What do trust Doctor means?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonypowerful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
f

Members don't see this ad.

tonypowerful said:
Hi guys ,
I'll graduate this year from Spain,aiming to do my postgraduate training in Uk, I'm already informed that I'm Eligible for the Full Registration from the GMC.
Many friends adviced me to work few months at trust Dr post before applying to SHO's post, what is trust Dr post and is it easy to get?
thanx for reading my mail ..... Regards Antoine

Trust positions have one significant downside. They usually do not count towards the specialty post-graduate training requirement. As a result, fewer people will apply for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
tonypowerful said:
hi milkos, u said that trust dr post do not enter in postgraduate training requirement, what do u think r those requirements for postgraduate training beside of having the full registration from the GMC? thnx,regards

The SHO rotation must have the approval of the post-graduate deans. If the advertisement for the position does not mention this, then the post will not count toward your post-graduate training.

A Trust Doctor is what is called a service post, ie it is not a training post.

This means that you will be doing all the same work as the other SHOs araound you, and you may even go to all the teaching they have, but none of the work you do during that post will be recognised as training by the GMC.

Generally, having one or two trust doctor jobs on your CV isn't a bad thing if you didn't train in the UK - they help you get used to the system etc. But you also have to accept that these jobs are basically lost time to your training.

Ideally you would get onto a training rotation or into a training post from the start (one that is approved by the relevant post graduate deanery).