What are you doing before classes start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gbiz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, its cold here (detroit), Ive been going to school since I can remember, and I am going to be going to school for the forseeable future...

is anyone planning on doing something fun before med school begins?

I was looking for deals on something. I dont know, go back to Disney world :) (EXPENSIVE), visit Europe again, go to Club Med, something! Anyone got any good plans!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't plan on doing anything. But I would like to meet fellow Wayners :D

gbiz said:
Okay, its cold here (detroit), Ive been going to school since I can remember, and I am going to be going to school for the forseeable future...

is anyone planning on doing something fun before med school begins?

I was looking for deals on something. I dont know, go back to Disney world :) (EXPENSIVE), visit Europe again, go to Club Med, something! Anyone got any good plans!

Did you decide on Wayne? I dont want to go here, but it has less to do with the actual school. One of my friends from undergrad is 99.9% sure thats where he is going next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think (I hope everything works out!) that I'm going to Peru to walk (hike?) along the Inca Trail...I'm super super excited.

Peru sounds cool. Ive always wanted to visit as many different countries as possible. Unfortunatly Ive only been to Canada (doesnt count when your from Detroit), Mexico, Paris twice, and Lisbon (switched planes at Heathrow!!! lol)

How long you goin for

Party at GBiz's :thumbup:

gbiz said:
Peru sounds cool. Ive always wanted to visit as many different countries as possible. Unfortunatly Ive only been to Canada (doesnt count when your from Detroit), Mexico, Paris twice, and Lisbon (switched planes at Heathrow!!! lol)

How long you goin for

I'll probably plan on staying there for 2-3 weeks...I have a friend who has a house in Lima, so we'll probably stay there to see the city for a bit. I've been to a couple of places, but never South America, so I'm really excited.

One thing I want to do in my lifetime, visit all Disney themeparks. Ive been to Disney World and EuroDisneyland / Disneyland Paris. So that leaves Cali, Japan, and the new one they are building in Hong Kong... but I cant afford any of that yet :)

(Oh yeh, Im a kid at heart, love Disney :) )

Id also love to visit some places in Asia, particularly Japan and India, after that South Korea. But again, no money! :) ;)

From now until the end of May; I will be working a few menial hours as a bartender. For the entire month of June I will be at COT (Comissioned officers Training--AF), and from July 1-August 1 I will be living in my new apt in FL getting used to the scenery and adjusting to a new city before school starts Aug 1 in Ft. Lauderdale.

I'm ready for June to get here--bring it on. :)

Hmm, that's a tough one. How about working my a$$ off? Am I the only SDNer with bills? Or maybe I'm just the only neurotic one. I plan on saving as much money as possible before class starts. The thought of taking out loans for every single thing in med school scares the $hit out of me. How do you guys sleep at night? :rolleyes:

I know I should probably have some fun before class starts, but I can't help feeling guilty when I spend money on things that aren't necessities. I've been out of college since 2002 and I've been able to save up quite a decent amount of money. The thought of going back to being a broke student is really starting to freak me out. Any other semi-nontraditional students with me on this one? :confused: ;)

palminator2003 said:
Check out this thread.

My thread is cooler, so ha.

Get some new ideas, new people :)

Everyone has bills, but you have to take it into perspective, I will be beginning my $200,000 debt soon and a hell of a lot of work, working the summer will get me what, a couple grand but with no break before med school. Eh.

It will depend on whether or not UCLA accepts me. If LA doesn't (almost certain), I will be moving back home to NJ and close on a house that I am going to live at least for the next 7 years for my MD/PhD degree. Then, I will try to get one of the lab rotations out of the way.

If LA accpets, I'm "going...going...back...back...to...Cali...Cali." Find an apartment near Westwood and hit the beach everyday. Plus, learn how to surf. :D

cornflakesguy said:
I think (I hope everything works out!) that I'm going to Peru to walk (hike?) along the Inca Trail...I'm super super excited.

You better bundle up and stock up on that fleece and goretex. Going to Peru in June/July is the dead of winter in South America. I was considering going to Peru myself to do the Inca Trail and see Macchu Picchu, but I scratched it when my friend (who's from Peru) told me that it's hailing and sleeting up there in July.