What can I put on my resume for research assistant position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedDreamTake2

Reaction score
I want to apply to a research assistant or clinical research assistant positions, but my resume is not good at all. I graduated in 2021 with a 3.9 GPA in Biology. The only lab experience I had was through my classes. Covid kind of prevented me from joining any labs and getting meaningful experiences during my junior and senior year. The last 3 years I have been working at my family's restaurant. What can I put on my resume to get a chance at being looked at for a research assistant position? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to apply to a research assistant or clinical research assistant positions, but my resume is not good at all. I graduated in 2021 with a 3.9 GPA in Biology. The only lab experience I had was through my classes. Covid kind of prevented me from joining any labs and getting meaningful experiences during my junior and senior year. The last 3 years I have been working at my family's restaurant. What can I put on my resume to get a chance at being looked at for a research assistant position? Any advice?
I’m not sure what you are asking. If you don’t have any research experience you need to just say that. Why do you want to join a lab now? Why are you feeling the need to get this experience

List whatever bench skills you have -- techniques you learned in your lab classes.

Clinical research positions are often related to forms (I'd say "paperwork" but most of it is online these days). You need to be reliable, systematic, follow a specific protocol for phone calls and other interactions with patients... there may be some overlap with skills you've acquired in the food service business.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not sure what you are asking. If you don’t have any research experience you need to just say that. Why do you want to join a lab now? Why are you feeling the need to get this experience
During early undergrad I was dumb and thought being a doctor had nothing to do with research or working in a lab. Now I see that research is an important part of medicine. When taking the labs in school I enjoyed them. Now after taking time off and deciding to recommit to this path I want to see if I enjoy the research side more than the clinical side. That is the main reason, but I have seen that a lot of students who get admitted into medical school have research, so that could be something I can add to my application. Maybe I can get a LOR out of it as well.

I remember what I did in the labs from undergrad, which I could include like LizzyM suggested. I also have been watching some youtube videos to refresh my memory on those skills as well. I am planning to apply to either basic research labs or clinical research labs at my undergrad or another university near me which is my dream med school. I am just scared I am not good enough for these positions and beat myself up when I look at my resume.

You shouldn’t do that when the whole purpose is resume building. When do you plan to apply to med school? How are your clinical experiences, nonclinical activities, and shadowing? Do you have plans for taking the MCAT? Have you put a study plan in place? When will you take it? Depending on your answers to all of those questions you might have to develop a plan for building your application. Although research is included in many/most applications it isn’t mandatory. What is your ultimate professional goal? Can you get there without research?
Good luck as you move along. Take your time. Do it right the first time so you don’t have to reapply.

While you don't have formal research experience outside of class, you can still definitely leverage the skills you learned (e.g., PCR, ELISA, SDS PAGE, etc), maybe list relevant coursework, and highlight your academic achievements (3.9 GPA = summa cum laude?). Soft skills from your other non-research jobs like communication, receptive to constructive feedback, eagerness/willingness to learn, quick learner, adaptable, organized, etc. are all important to list. You could also list any extra curriculars in college that might be helpful to provide even more evidence of those soft skills.

I think it would also help to write a cover letter expressing your interest in the research that the PI you are trying to apply to. You'll have to acknowledge that you're not going to help them make some groundbreaking scientific discovery, but that you are passionate and motivated to help move their project forward with their guidance and mentorship. With that said, I would stick to applying to positions in academia, as imo the people there are much more patient and willing to teach than in industry.

- a current research associate

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I agree, you should tailor your resume in a way that emphasizes your skills that you learned through your classes.

However, I also have to be honest--I don't think you're going to be competitive for a salaried position in a lab. While you had a good GPA, those skills haven't been used in 3 years, and you didn't acquire any practical hands-on experience during undergrad. I would happily take someone with a lower GPA fresh out of undergrad because I would be less worried about having to re-teach them basic techniques. I am less familiar with CRA positions, but like any job they would likely be looking for some level of recent relevant experience.

This doesn't mean you're doomed... but I'm not sure that at this point trying to gain research experience is the right path to enhance your med school application.