What do YOU love the most about being an Anesthesiologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DominicanaMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MSIII and I'm seriously considering Anesthesia. What are the pros and cons? What do you love the most about what you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Reactions: 1 user
please do a site search and read the numerous stickies on the topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why I love anesthetics:
1. No rounding
2. I get personal satisfaction from intubating
3. Hours of boredom (ie, time to think), moments of fear (ie, call the attendings)
4. I like witnessing physiology
5. Get to play with all sorts of cool pharmacology
6. There's a million ways of putting someone to sleep and learning why one attending's technique is superior to everyone's elses
7. Rapid sequence induction is the most fun you can have out of bed
8. Just the right amount of patient contact

just my two cents.

Reactions: 1 user
Control.

Corollary: no (or minimal) dependence on ancillary staff to execute my job.

Also: hyperacuity of physiologic challenges and solutions.

Also: no clinic, no rounding, no post-call-zombie-notes-till-1pm, no noncompliant patients, and on-and-on-etcetcetc to infinity.

Why I love anesthetics:
1. No rounding
3. Hours of boredom (ie, time to think), moments of fear (ie, call the attendings)
6. There's a million ways of putting someone to sleep and learning why one attending's technique is superior to everyone's elses

just my two cents.

Thank you for your input - its greatly appreciated!

Control.

Corollary: no (or minimal) dependence on ancillary staff to execute my job.

Also: hyperacuity of physiologic challenges and solutions.

Also: no clinic, no rounding, no post-call-zombie-notes-till-1pm, no noncompliant patients, and on-and-on-etcetcetc to infinity.

No clinic, no rounding and no post call sound great to me and I love a good challenge! Thanks guys!;)

Getting to play with new and exciting technology in the OR

Like I phones and e books

I'm an MSIII and I'm seriously considering Anesthesia. What are the pros and cons? What do you love the most about what you do?

potential in advancing medicine & creating novel practices.

our life time - regional, pain & patient safety.

future - ??? who knows, but if you want to be a part of it, hop on! i foresee more involvement in critical care and palliative care.

Members don't see this ad :)
potential in advancing medicine & creating novel practices.

our life time - regional, pain & patient safety.

future - ??? who knows, but if you want to be a part of it, hop on! i foresee more involvement in critical care and palliative care.

You all have me very excited about Anesthesia! Any additional suggestions to rock my Anesthesia elective coming up very soon?

Last edited:
don't "rock" anything. just show up on time. seem interested, but not overly so. you want to show them (us) that you have an awareness of your environment and that you're a chill, socially normal person with some common sense.

Dude....you all me soo freaking excited about Anesthesia! Any additional suggestions to rock my Anesthesia elective coming up very soon?

don't "rock" anything. just show up on time. seem interested, but not overly so. you want to show them (us) that you have an awareness of your environment and that you're a chill, socially normal person with some common sense.

Definitely.Thank you:oops:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

-copro

<p>By using a figure of speech I pretty much had it handed to me - geesh.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p> Thank you all for the invaluable advice. This may very well be the right fit for me and I'm looking forward to the experience.</p>

Last edited:
Getting to play with new and exciting technology in the OR

Like I phones and e books

When I was drilling an anesthesiology resident about the pros/cons of anesthesiology, he turned to me and asked: "do you like reading?" I at first thought he was talking about reading medical journals and such...but then he was like "do you like reading novels? If so, anesthesiology is for you." hahahaaha

I'm sure it's an area of contention, however, since many anesthesiologists are opposed to reading in the OR.

When I was drilling an anesthesiology resident about the pros/cons of anesthesiology, he turned to me and asked: "do you like reading?" I at first thought he was talking about reading medical journals and such...but then he was like "do you like reading novels? If so, anesthesiology is for you." hahahaaha
Best answer yet. :laugh:

make sure to select the right role models early on. hint: not that guy.

I'm sure it's an area of contention, however, since many anesthesiologists are opposed to reading in the OR.

First off, I would think "drilling" anyone who is not your spouse would be against your religion. :smuggrin:

Secondly, this guy is a ******. Medical students that rotate on our service often specifically ask to be in my room because (1) I teach and (2) I let them do procedures in a heavily but properly supervised manner, and I give them a lot of feedback. I don't sit their and read novels.

If you ever have time to read novels - especially as a resident (and trusting that comment was not made in a joking manner), then you are either in a sh*tty anesthesia residency program that doesn't give you the complexity of cases you'll need to become a competent independent practitioner, or you are so grossly overconfident that it is only a manner of time until you kill someone.

-copro

First off, I would think "drilling" anyone who is not your spouse would be against your religion. :smuggrin:

Secondly, this guy is a ******. Medical students that rotate on our service often specifically ask to be in my room because (1) I teach and (2) I let them do procedures in a heavily but properly supervised manner, and I give them a lot of feedback. I don't sit their and read novels.

If you ever have time to read novels - especially as a resident (and trusting that comment was not made in a joking manner), then you are either in a sh*tty anesthesia residency program that doesn't give you the complexity of cases you'll need to become a competent independent practitioner, or you are so grossly overconfident that it is only a manner of time until you kill someone.

-copro

Copro, thanks for your post and feedback. I don't know if he was joking or not. But I have one question for you: even if a resident gets many complex cases, wouldn't a great deal of his cases still be "bread and butter" ones? I've seen anesthesiologists during lap chole's and appendectomies (and even whipples), and the procedures went along rather uneventfully. Seemed like there was a lot of downtime.

In any case, I would not at all advocate such a thing. I was merely commenting on the attending's post in this thread: he said that he reads e-books in the OR. I have no view either way on this topic, since I am not in a position to judge. Furthermore, it was just a random resident with whom I have no connection with.

Last edited:
Why I love anesthetics:
1. No rounding

just my two cents.

well said :laugh: