What can boost my chances to get into US med school as an international applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dan_bli

Reaction score
Hi SDN. I'm male 22 y.o. from Russia. I'm finishing 1st year biology major this year. Next 3 years i'll take important "pre-med'" courses like: organic chemistry, zoology, microbiology etc. I really want to switch to a med and enter US med school after graduation.
I've got couple questions i'd like to ask:
Do i have any chanses to match into US med school?
What factors can boost my CV/resume?
Are there any loans for international applicants applying into US med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes; welcome, and yes you will have a chance. I am an international student and my signature shows it's possible; it would not be easy however. For resume boosting purposes, you can ace your courses, get clinical experiences by volunteering and other (if your immigration status allows) activities, do nonclinical community services, and participate in research. As of loans, there are available loans but they usually have very unfavorable interest rates so it would be better if you can avoid taking them out.

Edit: You also need to study in the US or Canada for anything that I have said to be effective. Most schools won't take people who finish their undergrad outside North America. Thanks @gyngyn !

Last edited: