What could be missing? THEFT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdispatch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone is breaking into all the local veterinary clinics. With the exception of $50 at one clinic, everybody says nothing was stolen.

All drugs, money and equipment has been accounted for with the exception of that $50 mentioned earlier. What else might get stolen yet go completely unnoticed at multiple clinics?

I feel they must have a purpose behind these break-ins. But none of us have been able to figure out what it could be. Nothing like this has ever happened here.

Members don't see this ad.

Stock of other things that aren't as well controlled-syringes and needles, prescription food, stuff like that perhaps?

At the risk of sounding like I have a criminal mind: injectable drugs withdrawn in syringes from the bottles, which are then topped up with saline or water; taking individual pills that aren't legally controlled drugs (and thus not in the safe) but have recreational use, leaving the pill bottles with some pills left; needles and syringes.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the risk of sounding like I have a criminal mind: injectable drugs withdrawn in syringes from the bottles, which are then topped up with saline or water

Yikes.

I'd check overstock on hospital equipment - needles, syringes, as mentioned. And paper copies of client records.

At the risk of sounding like I have a criminal mind: injectable drugs withdrawn in syringes from the bottles, which are then topped up with saline or water; taking individual pills that aren't legally controlled drugs (and thus not in the safe) but have recreational use, leaving the pill bottles with some pills left; needles and syringes.

Very common, especially by drug using vets and techs

Thanks for the information. I'll call around to the clinics this morning and get their thoughts on this. The idea of having diluted drugs is particularly scary.

My clinic has not been hit yet, but it is one of the last in the city that has not. We just got an alarm system put in as a response to this. Maybe that will help.

At the risk of sounding like I have a criminal mind: injectable drugs withdrawn in syringes from the bottles, which are then topped up with saline or water.

This happened somewhere where I worked with several controlled substances (done by a tech who worked there). Of course this would only be likely in your case if the safes were opened (or if someone had a key).

This was my first thought as well.

You can check to see if this is happening by using a refractometer to compare the specific gravity a sample of the liquid from open bottle to the liquid from a new (sealed) bottle.

Agreed with all those above.

Any money stolen was probably just an attempt to cover up the actual crime.