What can I do this semester to really blow them away?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armybound

urologist.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I, of course, want to put together the strongest application possible, and I'm looking for some outside help :)

I applied in summer of 05 for 06 entry, but I applied very late (late July/early August) with a pretty poor GPA and a bad LOR from the pre-med committee at my school. I got 1 interview out of 12 applications, wait-listed.

Here's a quick rundown of my status:
Neuroscience major/chemistry minor at a private university in Texas
Undergrad overall GPA: 3.31
Undergrad science GPA: 3.32
(when I applied the first time these were ~3.1 each)
My GPA was getting more impressive by the year (usually). For instance, my first year's GPA was 2.6, the next year was 3.2, then a 3.4, and finally a 3.9, including my final semester where I took 18 hours with a 4.0. As you can tell, I matured quite a bit and took some responsibility.

I scored a 31P on the MCAT (11 VR, 10 PS and BS). I've only taken it once.

I'm now in graduate school getting a masters in biomedical studies. Last semester I took 11 science hours with a 4.0.
If you add in my masters work, it comes out to a 3.37 cumulative and 3.4 BCPM.
I'm starting research in a lab this semester, but I do not expect to get published.

As far as clinical experience, I think I'm OK.. but I'd like your opinion. In high school I got EMT-B certified, along with ~120 hours of volunteer medical work in a nursing home and on the ambulance. During my freshman and sophomore years I held 1 and 2 jobs (respectively) in a medically related setting, including 12 months as a technician in a surgical ICU.
However.. I do not have any medical experience SINCE the summer after my sophomore year. Do you think this will hurt me? Should I get some more/recent experience?
My other ECs are pretty common.. officer in a couple of clubs, tutored, etc.

Please let me know where you think I can improve the most, or if I have a decent shot at some state schools. My dream is Vanderbilt, but I dunno if I have any shot at all there.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If someone doesn't want to read through all that nonsense, I've narrowed it down to 2 main options:

1) More recent clinical experience. I have no idea what I'd do, but it might involve volunteering in the vascular surgery department. They need someone to help input data for a research project they're doing.

2) Retake the MCAT. I'm confident in my study abilities and I have a lot of free time, I think I could improve upon my 31.

I have 2 suggestions for you:

1. Bump that MCAT up to a 35.
2. Get more recent clinical experience.

BEST OF LUCK!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's one from the peanut gallery:

What does more clinical experience do? In my opinion you've seen enough in the ICU to get the general sense of what taking care of sick people is like. Unless your clinical experience is exactly that--something that increases your knowledge of clinical protocols or diagnostics--it will only restate what you've already stated with your application. I vote for a focus on the MCAT as a way of counter-ballancing your lower gpa. Good Luck Man!

I wouldn't do anything except reapply early in the cycle with a better LOR. Don't risk the 31. Your numbers are fine for mid-tier schools. Get a LOR (if you can) written by someone you know well. Ask them to focus on your ability to handle academic workload. You should be fine with where you are.

For context, I served on my school's adcom (UIC - MD). I was admitted with a 30 MCAT, 2.8 undergrad and 3.7 MPH.

- H

Here's one from the peanut gallery:

What does more clinical experience do? In my opinion you've seen enough in the ICU to get the general sense of what taking care of sick people is like. Unless your clinical experience is exactly that--something that increases your knowledge of clinical protocols or diagnostics--it will only restate what you've already stated with your application. I vote for a focus on the MCAT as a way of counter-ballancing your lower gpa. Good Luck Man!
Thanks. It was my opinion, as well, that I've got some good clinical experience. I was more concerned with how long it's been since I've had any. Maybe getting a more recent job would show more "dedication" ?
I wouldn't do anything except reapply early in the cycle with a better LOR. Don't risk the 31. Your numbers are fine for mid-tier schools. Get a LOR (if you can) written by someone you know well. Ask them to focus on your ability to handle academic workload. You should be fine with where you are.

For context, I served on my school's adcom (UIC - MD). I was admitted with a 30 MCAT, 2.8 undergrad and 3.7 MPH.

- H
Glad to hear your story, it gives me inspiration. Did you have any other factors that played a huge role, like excessively good research experience or a minority ethnicity?

Thanks. It was my opinion, as well, that I've got some good clinical experience. I was more concerned with how long it's been since I've had any. Maybe getting a more recent job would show more "dedication" ?

Glad to hear your story, it gives me inspiration. Did you have any other factors that played a huge role, like excessively good research experience or a minority ethnicity?

Nope. I took my MPH at a SPH affiliated with a medical school so my LORs were from joint appointed faculty. I had a first author poster presentation (no great shakes) and I am a caucasian male.

From sitting on an adcom I can tell you that what they are really interested in is your ability to complete the academic program. As I was told hundreds of times "we get literally thousands of applications from folks who can prove they will be 'good doctors'. The problem is that half of them wouldn't get through medical school". Prove that you have the perseverance, intellect and drive to get through. Demonstrating that is where you should focus your efforts.

- H

Well it sounds like I'm talking to the perfect person to give me more advice then..

I'm somewhat .. confused .. about what should be on my personal statement. I can send you my original, if you like, but I'm interested in knowing what topics should be on the letter for sure and which are unimportant.

I think a strong essay will go a long way for me, but I just don't know what it needs.

My stats are much like yours. Last year I applied late to the texas schools and had no luck. This year I applied early, really worked on my PS and ended up with two early acceptances. I think if you applied early and had a good PS, you'll get in somewhere. Good Luck.:thumbup:

My stats are much like yours. Last year I applied late to the texas schools and had no luck. This year I applied early, really worked on my PS and ended up with two early acceptances. I think if you applied early and had a good PS, you'll get in somewhere. Good Luck.:thumbup:
Awesome, good to hear.

Well it sounds like I'm talking to the perfect person to give me more advice then..

I'm somewhat .. confused .. about what should be on my personal statement. I can send you my original, if you like, but I'm interested in knowing what topics should be on the letter for sure and which are unimportant.

I think a strong essay will go a long way for me, but I just don't know what it needs.

PM me. I'd be happy to help.

- H

I just talked to my pre-med advisor. He suggested that I get some volunteer/work experience to show I'm still interested.

He also said I should not retake the MCAT. He explained how much it would hurt me if I had a bad day and did worse than I previously did. He also felt that if I could get it up to a 34 or 35 it wouldn't really do anything for me, that 30 is the "magic number".

Does anyone have an opinion on this, especially the MCAT part? I have been told that Vanderbilt won't take anything less than a 33 with 11s on each section. I know I don't have the strongest application, but I think a 35 would make me more competitive than a 31, wouldn't it?

(I hope to go to schools outside of TX)

I just talked to my pre-med advisor. He suggested that I get some volunteer/work experience to show I'm still interested.

He also said I should not retake the MCAT. He explained how much it would hurt me if I had a bad day and did worse than I previously did. He also felt that if I could get it up to a 34 or 35 it wouldn't really do anything for me, that 30 is the "magic number".

Does anyone have an opinion on this, especially the MCAT part? I have been told that Vanderbilt won't take anything less than a 33 with 11s on each section. I know I don't have the strongest application, but I think a 35 would make me more competitive than a 31, wouldn't it?

(I hope to go to schools outside of TX)

You're in the realm of the purely subjective. Your adviser made some good points. MCAT averages are climbing according to MSAR but they are only averages after all and your score is quite respectable. Try posting in the ADCOM sticky in the pre-allo forum. Maybe you could get some feedback from some adcomm members.

Hi Armybound,

Honestly your application looks really well-balanced already to me. It seems like you've covered all the bases. And a 31 doesn't seem too shabby at all. The one thing that really made a difference for me (not accepted yet, but did get interviews) is getting my AMCAS in early, and secondaries done early. For some reason it really helped. I have a bunch of friends who did a SMP with me--some had applied 2 times already--and they too got their AMCAS in early (by late June), and it made a world of difference.

Oh..the other thing that made a difference was picking a broad range of schools, with an emphasis on ones like MCW, Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, etc. I didn't even bother going for the Harvards for the most part. My state schools were basically my "reach" schools.

Good luck!

Hi Armybound,

Honestly your application looks really well-balanced already to me. It seems like you've covered all the bases. And a 31 doesn't seem too shabby at all. The one thing that really made a difference for me (not accepted yet, but did get interviews) is getting my AMCAS in early, and secondaries done early. For some reason it really helped. I have a bunch of friends who did a SMP with me--some had applied 2 times already--and they too got their AMCAS in early (by late June), and it made a world of difference.

Oh..the other thing that made a difference was picking a broad range of schools, with an emphasis on ones like MCW, Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, etc. I didn't even bother going for the Harvards for the most part. My state schools were basically my "reach" schools.

Good luck!
thanks a lot for the encouragement.

I'm hoping to find schools outside of Texas to apply to, especially in or around Tennessee. Hopefully there are some around there that wouldn't mind taking a look.

I hope to have my PS and everything ready to go immediately after AMCAS is available.