What do you love about your job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeikoTanaka

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you love about your job? What do you hate about your job? For a future prospect in the field, what advice would you give? How often do you get to take vacations or just relax? Many say FM is a lifestyle specialty whereas others say youre constantly going home night after night to finish notes and being bothered by patients all weekend. Do you find time to be able to fulfill your hobbies/travel/be with your family/mindlessly play video games or Netflix?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No, it's just an overly broad question, and sounds like a homework assignment.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
72093fde047815ca931b2483f25f6871.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

I don't think asking what people love about their job is a chore, or overly broad. If the whole post was too much to swallow, you could've just taken a small bite and answered the core of it - which is what you love about your job - which I think if you're passionate about.. should be an easy question. *shrugs*

I don't think asking what people love about their job is a chore, or overly broad. If the whole post was too much to swallow, you could've just taken a small bite and answered the core of it - which is what you love about your job - which I think if you're passionate about.. should be an easy question. *shrugs*

No, it's more like six broad questions, and answering each one would require at least a paragraph apiece. It's almost like you've done no research on FM whatsoever.

Plus, there are tons of threads in this forum that have answers to everything you asked, which you could find with minimal effort.

If it's minimal effort you want, however, maybe I'll just answer in memes.

freedom.jpg

What do you hate about your job?

Im-from-the-government-and-im-here-to-help.jpg

For a future prospect in the field, what advice would you give?

Nike-Just-Do-It.jpg

How often do you get to take vacations or just relax?

whenever.jpg

Many say FM is a lifestyle specialty whereas others say youre constantly going home night after night to finish notes and being bothered by patients all weekend.

haters.jpg

Do you find time to be able to fulfill your hobbies/travel/be with your family/mindlessly play video games or Netflix?

hellyeah.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 users
Ill bite (kids in bed, wife is reading), on iphone, soooo...

- diversity
- patients
- msk exam

- learning a new EMR

- get diverse training/procedures even if you know you will narrow done later
- find people who practice the way you see yourself worming and ask them lots of questions about life/training/finance basics when appropriate

- now that im done w/ training, 6 weeks/year plus 1 week CME
Many say FM is a lifestyle specialty whereas others say youre constantly going home night after night to finish notes and being bothered by patients all weekend. Do you find time to be able to fulfill your hobbies/travel/be with your family/mindlessly play video games or Netflix?
- most of note is done in room
- I write h&p while looking at patient
- ROS is designed to be negative (
- PE is generally what one would get by looking at patient, then I dragon request my msk joint exam templates
- my assessment/plan and patient discharge instructions is generally one thing that I dictate while talking to patient and giving the instructions
- at break ill tweak note but generally done
- when plan given to patient i dictate what we will do based on lab results/imaging so when i get the results I cut and paste that into triage or call myself when i think its important
- patient calls are nonissue, call split up otherwise

Lifestyle: 6:30 - 7:30 workout, office 8 to 5 with half day on Fri, mayconsider doing an extended hours and dumping the Friday

On season 2 of Ozark

Call 1 in 8 weekends, sitting in pajamas in living room, I do cover games, but thats for the sports med piece

Reactions: 5 users
I work in ER so it's great for traveling and life balance. EM is definitely within FM scope but you have to have EM experience like a fellowship to do it safely (get intubation, central line, critical care experience...). I also do urgent care which is equally conducive to have a balanced lifestyle.

In summary, FM is flexible which makes it great and there are areas within it where you don't have to do follow up or answer incessant emails or voicemails or prior auths

What do you love about your job? What do you hate about your job? For a future prospect in the field, what advice would you give? How often do you get to take vacations or just relax? Many say FM is a lifestyle specialty whereas others say youre constantly going home night after night to finish notes and being bothered by patients all weekend. Do you find time to be able to fulfill your hobbies/travel/be with your family/mindlessly play video games or Netflix?

- diversity
- patients
- msk exam

- learning a new EMR

- find people who practice the way you see yourself worming and ask them lots of questions about life/training/finance basics when appropriate

Many say FM is a lifestyle specialty whereas others say youre constantly going home night after night to finish notes and being bothered by patients all weekend. Do you find time to be able to fulfill your hobbies/travel/be with your family/mindlessly play video games or Netflix?
- PE is generally what one would get by looking at patient, then I dragon request my msk joint exam templates
- my assessment/plan and patient discharge instructions is generally one thing that I dictate while talking to patient and giving the instructions
- when plan given to patient i dictate what we will do based on lab results/imaging so when i get the results I cut and paste that into triage or call myself when i think its important

Lifestyle: 6:30 - 7:30 workout, office 8 to 5 with half day on Fri, mayconsider doing an extended hours and dumping the Friday

On season 2 of Ozark

Call 1 in 8 weekends, sitting in pajamas in living room, I do cover games, but thats for the sports med piece
You have my dream job haha

- diversity
- patients
- msk exam

- learning a new EMR

On season 2 of Ozark

I'm going to cut to the chase doc.

Do you make $250K+? And how possible is it for you to clear $300K?

Reactions: 1 users
BOT WHAT BOUT THE MONEEYYSSS??!!!

Reactions: 1 user
So...today, one of my patients brought me a Christmas gift: a big box of Fuji apples, three Asian pears, and a bottle of Chivas Regal. She's done this every year for as long as I can remember. I love being a family physician! :D

Reactions: 2 users
So...today, one of my patients brought me a Christmas gift: a big box of Fuji apples, three Asian pears, and a bottle of Chivas Regal. She's done this every year for as long as I can remember. I love being a family physician! :D
I had a patient about 2 months ago really show her ass to the staff, me, lab, everyone because I insisted she go to the hospital because she couldn't breathe. 5 days in the hospital, 10 liters of fluid Lasix'ed off later...

We got a box of donuts a week for 6 weeks as a Thank You/Apology. She's been super pleasant since.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a patient about 2 months ago really show her ass to the staff, me, lab, everyone because I insisted she go to the hospital because she couldn't breathe. 5 days in the hospital, 10 liters of fluid Lasix'ed off later...

We got a box of donuts a week for 6 weeks as a Thank You/Apology. She's been super pleasant since.

When you say like really show her ass, do you mean like "true colors" or do you mean like she literally mooned the staff? lol

That’s awesome! Some of my patients bought clothes for my baby girl, diapers, toys... Another a patient made a necklace for my wife and we get the sporadic box of doughnuts/cookies. It makes you feel appreciated.

Keep up the good work!