What are your plans if you don't get into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hubbsbubbs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing the "60% of people don't get in anywhere" and thinking, darn, what am I gonna do if I don't make it? I might try to write a comic book, or trashy teen fiction. Maybe sell advertising space online just for kicks. What about you all?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I considered living in a van down by the river...

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My biggest fear is being that guy who always lists " X Major, pre-med track" on his employment resume.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I keep seeing the "60% of people don't get in anywhere" and thinking, darn, what am I gonna do if I don't make it? I might try to write a comic book, or trashy teen fiction. Maybe sell advertising space online just for kicks. What about you all?
I was asked this at every interview I've had so far...

Apply again next year....

Or begin working on my PhD with a focus on some mixture of genetic/oncology/virology... Its all very hush hush at the moment ;) teaching was a big component of my undergrad between SI/TA/tutoring lol

Physically leave this country

Reactions: 2 users
My back up plan was to get a PhD in Astrophysics. Of course that was if I failed to get in for multiple cycles

Members don't see this ad :)

Economics/finance.

My back up plan was to get a PhD in Astrophysics. Of course that was if I failed to get in for multiple cycles

Astrophysics is really great stuff but it got a bit overwhelming on the theoretical side when it comes to stellar/galactic dynamics and cosmology. I personally would be happy as an amateur astronomer.

Economics/finance.

Astrophysics is really great stuff but it got a bit overwhelming on the theoretical side when it comes to stellar/galactic dynamics and cosmology. I personally would be happy as an amateur astronomer.
Finance is fairly interesting, it also has a bunch of astrophysicists working as quants so there is that!

Don't go to pharmacy school. That is all. :beat:

Don't go to pharmacy school. That is all. :beat:

I hear a lot of this from the pharmacy folks but I never know why exactly? Is it because of pharmacy market saturation? or lifestyle? or proliferation of too many pharm schools opening up?

I just straight up got rejected from urban outfitters. I feel like I have no qualifications for anything tbh.

Reactions: 14 users
Probably become a PA or open up my own skydiving drop zone...

Marijuana extraction with my mad ochem skillz. In legal states, of course.

Reactions: 1 user
Hustle people out of their money at a Top Golf similar to how Happy Gilmore did at the range after winning the Waterbury Open

Firefighter Paramedic or OCS

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You know who else has a PhD in astrophysics? Brian ****ing May, the lead guitarist of Queen.

Reactions: 2 users
I hear a lot of this from the pharmacy folks but I never know why exactly? Is it because of pharmacy market saturation? or lifestyle? or proliferation of too many pharm schools opening up?
Yes

Assuming "relieve myself of the burden of existence" would be interview taboo...

I just straight up got rejected from urban outfitters. I feel like I have no qualifications for anything tbh.
If it's any consolation you probably just aren't hipster enough, which honestly could be a good thing in itself.

You know who else has a PhD in astrophysics? Brian ****ing May, the lead guitarist of Queen.
From Imperial College nonetheless! Dude is the man.

-Join the navy
-Become a dashing Helicopter pilot
- serve honorably for 20 years.
-Retire with full pension
-Give surf lessons on a beach in the south pacific
-????
-Profit

Reactions: 5 users
-Join the navy
-Become a dashing Helicopter pilot
- serve honorably for 20 years.
-Retire with full pension
-Give surf lessons on a beach in the south pacific
-????
-Profit
Become a lobbyist in D.C. for banana farmers

If applying a few times doesn't work out, I could see myself doing a couple of things:
  • Get a PhD in some life science and become a college lecturer. I don't think I would ultimately want to be a full researcher in an academic setting. One of my favorite professors was a lecturer for the intro bio sequence at my school and I would love his job.
  • Work in public health research or health policy
  • Become a high school biology/chemistry teacher
  • Get a PhD in Environmental Toxicology and work for the government. If I could somehow in some capacity work for a National Park that would be amazing.

If applying a few times doesn't work out, I could see myself doing a couple of things:
  • Get a PhD in some life science and become a college lecturer. I don't think I would ultimately want to be a full researcher in an academic setting. One of my favorite professors was a lecturer for the intro bio sequence at my school and I would love his job.
  • Get a PhD in Environmental Toxicology and work for the government. If I could somehow in some capacity work for a National Park that would be amazing.

My cousin is a park ranger and loves it.

Very original ;)

My cousin is a park ranger and loves it.
That's so awesome! I'm a huge fan of National Parks and conservation, and would love to be able to protect those lands.

Very original ;)
Very true ;) But to be honest, I've always loved teaching and have worked as a tutor since my freshman year of college and have a knack for it. Someone's got to convince kids to go into science :p I could never work with middle schoolers though.