What do you guys think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background:
Male
22 Years Old
Graduate of top 25 School
Mixed Race (Asian/Hispanic)
CA Resident

s/cGPA: 3.0/3.1 with strange trends
MCAT: 12 BS, 12 PS, 11 V (35S)

ECs:
- Volunteer work in old care home, hospital (medical) (200+ hours)
- Volunteer work in low SES communities (primarily Hispanic/African American) trying to reach out with at-risk youth and promote education/abstinence
- Research at 2 different institutions (3 publications 2nd/3rd author)
- Shadowing of various physicians (cardiologist, OMM DO, radiologist, GI, FP)

Backstory:
My mother suffered from cancer during my sophomore and end of junior year of college, which really took a hit on me because I was simply too young/incapable of handling the whole situation (I tried juggling school and going to and from CA to my school (OOS) at least 2 times a month)). I saw a significant drop in GPA, but have had an upward rising trend.

God's honest truth, I have no idea where I should apply. What do you guys think? Is this even worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Background:
Male
22 Years Old
CA Resident

ECs:
- Volunteer work in low SES communities (primarily Hispanic/African American) trying to reach out with at-risk youth and promote education/abstinence

Backstory:
My mother suffered from cancer during my sophomore and end of junior year of college, which really took a hit on me because I was simply too young/incapable of handling the whole situation (I tried juggling school and going to and from CA to my school (OOS) at least 2 times a month)). I saw a significant drop in GPA, but have had an upward rising trend.

God's honest truth, I have no idea where I should apply. What do you guys think? Is this even worth it?

You're golden for DO if you want to apply next year. However, if you have some extra money, I recommend you go ahead any apply to the new DO schools now.

It's pretty late right now, but that what I would do.

Any thoughts on MD? If I spent another year getting that GPA to about a 3.25ish or so, where do you think that would put me?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're a great candidate for an SMP. You have a high MCAT and 3.0+ s/cgpa. A 3.7+ in a reputable one with linkage should at least net some MD interviews.

For osteo schools, as it stands, you're a crapshoot. The MCAT is great but without at least a couple semesters of recent 3.5+ gpa (how was you senior year?) it will be tough to tell who's interested. The simplest way to increase your chances is to retake your C/D/F classes and add in a few upper levels in a 1 year postbacc to get your overall c/sgpa to 3.3+.

My AACOMAS GPA is actually somewhere around a 3.35 and I do have a pretty decent upward trent in the past three semesters of 3.4+.

Last edited:
Congrats ont he great MCAT, but you're NOT comptetive for MD programs, and att he bare bottom for DO ones. I suggest a post-bac or SMP. Keep in mind the grade forgiveness policy of AACOMAS.

Background:
Male
22 Years Old
CA Resident

ECs:

Backstory: