What constitutes state residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rimanek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am neither a U.S. citizen nor a permanent resident. I am currently on a work visa (H-1B), applying to medical schools, and have been living in New York for the past 4 years. Will NY schools consider me a resident because I've lived there and paid taxes or a non-resident because of my citizenship? Thanks for any insights!

Members don't see this ad.

USUALLY, in order to be considered a resident for tuition purposes you must be either a US citizen or a Permanent Resident (in possession of a green card or A#).

According to info in the AAMCAS booklet of instructions for 2006, you would be required to check "International" on your application.

When applying for in-state residence, do I have to include my Federal Tax Income form? What about both my parents', if they claim me as a dependent? Both my mom and I are residents of Virginia, but my dad is a resident of Alaska. I know to apply in-state for Virginia schools, but I'm just not sure of what supporting documents they need. If you have the answer(s) sunnyjohn, please fill me in!

Members don't see this ad :)
sunnyjohn said:
USUALLY, in order to be considered a resident for tuition purposes you must be either a US citizen or a Permanent Resident (in possession of a green card or A#).

According to info in the AAMCAS booklet of instructions for 2006, you would be required to check "International" on your application.

Thanks but I'm not really asking for tuition purposes but for admissions purposes - given that in-state applicants are often preferred. Any thoughts on that?

rimanek said:
Thanks but I'm not really asking for tuition purposes but for admissions purposes - given that in-state applicants are often preferred. Any thoughts on that?

I'll rephrase: You will not be considered a state resident.
When you fill out the AMCAS application, if you ARE NOT a US citizen and ARE NOT a Perm Resident, you will have to put on the application that you are an international applicant. The choices are very specific. Schools will use this info.

I have heard of a few states giving "consideration" to students who have lived in their state for a long time.

Let me also add, from my past experience with International students and my understanding of the UCIS, I have heard of a few states and colleges allowing persons on the H1-B to pay in-state tuition. They did not consider them state residents, but they did offer them some instate benefits. This was for undergrad and graduate program, not heard of it for med school.

I realize you were not asking soley from a tuition standpoint. You should probably call the schools you are considering to see if they would give you some consideration.

can you be a state resident for more than 2 states?

TekkenDanser said:
When applying for in-state residence, do I have to include my Federal Tax Income form? What about both my parents', if they claim me as a dependent? Both my mom and I are residents of Virginia, but my dad is a resident of Alaska. I know to apply in-state for Virginia schools, but I'm just not sure of what supporting documents they need. If you have the answer(s) sunnyjohn, please fill me in!

I assume you are asking what proof you will have to supply to the folks at your school of choice in Virginia?

Usually a tax return, driver's license, state ID, lease or mortgage will work. Most places request two items. Some places are really lax, but always be prepared.