What do I need?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camaryal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a graduate student thinking about medical school after I finish my degree. I'll be taking the MCAT in the fall and won't be applying until Summer 2015. My current information is as follows:

Undergrad GPA: cGPA-3.86 sGPA-3.91
Grad GPA: 3.67

Volunteering:
~6hr/month at the med student-run free clinic

ECs:
Vice president of departmental graduate student association for 1yr and community outreach chair 1yr
Marketing chair for charity organization's annual fundraiser to reduce childhood obesity for 1yr

Given that my research takes up the majority of my time, it would be difficult to increase the number of volunteer hours and EC hours. My ideal schools would be UCSF, UCSD, Vanderbilt, Duke, Penn, etc. due to their medical education and exceptional research. Having an exceptional research record is key for me.

Given these data, what should I shoot for on the MCAT? Should I be allotting my volunteering and EC hours differently? Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Uh, definitely need shadowing in there.

I'm currently a graduate student thinking about medical school after I finish my degree. I'll be taking the MCAT in the fall and won't be applying until Summer 2015. My current information is as follows:

Volunteering:

ECs:
Vice president of departmental graduate student association for 1yr and community outreach chair 1yr
Marketing chair for charity organization's annual fundraiser to reduce childhood obesity for 1yr

Given that my research takes up the majority of my time, it would be difficult to increase the number of volunteer hours and EC hours. My ideal schools would be UCSF, UCSD, Vanderbilt, Duke, Penn, etc. due to their medical education and exceptional research. Having an exceptional research record is key for me.

Given these data, what should I shoot for on the MCAT? Should I be allotting my volunteering and EC hours differently? Thanks for any input!

UCSD and UCSF are extremely competitive for out of state students. Consider that. For any of the schools you named you would need an exceptional MCAT score ~36. Since you are making clear that research is your interest you should stick to research, but perhaps consider some clinical observations every once in a while. Also, if your MCAT is high look into MSTP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh, definitely need shadowing in there.
I already know what I want to do, so I feel the shadowing may not be worthwhile for me given my specific interests.

UCSD and UCSF are extremely competitive for out of state students. Consider that. For any of the schools you named you would need an exceptional MCAT score ~36. Since you are making clear that research is your interest you should stick to research, but perhaps consider some clinical observations every once in a while. Also, if your MCAT is high look into MSTP.
I'm originally from CA and my parents still live there, but my residency is now in a different state. Research is currently my main interest but my future career goals include practice in pain medicine and research in oxidative stress contributions to chronic pain conditions. Given the subjectivity of pain, I feel that having a clinical perspective and regular patient interaction is essential for advancement of the field in terms of research and therapeutics. I'm currently in grad school, so by the time I'm in med school I'll have a PhD in Biochemistry, so MSTP is out.

For the top schools, MCAT should be >36. You'll still need the right ECs.

Volunteering:

ECs:

As suggested, shadowing is required. You have to show us that you know what a doctor's day is like. For non-clinical ECs, contact your local houses of worship. I'm partial to Habitat for Humanity myself. You need these to demonstrate your altruism.
Do you think simply shadowing a pain medicine doctor will be sufficient or should I include additional specialties? I honestly don't know if I have time to work with additional volunteer organizations. With the charity organization I'm part of and my community outreach chair requirements, I'm already at 8-10hr per month. With the 6hr from clinic ECs, I'm afraid any additional ECs will be detrimental to my research. I'd prefer not to stay in grad school longer than the average.

I think you will need to mix it up. At the least, throw in a Primary care doc.

Do you think simply shadowing a pain medicine doctor will be sufficient or should I include additional specialties?

You can pare down one and start building up another. Having taken 6 years to get my PhD, I can sympathize with not wanting to stay longer than necessary. Getting a PhD should mean a grad students needs tenure! OR, take an app cycle and see how it goes.

I honestly don't know if I have time to work with additional volunteer organizations. With the charity organization I'm part of and my community outreach chair requirements, I'm already at 8-10hr per month. With the 6hr from clinic ECs, I'm afraid any additional ECs will be detrimental to my research. I'd prefer not to stay in grad school longer than the average.[/QUOTE]

I think you will need to mix it up. At the least, throw in a Primary care doc.
Ok. I'll do that. I have about 15 friends that are residents, fellows, or attending across 7 specialties, so I can easily find someone to shadow.

You can pare down one and start building up another. Having taken 6 years to get my PhD, I can sympathize with not wanting to stay longer than necessary. Getting a PhD should mean a grad students needs tenure! OR, take an app cycle and see how it goes.
I'm glad you understand the grad school length issues. My PI says I'll graduate in Spring 2016. He really prides himself on getting his students out quickly with good publications. In his 39 year career, all his students finished in 5.5 years or less, so I feel a bit stressed to maintain his record. I'll try to decrease my activities in my charity organization and try to work more directly with some of the non-profits we work with to get some more non-clinical volunteering.

Where are your Undergrad EC's? I think it is more understandable that during grad school you don't have as much time, but your ugrad would hopefully show all your volunteering, leadership, sports, etc that you are interested in/have done.

Will you be published in any number of papers by the time you are done as well?

From my experience, the people that get interviews at those top schools have the MCATs definitely in the range of the MSAR's stats. You will very likely need at least a mid 30's, to high 30's score to be competitive.

Where are your Undergrad EC's? I think it is more understandable that during grad school you don't have as much time, but your ugrad would hopefully show all your volunteering, leadership, sports, etc that you are interested in/have done.

Will you be published in any number of papers by the time you are done as well?

From my experience, the people that get interviews at those top schools have the MCATs definitely in the range of the MSAR's stats. You will very likely need at least a mid 30's, to high 30's score to be competitive.
I didn't include any of my undergrad ECs since they will be so far removed from when I apply. I had some volunteering, was a TA for chemistry and precalculus, had club involvement, but from the end of sophomore year until I graduated, I was working in the lab doing research.

By the time I graduate, I will have a least 5 papers, at least two first author.

I didn't include any of my undergrad ECs since they will be so far removed from when I apply. I had some volunteering, was a TA for chemistry and precalculus, had club involvement, but from the end of sophomore year until I graduated, I was working in the lab doing research.

By the time I graduate, I will have a least 5 papers, at least two first author.
Might want to wait for an opinion from one of our adcom members, but I would imagine the undergrad activities is very important to include on your application. It really helps give a good picture of you as a person outside of a life stuck in the lab.

Might want to wait for an opinion from one of our adcom members, but I would imagine the undergrad activities is very important to include on your application. It really helps give a good picture of you as a person outside of a life stuck in the lab.
I've discussed the option of going to med school with the assistant admissions director for MSTP/director of PhD admissions at my institution. She recruited me here for grad school so she is well aware of my undergraduate and graduate work. She told me that, based on my record (she even pulled up my grad school app at our first appointment), I really just need to focus on clinical experience. What she looks for in MD students is leadership, research, medical exposure, service, and academics. The medical exposure was my only big issue and service could be increased. While I trust her opinion, her and I are very close due to my service in recruiting PhDs and my involvement in the program's URM activities. She may like me more than the average admissions person, which is why I need additional opinions.