What do you know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deciding

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the UCSF EM program located in Fresno? I have heard that Fresno is a bit more affordable than SF and the LA area. Is the program strong? What is the patient population like? Has anyone rotated there or done a residency there? It looks like it's in a good location in terms of outdoor activities.

How about Denver. I have heard it is more academically oriented and there can be an air of perceived aloofness there.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know anything about the UCSF EM program located in Fresno? I have heard that Fresno is a bit more affordable than SF and the LA area. Is the program strong? What is the patient population like? Has anyone rotated there or done a residency there? It looks like it's in a good location in terms of outdoor activities.

How about Denver. I have heard it is more academically oriented and there can be an air of perceived aloofness there.

Thanks

having done a paramedic internship in fresno for 6 months I can tell you that fresno is the armpit of california. hot/dry/flat/populated by rednecks.
I don't care how good the training is there or how much money they pay I would never go back. they could offer me 250k/yr for 2 shifts a week as a pa and I would say no.

It looks like Fresno is about 2 hours from the mountains and 3 hrs from the coast. Have you visited other programs Cali? Which ones would you recommend?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like Fresno is about 2 hours from the mountains and 3 hrs from the coast. Have you visited other programs Cali? Which ones would you recommend?

Thanks

I don't agree with emedpa. Almost went to residency there 30 years ago. Have known many of their faculty and graduates since. I'd give it :thumbup: :thumbup: . Hidden gem status.

And being originally from Stockton/Lodi - the mountains are even closer than 2 hours and The City isn't very far away.

I used to moonlight at the county hospital in Stockton (San Joaquin) and if Fresno sees anything like what showed up there (and I'm sure they do) they see some pretty crazy stuff. They also have a really good EMS fellowship.

Pretty awesome Wilderness med resources... think just about everyone there becomes W-EMT instructors..

Thanks

STANFORD
USC/LA COUNTY
HIGHLAND
OLIVE VIEW
LOMA LINDA

THE ONLY NICE THING ABOUT FRESNO IS IT'S PROXIMITY TO YOSEMITE....REALLY THAT'S IT.....ANY COUNTY PROGRAM WILL GET YOU THE PATHOLOGY THEY SEE THERE SO WHY PUT UP WITH ALL THE CRAP....