if you feel you really need to display in an ostentatious manner, then by all means buy yourself a great little gift that you can smugly (sp?) look at in times of trial.

Please save your trolling expeditions for more deserving topics. This one's pretty harmless and you most likely won't get the attention your looking for (other than that I've already given you).

And if you're serious- lighten the f up! :thumbdown:

CM

Terrapin Station said:

Really?

Damn, I must have misunderstood the question.

Take care,
Jeff

Terrapin Station said:

I earned the right to do whatever the hec I choose. I served my country in uniform, in combat, probably while you were still picking your beeeaaatch ass nose and wetting yourself nightly. Oh sorry, I forgot, you are still probably wetting yourself nightly. I come from a neighborhood you wouldn't even want to drive through, much less live in. I worked my way up to the level I am currently at and I will happily live the remainder of my life doing exactly as I please. Sure there are crises across the world. I've held little Kuwaiti children in my arms that mother's thanked us for helping. Where have you been Terrapin, besides the Inner Harbor? I thought so!

Terrapin Station said:

Oh, and I almost forgot to add....a good start at avoiding materialistic things and to refrain from mindless consumption might be for you to donate your computer to a local library. It would sure make the internet a safer place!! :laugh: And be sure to delete all those incriminating files of naked young farm animals!! :eek:

Terrapin Station said:
Troll... or should I say.. turtle.. though i dont want to offend..

Terrapin, let me guess pre-med.. yep.. hit that nail on the head.

corpsmanUP said:
Oh, and I almost forgot to add....a good start at avoiding materialistic things and to refrain from mindless consumption might be for you to donate your computer to a local library. It would sure make the internet a safer place!! :laugh: And be sure to delete all those incriminating files of naked young farm animals!! :eek:
:thumbup:

Ill also feed the troll a little in my quest to pad..

Please explain how buying an Xbox 360 hurts the world.. Is it because the money could be spent elsewhere? Dude.. Puh-leeze..

EctopicFetus said:
Please explain how buying an Xbox 360 hurts the world..

It's going to hurt the world when I start to put a beat down on those chumps who think they know how to play medal of honor and quake.

I pity the fool who don't eat my cereal! Dr.T

Dude.. Madden.. and sports games..

Terrapin Station said:

Of course, you could donate the 100k+ you will spend on medical school loans. Do you know how much rice and clean water that money could provide in Africa?

I assume you will spend your career in an undeveloped country...

Well, I know there are a bunch of very selfish people on this board. All this stuff about Rolex and XBox is pretty sad really. A doctor should be expected to be more altruistic then these hedonistic ER docs. I will be contributing money into a developing country's economy for 5 days and 6 nights. Mexico has alot of economic problems, so I think sinking about 4K into the Mayan Riviera will be doing my part. I might spend another 100$ or so on local handicraft supporting the struggling entrepeneur by purchasing some homegrown libations made by Jose, Don Eduardo and Don Julio. Fine young men I think. By the way, pretty sure the XBOX is made in some outrageously poor Asian country so you can think of your purchase as a form of international aid. See, we're not quite as bad as you think.

Zorro.. I know I have been supporting Belgium and Scotland some. Also helping the French you do know they have about a 14% unemployment rate and on top of that the students there have been rioting. Im doing my part!

As for my graduation gift, I'm buying a wedding! :love: Looking forward to the honeymoon, crammed in right before intern year starts. Good luck on match day everybody! :luck:

AK2006 said:
As for my graduation gift, I'm buying a wedding! :love: Looking forward to the honeymoon, crammed in right before intern year starts. Good luck on match day everybody! :luck:

Like a mail order bride/groom.. Congrats :p :laugh:

DrMom said:
Well, that's no fun!

Sound that can break stones is pretty cool.