What are you reading as a first year fellow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vtach00

Fellow
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure its been discussed here before but I was just curious if you guys have an updated list of books, you'd recommend for a first year Cards fellow.
I have, of course gone through the current ACC/AHA guidelines which I found quite useful.
Cheers' :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Braunwald's cardiology
Oh echo book
Grossman for cardiology.
There's a smaller cath manual also (can't remember if it's by Grossman too...I'm sure there are several different ones you can get).

I personallylike Cleveland Clinic Manual of Cardiovascular Medicine (I think it's particularly helpful for IM residents to use, such as on cards consult rotation). I think it's a lot better than Washington Manual of Cardiology, for example.

ACC publishes CD's to study for cardiology boards, echo boards and to study up for the ECG portion of boards, but they'll fleece you (expensive..).

I am sure its been discussed here before but I was just curious if you guys have an updated list of books, you'd recommend for a first year Cards fellow.
I have, of course gone through the current ACC/AHA guidelines which I found quite useful.
Cheers' :thumbup:

Bumpidy bump!

ASE guidelines for chamber quantitation, stenosis, regurge etc.

SAPs on cardiosource.

-The Trifling Jester

Members don't see this ad :)
For echo I actually really like Feigenbaum, although it's weighty and maybe more of a reference book.

I've never found a cath book that I like. I find Grossman to be really inadequate. Kern has a decent handbook... it was published in 2003 so it's getting slightly long-in-the-tooth, although honestly not much has really changed.

Dilsizian's atlas is pretty good for nuclear.

Chou's EKG book is fantastic, although it's too in-depth for anybody who isn't really intrigued by EKGs (which actually seems to include many cardiologists).

I frequently go through the SAPs on cardiosource because they are convenient and can be accessed throughout the hospital when I have a spare moment, but I tend to find them fairly mediocre.

I like otto for echo, grossman for cath, mayo clinic cardiology for general, complete guide to EKG.

The Complete Guide to ECGs (Physician's Press). By James H Okeefe et al.
A lot of people use this to study for the ECG portion of the general cardiology boards.