What are your top 3 reasons for med school?What are your top 3 worries/concerns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrArete

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my top three reasons:

1. Desire to help people
2. Prestige
3. Make use of intellectual capability

Top three worries/concerns:

1. Grind of 10 years of training, to be followed by more of same unless I do mission/NGO work
2. The changing nature of medicine and the extremely negative comments I have heard from many doctors and residents. It is also not encouraging for me to hear from a friend who matched up a a Harvard hospital and is now miserable doing nightfloat.
3. The feeling that I would not be able to balance being a doctor with a family/outside interests. To put it another way, I fear that I can be a good doctor OR a balanced person, but not both.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Desire to help people
2. Prestige
3. Make use of intellectual capability
#1 is really the only realistic reason. There is nothing prestigious about being an MD/DO, trust me. You're about to see how little prestige has to do with this career. Also, so much of medicine is rote and protocol-driven (thank the medicolegal system in the U.S. for that) that there's no room for intellectualization. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's better you know this now.

1. Grind of 10 years of training, to be followed by more of same unless I do mission/NGO work
2. The changing nature of medicine and the extremely negative comments I have heard from many doctors and residents. It is also not encouraging for me to hear from a friend who matched up a a Harvard hospital and is now miserable doing nightfloat.
3. The feeling that I would not be able to balance being a doctor with a family/outside interests. To put it another way, I fear that I can be a good doctor OR a balanced person, but not both.
This is a giving profession. It's a privilege, but just know that it requires you to be utterly selfless. Residents are more negative than most; it's a dark time. You'll have no time to eat, drink, sleep, or pee and for the 30 hours that you're on call everyone wants a piece of you all day and night (patients, families, nurses, pharmacy, the dreaded ED, radiology, the lab, social workers, etc.). It never stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.