What books for a new attending?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iradi8u

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a PGY-5, I'm looking at being an attending in a few short months AND I have money left in my book account.

What books would you buy to prepare for a community practice? I have the usual players - Perez, Gunderson, Peds Halperin, Ang's Head and Neck, and of course the Hansen/Roach Bible -- any suggestions for great go-to books or books you think will be helpful?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

NCCN guidelines are always handy (for oral boards and for practice). Best of all, they take up no shelf space.

For the weird stuff I run into once in awhile (or when I want to do some indepth reading), I generally use the online version of perez and brady rather than lug that book from home to the clinic.

www.nccn.org
http://solution.lww.com/perezandbradys

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure about books, but some journals:
Robb Report
Conde Nast Traveler
Du Jour

But seriously, everything is online. NCCN great, uptodate useful for rare things and whatever textbook you like. Things change too fast. Atlas' are nice but already on RTOG website.

Books I have actually found useful:

Ang and Garden's H&N book
Radiotherapy for non-malignant disorders by Seegenschmiedt
Perez and Brady
AJCC staging handbook
Diagnostic and Surgical Imaging anatmy: Brain, Head and Neck, Spine by Harnsberger

All available on Amazon.