What do medical students not ask about enough during residency interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StilgarMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm interviewing soon, and I've been preparing for the inevitable 'do you have any questions for me?' part. I've seen some good suggestions, but I'm curious whether there is anything surprisingly important that, as a med student, I should be asking about and which may conceivably factor into our decision. things like call schedule, meal cards, parental benefits, stipends, didactic protection are already on my mind, but I'm wondering if there is something that folks with experience may recommend inquiring about.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Don't ask about logistical things you can Google or nitpicky details that will probably be shared at the beginning of the interview day. You can usually find that on the GME website. If not, you can ask residents during lunch or dinner. It's not a good use of precious 1:1 interviewing time. It's important to reflect on what the most important factors are for you: location, community, family concerns, patient population, research opportunities.

It's a chance for you to interview the residency program. Lots of good questions that can be framed from a place of curiosity and wanting to find the best fit for you. "I'm really looking to find the best fit program for me. Can you tell me what kind of person would do well in residency here?" You can then use that opportunity to highlight the areas in your application that fit into that.

It's also an opportunity to reassure the interviewer about any misgivings on your application. "Do you have any concerns about my application?" is a great question to clear up anything that may have not been communicated well or that they may have mistaken about you.

Source: Was on the resident selection committee.

Reactions: 5 users
I like “what are your 2 favorite things about this program/department?” And “if you could change 2 things what would they be and how would you change them?”

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What do residents do for fun? Where in the city do most of them live? I've found that during a lot of ranking meetings, there's a huge focus on whether an applicant from the West Coast will move from to the East Coast or vice versa, particularly if there's no connection to the area. And then if they do move, how will they acclimate. There are significant cultural differences across the US. I have to guess that this is an even bigger issue now with so many virtual interviews. Try to ask questions that show an actual interest in moving, assuming you don't already live where you're interviewing.

How do the attendings or program directors handle feedback?
What is the program's pass rate for boards?
What is the complete hierarchy for on call?

I'd pay extra attention to how happy/unhappy ALL of the people you see appear to be. I remember some of the "big name" programs where the interns, nurses, to attendings all seemed miserable. You will usually tour and interview with the more positive ones. I steered clear of those that looked so unhappy. Your own mental health during this time is VERY important.
You can get a great education and a bottom level program and a terrible education at a top level program depending on what you put into it.

Reactions: 1 user
How do the attendings or program directors handle feedback?
What is the program's pass rate for boards?
What is the complete hierarchy for on call?

I'd pay extra attention to how happy/unhappy ALL of the people you see appear to be. I remember some of the "big name" programs where the interns, nurses, to attendings all seemed miserable. You will usually tour and interview with the more positive ones. I steered clear of those that looked so unhappy. Your own mental health during this time is VERY important.
You can get a great education and a bottom level program and a terrible education at a top level program depending on what you put into it.
They don't tour the hospitals anymore now that many interviews are virtual... They don't even do lunch/dinner/happy hour with residents either which is a loss. My top program ended up going to number 3 because of the lunch/dinner and how unhappy the residents seemed and how much they complained about their program.

Yeah, I think a lot of us interviewed pre-COVID and our advice might be a bit outdated with the virtual interviews. Such a weird world...

They don't even do lunch/dinner/happy hour with residents either which is a loss.
That's a bummer, not even a virtual meet-and-greet?

I feel like there's a lot of information that may not be critical but that's nice to have and lost with virtual interviews e.g. What are the facilities you'll be using like? What is the cohort of residents who show up for free food + chat with applicants like? How's the vibe/safety/convenience of the neighborhood surrounding the hospital? What's the greater city around the hospital like? Obviously you can independently choose to fly out to learn some of these things but others are only possible through the preinterview/interview experiences.

That's a bummer, not even a virtual meet-and-greet?

I feel like there's a lot of information that may not be critical but that's nice to have and lost with virtual interviews e.g. What are the facilities you'll be using like? What is the cohort of residents who show up for free food + chat with applicants like? How's the vibe/safety/convenience of the neighborhood surrounding the hospital? What's the greater city around the hospital like? Obviously you can independently choose to fly out to learn some of these things but others are only possible through the preinterview/interview experiences.

Yeah I feel like virtual interviews are so lame. There are definitely places that swayed me one way or the other on rank listing when I actually stayed in the city or saw where the hospital was compared to where I'd probably live.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah I feel like virtual interviews are so lame. There are definitely places that swayed me one way or the other on rank listing when I actually stayed in the city or saw where the hospital was compared to where I'd probably live.

100% this. I know it’s supposed to be an “equity” thing financially, but I would never want to pick up my life to spend the next 3+ years somewhere I’d never even visited. I took out extra loans my 4th year specifically for travel just in case. Plus it means there’s no financial dis-incentive for going to 20+ interviews, which seems to go against trying to give as much opportunity as possible.

I’ve also heard people say it reduces interview fatigue, but all of the applicants I’ve talked to who had 5+ zoom/online interviews still said they started feeling it.

100% this. I know it’s supposed to be an “equity” thing financially, but I would never want to pick up my life to spend the next 3+ years somewhere I’d never even visited. I took out extra loans my 4th year specifically for travel just in case. Plus it means there’s no financial dis-incentive for going to 20+ interviews, which seems to go against trying to give as much opportunity as possible.

I’ve also heard people say it reduces interview fatigue, but all of the applicants I’ve talked to who had 5+ zoom/online interviews still said they started feeling it.

Agree completely. I absolutely HATE virtual interviews being on the other side of it. Tough to gauge whether people actually want to match at the program or are just enjoying a free day off of 4th year rotations for the interview. The whole "equity" thing is a joke.

It's a chance for you to interview the residency program. Lots of good questions that can be framed from a place of curiosity and wanting to find the best fit for you. "I'm really looking to find the best fit program for me. Can you tell me what kind of person would do well in residency here?" You can then use that opportunity to highlight the areas in your application that fit into that.
As an interviewer, idk if I even have a great answer for this. How do I say: "I just want someone who isn't lazy and at least kinda understands social cues"?

"Do you have any concerns about my application?" is a great question to clear up anything that may have not been communicated well or that they may have mistaken about you.

This is fantastic. Would recommend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only a fourth-year medical student, so I might easily be wrong here - but I agree with this for the most part with the exception of the very worst, bottom of barrel, malignant programs...there it seems to be much harder (though not impossible) to get a good education there. A halfway-decent community hospital in a rural area isn't that.

I'm also pretty disappointed I won't get to visit most programs, but I'm fortunate to be in a position where I can visit some of the ones at the top of my list.

While this is true, I do think this is the exception. Even if you put your all into it and want to try out certain things, if you have an attending who is unmotivated or not willing to go with your plan, you may never be able to try out certain medications or therapy techniques or interventions.

In addition to asking the tough questions, pay attention to who is answering them. I’m in a program where the residents don’t feel comfortable contacting Leadership about their concerns, but our virtual meet and greets are always led by a chief resident who will say the opposite. No one else really jumps in to agree. Try to notice whether the other residents are nodding in agreement, or whether they are eager to agree verbally. It’s easier for people to control the narrative in virtual meet and greets, when only one person can talk at a time.

Last edited:
Related, but not exactly answering the question. I've seen too many residents try to impress me and charm me so much they don't ask substantive questions signaling to me they're actually interested in the program where I was a professor.

Seriously by the time the 4th in a row interviewer butt-kissed me I didn't give a damn about seeing the next brown-noser.

Some questions that seemed like the person was truly interested, e.g. asked about the cost of living in the area, the logistics of being able to see their family that might not be in the immediate area, concerns about their spouse who was co-applying into residency at the same time, asking if the program was a right fit for that individual person because they knew what they wanted out of a program.

Related, but not exactly answering the question. I've seen too many residents try to impress me and charm me so much they don't ask substantive questions signaling to me they're actually interested in the program where I was a professor.

Seriously by the time the 4th in a row interviewer butt-kissed me I didn't give a damn about seeing the next brown-noser.

Some questions that seemed like the person was truly interested, e.g. asked about the cost of living in the area, the logistics of being able to see their family that might not be in the immediate area, concerns about their spouse who was co-applying into residency at the same time, asking if the program was a right fit for that individual person because they knew what they wanted out of a program.
That's interesting, but a good point. I would hesitate to ask those kinds of questions as they feel like the "Go look it up" type we're told to avoid asking. Maybe one or two is valuable. I've had a few interviews so far, and I have a hard time gauging how I'm doing. I'm extroverted and conversation feels natural, but it feels difficult to imagine the conversations I'm having can fit into how someone can rank me beyond a general 'good vibes' and 'bad vibes'.

That's interesting, but a good point. I would hesitate to ask those kinds of questions as they feel like the "Go look it up" type we're told to avoid asking. Maybe one or two is valuable. I've had a few interviews so far, and I have a hard time gauging how I'm doing. I'm extroverted and conversation feels natural, but it feels difficult to imagine the conversations I'm having can fit into how someone can rank me beyond a general 'good vibes' and 'bad vibes'.
Don't over think it. In my opinion, if you're getting an interview at my program, the job is yours to lose. If you're dull & boring and I walk away not sure if you actually have a pulse or are just an AI robot, I do not care AT ALL what your scores look like, your LoR or anything else, I will be scoring you very low on our rating scale.

You would be very surprised how far ahead acting like a normal functioning human being gets you in the interview. I had an interview one time where it was horrible, dragging on etc. I asked, "So what are some of your hobbies or interests outside of medicine?"

The response I got was a long pause, blank stare followed by "ughhh I don't know. I guess cooking, maybe?" I'm sorry, if you cannot name a single thing that you do in real life that isn't medicine-related, I do not want to spend the next 4 years in your presence. I would be shocked if that person matched anywhere.

Reactions: 4 users
Don't over think it. In my opinion, if you're getting an interview at my program, the job is yours to lose. If you're dull & boring and I walk away not sure if you actually have a pulse or are just an AI robot, I do not care AT ALL what your scores look like, your LoR or anything else, I will be scoring you very low on our rating scale.

You would be very surprised how far ahead acting like a normal functioning human being gets you in the interview. I had an interview one time where it was horrible, dragging on etc. I asked, "So what are some of your hobbies or interests outside of medicine?"

The response I got was a long pause, blank stare followed by "ughhh I don't know. I guess cooking, maybe?" I'm sorry, if you cannot name a single thing that you do in real life that isn't medicine-related, I do not want to spend the next 4 years in your presence. I would be shocked if that person matched anywhere.

I've heard this kind of advice multiple times, and i can't help but think there is more to it. I know I'm likely wrong, but I suppose this begs the question - how do you get differentiate from other normal functioning human beings?

Especially at the more prestigious places, it seems like they undoubtedly aren't cutting the list down too much by this criteria, so what comes after? I know the interview isn't capable of boosting any interviewee above all the others, so I suppose it may be more or less 'decided' prior to interviews, and if their previous top picks are all normal enough, nothing changes?

I've heard this kind of advice multiple times, and i can't help but think there is more to it. I know I'm likely wrong, but I suppose this begs the question - how do you get differentiate from other normal functioning human beings?

Especially at the more prestigious places, it seems like they undoubtedly aren't cutting the list down too much by this criteria, so what comes after? I know the interview isn't capable of boosting any interviewee above all the others, so I suppose it may be more or less 'decided' prior to interviews, and if their previous top picks are all normal enough, nothing changes?
If you cannot carry a basic conversation, that's a red flag. What do you like doing in your spare time? What kind of food do you like? Do you like sports? Music? Video games? Where have you lived before? Do you like the beach? Mountains? Snow? Do you watch TV? What kinds of shows? Books? Dungeons and Dragons? Things I talked about during interviews included college sports I played, food I like, cities I lived in, things I should do while visiting for the interviews (I know most are virtual now, sadly), stuff around the cities/towns.

Just the act of being able to talk to someone for 10-15 minutes without making it really awkward is an actual skill that some people lack. We realize interviews can be stressful, but someone who can approach it like a conversation instead of an interrogation or performance really does separate themselves from other applicants at many places.

Reactions: 3 users
someone who can approach it like a conversation instead of an interrogation or performance really does separate themselves from other applicants at many places.

This is the best advice in this thread.

If you cannot carry a basic conversation, that's a red flag. What do you like doing in your spare time? What kind of food do you like? Do you like sports? Music? Video games? Where have you lived before? Do you like the beach? Mountains? Snow? Do you watch TV? What kinds of shows? Books? Dungeons and Dragons? Things I talked about during interviews included college sports I played, food I like, cities I lived in, things I should do while visiting for the interviews (I know most are virtual now, sadly), stuff around the cities/towns.

Just the act of being able to talk to someone for 10-15 minutes without making it really awkward is an actual skill that some people lack. We realize interviews can be stressful, but someone who can approach it like a conversation instead of an interrogation or performance really does separate themselves from other applicants at many places.
I've been told by multiple attendings over the years that this was my "superpower". It's pretty weird to think that having a conversation about an NFL team, economics, Taylor Swift, recent hiking, or a good restaurant you went to made you somehow better at medicine but in psychiatry I definitely see it helping out. Now, I do wish I had a better superpower, but I guess that's for another lifetime.