What are you reading?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macroorchids

Reaction score
I am currently reading “How Doctors Think” by Dr Jerome Groopman. It was recommended by Dr Linda Sanders in her excellent book I just read, “Every Patient Tells a Story”.

I would like to learn what attending physicians, residents and medical students are reading specially medically related.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What do you think of it so far? I read it this summer and personally hated it.

I mostly listen to audiobooks on the go since I don't have much time for leisurely reading these days. Lately I've been sticking to lighter titles. Just finished both of Mindy Kaling's books. She narrates them so they are hilarious.

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished reading If Our Bodies Could Talk by Jim Hamblin, who's a writer at The Atlantic. It was kind of funny, but mostly very thoughtful. I think it was aimed more at the lay population, but I felt like he talked about some things that will help me as a future doctor (especially in terms of always being skeptical). I've recommended it to anyone who will listen, so I guess SDN gets it too.
Currently reading Stiff by Mary Roach, which is all about cadavers, and The Paper Menagerie by Ken Liu, which is a really marvelous collection of literary sci-fi/fantasy/spec fic short stories.

And @aymar, if you're into humorous audiobooks, I HIGHLY recommend anything by David Sedaris. He's hilarious, and he reads his stories so well.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reading on how to best use swan in Starcraft coop

The little book of common sense investing

Reading on how to best use swan in Starcraft coop

I remember when starcraft first came out. I can't believe starcraft 2 has been out for 8 years already. I still remember being upset about starcraft progaming being messed up.

I remember when starcraft first came out. I can't believe starcraft 2 has been out for 8 years already. I still remember being upset about starcraft progaming being messed up.

Yeah getting old sucks. Remmeber watching the 2008 announcement video over and over. Doesn’t seem like a decade ago wtf does the time go

Growing up, my teachers always told me I wasn't reading at an age-appropriate level. I chuckle now because I'm making my way through 400 page books. That's A LOT of coloring if you ask me.

Reactions: 15 users
Recently finished David Copperfield.

Now reading Les Miserables. I dont know why I start reading these 2000+ page books...

Reactions: 3 users
Endure: Mind, Body, and the Curious Elastic Limits of Human Endurance. By Alex Hutchinson

Members don't see this ad :)
Wtf, how much free time do you people have?

I read first aid then go home and sleep.

Wtf, how much free time do you people have?

I read first aid then go home and sleep.

I don't have free time, I just make time. I read to the detriment of my studies and my sleep. I've been doing this since grade school, and my life has worked out pretty well so far, so I don't think I'll be stopping anytime soon. Except maybe during residency haha

But your point is a valid one. If you'd like to read more and don't have time, I recommend listening to audiobooks during your commute! Some audiobooks are read better than others, so I'd maybe listen to a sample or look at reviews before you buy one. Or, if you have a library card, I think most libraries in the US have some sort of audiobook borrowing system. Mine uses Overdrive, and I'm very happy with it.

Re-reading the "textbook" from my science and pseudoscience class from UG: "Don't believe everything you think". Easy read, but really good reminder/explanation of basic logical fallacies in the ways we perceive the world.

This should be required reading for every pre-med and med student.

About to finish The Italian, then I'll start The Sorrows of Young Werther probably later this week.

1. Sadie
2. What Doesn’t Kill Us

About to finish The Italian, then I'll start The Sorrows of Young Werther probably later this week.
Apocryphal, but that that book set off a series of suicides post publication. I think it has pages and pages of suicidal ideation repeated IIRC.

Apocryphal, but that that book set off a series of suicides post publication. I think it has pages and pages of suicidal ideation repeated IIRC.

That isn't apocryphal! There were a bunch of copycat suicides where people would actually dress up like the main character of the novel, use a similar gun, die with the book with them, etc. I'm pretty sure it got to a point where some cities/countries banned the book and the clothes.

That isn't apocryphal! There were a bunch of copycat suicides where people would actually dress up like the main character of the novel, use a similar gun, die with the book with them, etc. I'm pretty sure it got to a point where some cities/countries banned the book and the clothes.
not sure if you have read this stuff already but these might be up your alley.

Dostoyevsky
The gambler
The brothers karmazov
The Idiot

Camus
The stranger
The Plague
The Fall

Dostoyevsky
The gambler
The brothers karmazov
The Idiot

Camus
The stranger
The Plague
The Fall

...was that meant for me or Detective SnowBucket?

I actually started a thread in the lounge asking for reading suggestions if you want to take a look at that. Im also currently reading How Doctors Think by Goopman!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I actually started a thread in the lounge asking for reading suggestions if you want to take a look at that. Im also currently reading How Doctors Think by Goopman!

I’ve read most of the gawande books, all these medical books etc. And to be honest, I wish I would have read some fiction or non-medical nonfiction instead. Your life is inundated with medicine as it is. Expand your mind and learn something else while you still have a chance. Read about politics, science, food, anything else.... I’m on a military history kick. The only medical book worth reading is house of god. It really sets the tone for residency...hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’ve read most of the gawande books, all these medical books etc. And to be honest, I wish I would have read some fiction or non-medical nonfiction instead. Your life is inundated with medicine as it is. Expand your mind and learn something else while you still have a chance. Read about politics, science, food, anything else.... I’m on a military history kick. The only medical book worth reading is house of god. It really sets the tone for residency...hahaha.

I was honestly going to read some medically related works before moving on to economics and history, but I enjoyed When the Air Hits Your Brain and a bunch of other NSGY based books.

I've personally always been a fiction reader, so I've been trying to read more of those medical books, personally. I actually have never read a Gawande book. Where should I start?
Also, just finished reading a great short story collection: Vampires in the Lemon Grove by Karen Russell. The first story was meh, but the rest were amazing.

I've personally always been a fiction reader, so I've been trying to read more of those medical books, personally. I actually have never read a Gawande book. Where should I start?
Also, just finished reading a great short story collection: Vampires in the Lemon Grove by Karen Russell. The first story was meh, but the rest were amazing.

If you must... being mortal.

Dostoyevsky
The gambler
The brothers karmazov
The Idiot

Camus
The stranger
The Plague
The Fall
I have read none of those by Dostoyevsky but I had the chance to read the stranger and the fall in French. I’ve read enough Dostoyevsky to know I should stop now haha. Thanks for the recommendations.

Currently reading.
Under the knife the history of surgery in 28 remarkable operations.

It's an OK book, with some good historical stories around surgery.

Finished Werter today. Not ‘pages and pages’ but a bit, maybe 5 in all and not consecutive.

Starting Goethe’s Novella now

Started & finished the Venice Tales; still working on the Red & the Black: this is taking longer than I expected.

This month I've been on clerkship, so I've not had a ton of time. I did manage to read the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson, and now I'm sad because the next one isn't written yet. :(

Funny you bumped this because I just finished the same book the OP was reading (How Doctors Think). It was very good. I’m reading Thinking: Fast and Slow now.

I'm also currently reading How Doctors Think and actually really enjoying it! Also reading There There by Tommy Orange and so far I do think that all the hype surrounding it is justified--it is a really good book.
Also, for those of you who are busy and would like a really quick yet really engaging read, I've been punching out Neil Gaiman's Sandman comic books recently. It honestly takes like a day to read and then I just think about it all week until I am mentally ready to start the next one and then the cycle begins again.

I'm also currently reading How Doctors Think and actually really enjoying it! Also reading There There by Tommy Orange and so far I do think that all the hype surrounding it is justified--it is a really good book.
Also, for those of you who are busy and would like a really quick yet really engaging read, I've been punching out Neil Gaiman's Sandman comic books recently. It honestly takes like a day to read and then I just think about it all week until I am mentally ready to start the next one and then the cycle begins again.

What's There There about? Is it nonfiction?

I just finished Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson. It's a nonfiction book about a lawyer fighting for people, both innocent and guilty, on death row. It makes a strong case for being compassionate, merciful and more understanding of how someone's background shapes who they are the and the decisions they make.

Absolutely recommend it for anyone in the medical field.

What's There There about? Is it nonfiction?

Nope, it's fiction! Sorry, I should've been a bit clearer that it isn't really in any way related to How Doctors Think.
Without wanting to go into too much detail (nor oversimplify it), There There is a novel about American Indian characters who are all kind of connected by a single event, an upcoming pow-wow in Oakland. It's ultimately an interesting reflection on identity. It came out sometime last year to generally rave reviews. I thought I'd finally pick it up because there was a space of a couple of months last year where everywhere I turned there was a review singing There There's praises. It is actually really good. For example, last week I read another new-ish book that had a lot of hype surrounding it, Little Fires Everywhere, and didn't think it lived up to its reputation (still a really good book, I do recommend it, just not as mind-blowing as the book reviewers promised me).

What do you think of it so far? I read it this summer and personally hated it.

I mostly listen to audiobooks on the go since I don't have much time for leisurely reading these days. Lately I've been sticking to lighter titles. Just finished both of Mindy Kaling's books. She narrates them so they are hilarious.

I really wasn't a fan of it either. It seems to be targeted more at laypeople than people in medicine, but I felt that much of the book didn't match my experience with attendings in med school to the point of bordering on inaccuracy. Many of the points being made were also pretty obvious IMO. I did find the section on med student and resident seating preferences during grand rounds pretty funny, but that's something I feel like anyone in medicine would have already noticed.

Recently finished Educated by Tara Westover, nonfiction but reads like a novel

Finished Astrophysics For People In A Hurry by Neil diGrasse Tyson. First non-fiction book I've read in a long while. Anyways, back to the red and the black from that little break.

Finished Brideshead Revisited. Was very good. Began The Young Tsar (not sure about English title?) by Tolstoy and should be done before the week is out. May never finish the red & the black...