What car will you buy after you graduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2005pharmD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a follow up question to the "what do you drive?" thread, what kind of a car do you plan/dream about buying once you've made it out of Pharmacy School and start making the big bucks? :) :D

Right now I'm thinking possibly of the Lexus IS350. 6 speed... ;)

Although models change by then, but just tell us your realistic choice...

Fun!!

Members don't see this ad.

What ever the newest Bimmer is out or the newest Benz, and of course get a cheap beat up car for work. That way nobody knows how much im really making :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Vintage mustang .

I hope i dont become a boring old fart in 6 years and buy a honda accord instead.

I'd rather put more money into a nice house or condo than an expensive car. My Passat is fine (however when my lease is up in April I will be downgrading since I will be a poor student again :( . When I get out of school i will also have a lot of loans ( and i don't expect a future spouse to have to help me pay for those) so i want to focus on paying those off too.

mm i am not even putting that much money into a house. I would rather invest in undeveloped land and own a pet horse and a llama or two.

oh and a condo in gulf shores alabama.

2009 GMC Denalli - Black.

I'll probably just wind up buying a certified pre-owned honda civic for my daily driver, and then get a nice, moderately-lifted truck for camping, towing toys, etc.

TrojanAnteater said:
by the time we graduate we'll have flying cars. ;)

:laugh: good one

Toyota Rav 4 ( i just think its cute) or a cadilac escalade with the spinning rims hehe (jeez and i'm not even in pharm school yet)

Something fast and hot and totally inappropriate for a 40-something mother of 4.

something around or under $20,000 (in today's terms). perhaps an acura rsx, but probably just a typical honda or toyota or something. cheap, reliable.

and if it lasts me 10 years, then my NEXT car... well, maybe i'll start looking at BMW, Audi, Acura, Lexus, Infiniti...

dont get an rsx they're crappy, I currently own one right now and the car has been nothing but problems

Members don't see this ad :)
I too plan to put more money into a house. We'll probably have to replace my husband's car by the time I graduate and right now we're toying with the Hybrid Totyota Highlander (by then they'll have ironed out the kinks). I personally like the new Volvos as a posssible replacement for my car later down the road.

I'd rather spend $$$ on great vacations. :cool: I'm not into material things...I would rather make great memories.

Roxicet said:
I'd rather spend $$$ on great vacations. :cool: I'm not into material things...I would rather make great memories.
In that case, can I borrow about $875/month for 5 years? I AM into material things and those BMW M3s cost a darn fortune... ;)

I'll take care of finding a job and pay my loan first...before thinking of anything....to be realistic.

Roxicet said:

werd...i'll just keep my '03 325i...and invest in a house first then go chill on the beaches in the caribbean for a little bit after graduation :cool:

I'm planning to keep the Shaggin Wagon until it dies - when it dies I want a Prius or a VW GTI.

If the Shaggin Wagon survives pharm school I'm buying a diesel F350 for the horsies, and will keep the car for commuting.

i dont plan to put soo much money into the rides but at the same time need rides that can do what i need them to...by the time i get out, i would
expect my car to run mainly on water + electricity with minimal gas.

Then Ill trade in my cars and buy a Range Rover (08-09) and a bmdub/audi/infiniti (whoever's on top design+performance-wise at that time).
1 for work, 1 for play.

Buying back my old Ford Thunderbird SuperCoupe I had back in high school - $4000

Suping it up into a 600HP/500 ft-lbs muscle monster - $7000

Kicking the crap out of a $50,000 sports car in the 1/4 mile - priceless

Roxicet said:
I'm not into material things...I would rather make great memories.

That's good to hear. I'll meet you after APC tomorrow so that we can exchange car keys!

...oh, and if you decide to drop the top on my (err, I mean your ) car, there's no guarantee it'll go back up. :)

jdpharmd? said:
In that case, can I borrow about $875/month for 5 years? I AM into material things and those BMW M3s cost a darn fortune... ;)

As I recall, you promised to pay ME a "million bazillion dollars" when I win our little bet from last year. :p :clap: Please forward it to the beach where I'll be sippin margaritas. :thumbup:

pharmaz88 said:
That's good to hear. I'll meet you after APC tomorrow so that we can exchange car keys!

...oh, and if you decide to drop the top on my (err, I mean your ) car, there's no guarantee it'll go back up. :)

It's a deal!...as long as you make the payments that go along with my car. ;) I'd gladly give it up.

I can't wait to start working. I'll probably get an Audi (S4 is too expensive so maybe A4) or an Acura TL...we'll see. It's ok to treat yourself well :p

Besides, buying a car will help build credit (good excuse, huh)

Another way of asking the question, I guess, is "what car would you buy if you have already graduated and are working now," since we really have no way of knowing what cars will be out in 4-5 years. So let's just stick w/ 2005 model years and below. I sure think the BMW M5 looks great (the older body style, not the new one which I truely dislike). But at about $80k, I don't know if that'd be affordable for a pharmacist!

Cars are one of my passions :)

Roxicet said:
It's a deal!...as long as you make the payments that go along with my car. ;) I'd gladly give it up.

can I wrap them into the consolidation of my undergrad direct loans, and defer payment until 6 months post-graduation? :D (wishful thinking)

rxgal8 said:
I can't wait to start working. I'll probably get an Audi (S4 is too expensive so maybe A4) or an Acura TL...we'll see. It's ok to treat yourself well :p

Besides, buying a car will help build credit (good excuse, huh)

I really think that Audi makes some of the sleekest, cleanest, and most eye-appealing cars in the world. The 3 adjectives I used to describe Audis' are expressed in this A8 model: http://www.xportauto.com/images-vehicles/audi-a8-1.jpg what do you think?

Mini Cooper...don't laugh. I don't like big cars. My last car was a Subaru Justy, just so you know where I'm coming from. And hopefully, by the time we graduate, these will be available in the States:

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/models.php

:laugh: No, I'm serious.

Troy

2005pharmD said:
I really think that Audi makes some of the sleekest, cleanest, and most eye-appealing cars in the world. The 3 adjectives I used to describe Audis' are expressed in this A8 model: http://www.xportauto.com/images-vehicles/audi-a8-1.jpg what do you think?
:love:
Also, Audis are unique.....seems like everyone has a beemer but not that many audis. Sleekest, cleanest, eye-appealing...I like that! Since they're German, you know they'll last too. :thumbup:

the flying one.

the replys here sure are humble compared to the dental forum.

.... Ferrari Enzo? :D

I'll probably drive my current car (Subaru WRX) till its' demise and cop up money for whatever high-performance car that's out at the time... I'm not too much into luxury as I am into performance. :)

pharmaz88 said:
please elaborate

There's a similiar topic I read over at teeth and majority of them are going european.

WVUPharm2007 said:
Buying back my old Ford Thunderbird SuperCoupe I had back in high school - $4000

Suping it up into a 600HP/500 ft-lbs muscle monster - $7000

Kicking the crap out of a $50,000 sports car in the 1/4 mile - priceless
I used to run those SCs with my 94 Taurus SHO 5-speed. Fun times... all illegal of course, but fun too. :smuggrin:

aubieRx said:
Vintage mustang .

I hope i dont become a boring old fart in 6 years and buy a honda accord instead.

I'm already a boring old fart....I plan to buy a Honda Accord!! :p

I already live in a big, luxury level home. My husband pays for that, so I'm supposed to spring for the cars. I've been thinking about the Mercedes SLK350. I like the power hard top convertible. But, my husband wants a Jaguar XK8 convertible, so I'll probably go with the Mazda RX-8.

I want a true sports car, not a GT car. There is a world of difference when you are sitting behind the wheel.

JackBeanstalk said:
There's a similiar topic I read over at teeth and majority of them are going european.

so those sissy dentists and their european cars. See the way they hold their cigarettes like a european nazi.

just joking

I'm gonna by a Land Rover Defender 90 a new one if I can sneak it across the ocean from Europe otherwise probably a '98 model, the last year they made them in the U.S. And then of course for my expensive toy I've got have a Nautique Team Edition 221, which with all the options runs like $85,000, but they finance them for 15 years so it's all good. I love my wakeboard boats and since the parents already have a place on the lake I guess I'll continue living in the apartment over the garage for a few years after school so I can afford my toys. I'll probably still be driving the '05 Scion Tc I have now everyday, don't wanna put miles on the Rover.

Jesus, where do you guys get all that money to buy these fancy cars? Last time I checked, pharmacists don't make that much.

last time i checked 100,000 per year is more than most people out there make

It's all relative I guess. ;) Anyway, that's only about 60,000 after tax. Are you guys seriously gonna spend a year-worth of salary on car? I would like to one day, but I don't think I can straight out of school.

I just got a new car, so I will probably still be paying that off when I finish school. Im not really into cars, I'd rather pay off my house and go on some nice vacations. But when this car dies Ill probably try whatever the current technology in hybrids is, Im sure by that time gas will be near $4 a gallon, even here in oklahoma.

dgroulx said:
I already live in a big, luxury level home. My husband pays for that, so I'm supposed to spring for the cars. I've been thinking about the Mercedes SLK350. I like the power hard top convertible. But, my husband wants a Jaguar XK8 convertible, so I'll probably go with the Mazda RX-8.

I want a true sports car, not a GT car. There is a world of difference when you are sitting behind the wheel.

Just FYI: the XK8 vert starts at $76,000. I urge you to reconsider the RX-8, unless there is a turbo model out by 08. They are pretty slow (1.3 liter, 238HP), and are almost marketed as family cars with those silly extended doors. They are nothing compared to the older turbo RX-7s of yesteryear.

I wouldn't consider the Jag or the Rx-8 to be a "true" sports car, if you're excluding GT cars (BMW M3, BMW M5, Audi S4, Audi RS6, WRX STi, Lancer EVO, etc). The jag is possibly "luxury sport", and the rx-8 is... well sporty looking. ...IMHO

Check out a Porsche Boxter S right after you test drive the Rx-8. Let the husband get a Mustang GT or something else (equally as fast as the Jag). The Mustang has the Jag beat in acceleration to 60, 1/4 mile, and skidpad. Braking and MPG are identical. $48k more (for the jag) is a lot for a fancy skin and some cat on the hood. ;)

You deserve the Porsche.

PS Reconsider "GT" cars. ;)

jdpharmd? said:
Check out a Porsche Boxter S right after you test drive the Rx-8.

You deserve the Porsche.

Porsche Boxter = Volkswagen Cabrio for the new century

...flight attendant's girlie car.

If you're going to do Porsche, then at least do it right. :)

Mr_Ritim said:
dont get an rsx they're crappy, I currently own one right now and the car has been nothing but problems

i own one too, and have had it for 3 years without a problem.

i definitely like the idea of the jag xk8 conv... but there are faster sports cars out there (that one is just sexy)

i probably won't get a new car... it will all depend on how far i have to drive and where i'm located.

i currently have a theory on life.... you either have to be "bigger than" or "faster than"...
this definitely applies to cars for me too... i can't handle a regular car..