What Do You Do as a "Shadow"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Commando303

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try shadowing at a few locations soon, and am curious as to what to expect. What exactly are your responsibilities as a shadow? Do you simply sit in the corner — mute, with pen and paper — allowing the doctor to pretend you don't exist while you scribe his or her every action as though magical tricks were being revealed? Do you actually sit in the examination room as patients are seen (I imagine that might make patients less than comfortable)? Are you just the optometrist's gofer for the afternoon: "I said lightly-toasted poppy-seed bagel! Now, DO IT AGAIN, BACHELOR'S-DEGREE SCUM!"

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to try shadowing at a few locations soon, and am curious as to what to expect. What exactly are your responsibilities as a shadow? Do you simply sit in the corner — mute, with pen and paper — allowing the doctor to pretend you don't exist while you scribe his or her every action as though magical tricks were being revealed? Do you actually sit in the examination room as patients are seen (I imagine that might make patients less than comfortable)? Are you just the optometrist's gofer for the afternoon: "I said lightly-toasted poppy-seed bagel! Now, DO IT AGAIN, BACHELOR'S-DEGREE SCUM!"

Thanks.

You seem to have some negative expectations there! It should be a positive experience. Sitting in the corner is probably the best way to start, simply observing. The doctor should ask the patient if it is OK for you to observe and they almost always are perfectly fine with that. I don't know what you need to "scribe," unless you have questions for the dr. You should be there for the experience to see what an OD does all day. Maybe if the doctor has the time, they may teach you how to use the autorefractor, etc. If any dr asked me to go get him a bagel and called me scum, I would just leave, although I can't imagine this ever happening. Chill out. It will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've shadowed an OD and she was very nice to allow me to sit in her examination room while she was with patients. She even introduced me to patients indicating that I am shadowing and is interested in optometry. That made both the patient and I much more comfortable being in the same room together. She taught me how to do the pre-screening tests, like the autorefractor, the non-contact tonometer and even visual fields. I also learned how to take retinal photos. Near the end of the shadowing process, she allowed me to have patient interaction and actually do the pre-screening myself. I taught patients how to put in and take out contact lenses as well.

I had a very positive experience shadowing. Be attentive and show the OD that you sincerely have an interest for the field. If they see your curiosity for optometry, they normally will have no problem teaching you and showing you what optometry is all about.

:::pCO Class of 2013:::

Thanks.

Yes.

I've shadowed an OD and she was very nice to allow me to sit in her examination room while she was with patients. She even introduced me to patients indicating that I am shadowing and is interested in optometry. That made both the patient and I much more comfortable being in the same room together. She taught me how to do the pre-screening tests, like the autorefractor, the non-contact tonometer and even visual fields. I also learned how to take retinal photos. Near the end of the shadowing process, she allowed me to have patient interaction and actually do the pre-screening myself. I taught patients how to put in and take out contact lenses as well.

I had a very positive experience shadowing. Be attentive and show the OD that you sincerely have an interest for the field. If they see your curiosity for optometry, they normally will have no problem teaching you and showing you what optometry is all about.

:::pCO Class of 2013:::

See, this is the sort of post I was hoping for: a recollection of what a day of shadowing was all about. Thank you much. It sounds like you were given a great experience regarding what optometry is all about on a typical afternoon -- I hope I'm able to get that sort of hands-on deal, as well. Now, I'm eager (and just a little nervous, but that's all right...). Thanks again.