What books and qbank for surgery rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drchandrasika

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know what review books and qbank will help me with my surgery rotation as well as the shelf. Not an overkill but something simple. So far what I am hearing is NMS casebook, dr pestana notes, and uworld. Is this fine? My only concern is wasting uworld too early(getting a low percentage) instead of practicing with lets say kaplan qbank and using uworld later. Any recommendations guys?

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to know what review books and qbank will help me with my surgery rotation as well as the shelf. Not an overkill but something simple. So far what I am hearing is NMS casebook, dr pestana notes, and uworld. Is this fine? My only concern is wasting uworld too early(getting a low percentage) instead of practicing with lets say kaplan qbank and using uworld later. Any recommendations guys?

That is entirely fine. Doing UW throughout the year prior to a Step 2 CK reset is both normal and desirable, don't worry about wasting it. If you own Crush Step 2, it includes some brief sections about surgical subspecialitites that you can use to round out your knowledge. I also liked Case Files Surgery as a good second book for the rotation after Pestana, as it hits all of the high points (and NMS takes a while to get through). Surgical recall is nice if you're going to get pimped in the OR.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
That is entirely fine. Doing UW throughout the year prior to a Step 2 CK reset is both normal and desirable, don't worry about wasting it. If you own Crush Step 2, it includes some brief sections about surgical subspecialitites that you can use to round out your knowledge. I also liked Case Files Surgery as a good second book for the rotation after Pestana, as it hits all of the high points (and NMS takes a while to get through). Surgical recall is nice if you're going to get pimped in the OR.

Thanks man appreciate it!

Yeah, no way to "waste" anything really. I would say use whatever you want, but make sure to FINISH at least 2 of them in addition to doing UWorld (there aren't many surgery questions in World). I used PreTest and Q&A, but liked the NMS casebook too. Just get through as many questions as possible because shelf and Step 2 questions are VERY different from Step 1 questions and you'll need the practice.

Also, make sure you know Pestana cold, both for the topics covered but also for how they are presented and the distinctions between them. Picking up on the subtle differences between similar vignettes for RUQ pain is key to knowing whether the person needs obs, a cholecystectomy, perc biliary drain, ERCP, etc. Pestana is brilliant at helping you learn that.

Reactions: 1 user