What causes a lag year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonathani1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that the AMCAS application needs to be in by Aug - November (depending on the schools you are applying to).

What NEEDS to have been completed before then?:

-The core classes (Biol, Orgo, Gen Chem, Phys, etc)?

-The MCAT? (If not, could I supbmit my application in August, and then do the MCAT in April, to get in to Med school by September of the same year)?

-Volunteer work?

Thanks
Jon

Members don't see this ad.

jonathani1 said:
I understand that the AMCAS application needs to be in by Aug - November (depending on the schools you are applying to).

What NEEDS to have been completed before then?:

-The core classes (Biol, Orgo, Gen Chem, Phys, etc)?

-The MCAT? (If not, could I supbmit my application in August, and then do the MCAT in April, to get in to Med school by September of the same year)?

-Volunteer work?

Thanks
Jon

I think you are not quite seeing things right in terms of time frame. You need to finish the prereqs, and THEN take the MCAT in April or August (as the prereqs are material covered by the MCAT), and then have the AMCAS submitted by Jun-early fall of THAT SAME YEAR, to start med school that following August (a year later, and BTW most schools start in August, not September). Med schools start interviewing in the fall following the AMCAS submission through the winter (or in some cases spring). If you take the MCAT in the following April, it won't usually be seen before med schools make their decision. Also bear in mind that most schools have rolling admissions, and so even though they say they will accept secondary applications as late as eg. January, you will have significantly worse odds of admission if you apply that late.