What are your opinions regarding OMFS and their place in hospitals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeautyGuru

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be starting dental school in a month and I have been researching different specialties. I came across several forums on SDN regarding how OMFS from 4-year programs do not have the ability to perform cosmetic procedures (due to some state laws and patients refusing to get certain procedures from a dentist) and often have their surgeries delayed due to the hierarchal hospital environment. I also read that OMFS from 6-year programs have difficulty attaining referrals from general dentists due to some MD resentment (I didn't think this was a thing). I was not aware of any of this and I would like to know if others have any information regarding this?

Do you know any OMFS from 4-year programs? What procedures do they do and how is their work environment in hospitals? Do you know any OMFS from 6- year programs and how is their practice scope different?

What concerns have OMFS expressed?

Members don't see this ad.

Both OMFS can do the same things as eachother. The things you read are false. One thing different (I think) is that the dual degree OMFS has a much easier time practicing right out of school as far as anesthesia regulations go (probably only a week or so earlier compared to the 4 year).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Dentists having resentment towards OMFS MD's? Lol. I doubt it.

Here's the two most important things you should know. In general, 6 year guys get placed in hospitals. 4 year guys go into private practice and generally have better hand skills off the bat (2 years of med school will set you back).

Last edited:
You might as well be asking this on the nursing forum, you would probably get a more informed response.

Hospital privileges are more dependent on surgical logs than 4 vs 6. Some fellowships strongly encourage/require MD (mostly cosmetic and oncology). Skills upon finishing residency are more dependent on surgical training not on whether you received an MD. General dentist do not harbor resentment toward 6 yr guys unless the 6 yr guys are douchebags with their MD (like putting is before dental degree), etc.