What do I need to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dwade06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After trying numerous times to do well on the mcat, I have decided to switch to dentistry. I kept screwing up on the verbal section of the mcat but my bio, chem, and physics sections were pretty good. I have a subpar gpa of 3.18 after struggling my first year and half of college. I got myself together afterwards. My upper level bio gpa was a 3.8 consisting of 10 bio classes including an A+ in orgo 2. With that being said, what dat score would I need to secure a spot in a dental school in the northeast. I have volunteered in hospitals and nursing centers, have shadowed physicians, but have no exposure in the dental field. Would volunteering in a dental clinic do? Or is it a must that I shadow a dentist?

Members don't see this ad.

After trying numerous times to do well on the mcat, I have decided to switch to dentistry. I kept screwing up on the verbal section of the mcat but my bio, chem, and physics sections were pretty good. I have a subpar gpa of 3.18 after struggling my first year and half of college. I got myself together afterwards. My upper level bio gpa was a 3.8 consisting of 10 bio classes including an A+ in orgo 2. With that being said, what dat score would I need to secure a spot in a dental school in the northeast. I have volunteered in hospitals and nursing centers, have shadowed physicians, but have no exposure in the dental field. Would volunteering in a dental clinic do? Or is it a must that I shadow a dentist?
Naaah. Think of dentistry as a mail order bride.

Reactions: 1 user
Dentistry isn't a "fall back" for not being able to get into med school..and it's a common question asked if you get an interview. By all means try the DAT, but there is no guaranty you will do any better on the DAT vs MCAT. You will need to volunteer and shadow, at roughly 100 hours each, and they don't double count. What was your MCAT score?