what can you do with a PhD in Developmental Psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

devpsych

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that I have been accepted to a doctoral program in Developmental Psychology, I began wondering-- what can I do with this degree?

Members don't see this ad.

I know one who is a licensed psychologist, but that is probably state dependent, most that I've met are faculty.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is an odd question at this stage, I agree. However, if you are actually asking, what do people do beyond academia, I suggest investigating what professors of interest do beyond teaching. Just ask. Some states may provide licensure routes if you complete the right coursework. There are obvious routes in schools and consulting and curriculum/intervention development.

Now I'm going to have Avenue Q stuck in my head all day! :laugh:

(grad school version) What do you do with a PhD in Dev. Psych? What is my life going to beeeeeeeee?

Four years of college and plenty of knowledge have earned me this useless degreeeeee

(I know it's not college, but grad school doesn't rhyme with knowledge D: )

:oops: I have heard of some who go to a more specific internship where they work with geneticist for children with genetic disorders, developmental delays, etc. But like others have mentioned before, most go into the academia world. My DCT for my Human Development program actually called me yesterday to let me know that they don't really provide training for students to get licensed and do therapy (which I mentioned in my PS) but I could transfer to their MFT program which is under the same dept after I earn my MS :oops:

I can't pay the bills yet....cause I have no skills yet....

The world is a big scary plaaaaaaaaaace!