What counts toward retirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bustbones26

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend an I were talking and we cannot figure this one out, so maybe somebody here can answer.

Does the time you spend in residency/fellowship count toward the 20 years of service toward retirement?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, yes.

Originally posted by bustbones26
A friend an I were talking and we cannot figure this one out, so maybe somebody here can answer.

Does the time you spend in residency/fellowship count toward the 20 years of service toward retirement?

i think it counts, but only if you make 20, ie, you retire with 23 or 24 years instead of 20. honestly i don;t know-- anyone else have any solid knowledge about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Internship, residency, fellowships all counts toward retirement. Meaning if you do a surgery residency, then do a CT fellowship...totalling say 7 years of postgraduate training, you only need to remain on active duty for an addition 13 years to retire.

Training doesn't count if you train in a deferred status.

Homonoculus, only time you can retire after 20 active duty years with 24th year pay is when you graduate from USUHS.. .Great incentive for retirement! Active duty years begin after you graduate from medical school.

Originally posted by haujun
Homonoculus, only time you can retire after 20 active duty years with 24th year pay is when you graduate from USUHS.. .Great incentive for retirement! Active duty years begin after you graduate from medical school.

i'm jsut impressed our residency counts, lol :)

so what % of basepay if 24 vs 20?

I believe its 60%.

50% at 20 years + 2.5% every year thereafter until 30.