What could I possibly do on top of MCAT studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rahul0774

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am scheduled to take the MCAT on August 21st. I am currently a sophomore, but I will have completed all of the necessary prereqs by the end of this semester (I am currently taking Orgo II and Physics II). My mind has been made up for months. I'm going to studying for the entire summer using SN2ed's schedule, and I have already collected all of the appropriate prep material. I am well aware that this exam is more of a marathon rather than just a simple sprint. I have no problem with allocating my entire summer to just MCAT studying and nothing else. However, could I possibly undertake regular volunteering opportunities, clinical and non-clinical, on top of my studies? Thank you in advance for any advice that you are able to send my way.

Members don't see this ad.

By utilizing your time not spent studying in constructive ways...?

Reactions: 1 user
I suppose the wording in my title/post is a bit vague. I have ideas of what I want to do i.e. shadowing, volunteering, etc. I just want to know if undertaking other responsibilities outside of just studying for the MCAT would be feasible/advisable. I know that the old adage "to each his own" does apply here. I realize that I, alone, am the best judge of my own abilities and can determine whether or not I am capable of balancing studying with other activities. I am simply searching for anecdotal evidence in support of or against the possible courses of action that I have laid out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in your same position man. I'll be working 20-25 hours a week as scribing, since I scribe already. 2 days out of 7 is fine. However if you can't handle doing two things at once, don't force it.

I worked full time and took a class while studying for the MCAT. You could easily volunteer 10-20 hours/week and have plenty of time to study.

Reactions: 1 users
I suppose the wording in my title/post is a bit vague. I have ideas of what I want to do i.e. shadowing, volunteering, etc. I just want to know if undertaking other responsibilities outside of just studying for the MCAT would be feasible/advisable. I know that the old adage "to each his own" does apply here. I realize that I, alone, am the best judge of my own abilities and can determine whether or not I am capable of balancing studying with other activities. I am simply searching for anecdotal evidence in support of or against the possible courses of action that I have laid out.

I was working 40-50 hour weeks while doing the Sn2ed schedule (though I did the four month variation). I wouldn't schedule anything for the first week or two (IMO the early BR chapters are torturously slow paced), but when you get to week 3 or so you'll know how much free time you have. Do some volunteering, do some shadowing, but also have some fun. Otherwise you'll be back here in a month suffering burnout and self-doubt.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same exact boat as you buddy. Except I am self-teaching myself Physics 2 material...
I am doing SN2ed 3-month as well, starting on May 7th......

I will continue to craft original research for my senior thesis as well as continue with clinical research while studying full time. Oh, and I am taking a Orgo 2 lab as well.

Thanks for all of the advice, guys. And to those of you who will also be studying for the MCAT, good luck. I guess I'll just have to see how much more I can handle on top of MCAT studying once I actually start with my studying.