What category does shadowing belong to on the application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

made you look

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I recently started on my AMCAS application and I have three questions concerning shadowing experiences:

1) What category, out of the 14 possible ones does Shadowing Experience fall under for the AMCAS application?

In particular I figured it would be decided amongst these four:
- Community Service Volunteer - not medical/clinical
- Community Service/Volunteer - Medical/clinical
- Extracurricular/Hobbies/Avocations
- Other (...and I would just list it as Shadowing Experience).

Upon filling it out I was leaning moreso towards Community Service/Volunteer but I couldn't decide if it was medical v. non medical and clinical.

2) I have amassed about ~150 shadowing hours (2 MDs and 3DOs) throughout my last three years of college and should we allow them to have their own individual categories each or should I just group them together?
-I was able to shadow one MD for about 80 hrs and the other physicians I received about 20 hours each from them.

3) About how exact do our hours have to be when placing them on our applications. I was able to keep a log for the majority of the guys I shadowed but in particular for one DO, i lost my log and had to estimate where I stood. I guess what I'm trying to ask is how specific will AMCAS/AACOMAS be?

Thank you guys so much. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing may be clinical but it is of no service to anyone but yourself. It is not community service/volunteer.

Use "other".

Put the start and end dates and leave the average number of hours per wk blank.

List the doctors as follows:

Dr. Jay Jones, Seattle Grace Hospital, Surgery, 3 days, 36 hours.
Dr. Sydney Smith, Family Practice, Sacramento, CA: 5 days, 50 hours
Dr. Ed Strogg, Urology, office based practice, Oakland, CA, 2 days, 6 hours.

and so forth