What could I improve on (second round applying)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucky201010

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a 22 yr female who in their first cycle got 3 rejections (UF, Auburn, Illinois) and 2 interviews for vet school(VMCVM, and Mississippi state). I was wondering if anyone could provide feedback on what I could improve on for next cycle in case I do not get into the schools I interviewed with. I ideally would like to get into my in state next cycle (UF).

GPA:
Overall- 3.71
Science-3.61

equine (animal hours)- 55hrs of a grooming class I took
small animal veterinary experience- (including TNR, Specialty surgery, holistic-all volunteer) 600 hrs, by my next application cycle I will have this number increased due to obtaining a full time job as a tech at an urgent care (2,080 hrs just as a FT VT). So in total will be 2,680 hrs.
Exotic: 0

animal hours are limited due to wanting to pursue vet school in my junior year of college and working in a lab. I ended up finding places I could volunteer in the clinic under a veterinarian so many of my hours are in the veterinary aspect.

Leadership and volunteer positions/extracurriculars not related to veterinary medicine- 1196 hrs

Research (paid position) that includes working as a lab tech and research assistant for around 2 years and of 4-6 months of those working under a DVM/PhD for her research directly with lab animals. I have accumulated 1157 hrs and will be in a publication this year.

My aspirations are to either work as a small animal veterinarian or in research, still undecided.

Thank you if you have read this far and I am open to any and all advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You need large animal veterinary experience. You currently have none at all, if I'm understanding correctly, and that's going to hold you back a lot. Your GPAs seem fine (what's your last 45?).

You really need to get large animal hours though, so I'd be looking at opportunities in equine or food animal to get those experiences, even though you think you want to be in SA or research.

You need large animal veterinary experience. You currently have none at all, if I'm understanding correctly, and that's going to hold you back a lot. Your GPAs seem fine (what's your last 45?).

You really need to get large animal hours though, so I'd be looking at opportunities in equine or food animal to get those experiences, even though you think you want to be in SA or research.
Hi thank you, I have reached out to a few clinics to gain large animal vet experience. I hope to hear back soon to shadow an equine vet. Currently, my last 45 credits GPA is a 3.55.