what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zealtor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my MCAT score from the sep 5th sitting and I'm not sure what to do. It's a 27M (9/9/9).

I would like to apply for 2010 entry but I'm not sure if this score will give me a decent shot at an OZ school. Should I just apply early and to as many schools as possible or retake (the least appealing option)? what do you guys think?

I will have a gpa of approximately 3.4

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely have good chances of being accepted to UQ.

I went to a UQ information session today in NYC, and the UQ rep said that minimum qualifying GPA for UQ is 2.7, and MCAT of 8/8/8.

He also indirectly mentioned that if you match the above criteria your chances are pretty good of getting an acceptance.

I will recommend that you apply as early as possible since every year the number of applicants is rising.
Also, I will recommend applying through either Oztrekk.com ...or Australearn.com.

I applied through Australearn.com, and I also didnt sumbit any LORs to expedite my application. It took them about 3 weeks to give me an answer.

Best of luck.

Double check the minimum requirements for the writing sample...might be N...not 100% sure or anything...

Members don't see this ad :)
Another thing is that applying to Australian schools through Oztrekk (and Australearn as well?) is free, so you really don't have anything to lose by applying (except the time it takes to get all your application material together). UQ has a rolling admissions, so like gmacpac says i'd apply as early as possible to make sure your application is at the top of the pile. I don't think its as important with the others, but better to have your application in earlier than later.

You 9/9/9 might be borderline at UQ, but they won't consider you because of your writing score. I think that their minimum is O, but it might be N... in any case, it's definitely not M.

You should plan to apply to UQ around March, so you have some time to re-take the MCAT. Also, if writing is a weak point for you, you should consider taking the GAMSAT instead.

If you apply early you might have a chance at UQ. A 27 will not cut it at many other schools. Flinders and Melbourne usually have an average MCAT of 33-34, neither school has a cutoff but I know many people who go to both, and its next to impossible to get an interview without at least a 30 on the MCAT to these two schools. USyd and ANU average 30+ also, a girl at USyd knows only one person who got in with less than a 30, he just did amazingly well on the interview. There are a fair number of pople at UQ with a below a 30 The average MCAT when I applied to UQ was 28, but now its around a 30, but that is the average, some people have higher scores and some people have lower.

Even if the UQ rep says the minimum is a 24M, that is just a cutoff to be considered.

Thanks all. Your replies have given me some hope. About the WS cutoff, the UQ and oztrekk websites list it as being a M, but that's from the 2008 application cycle. Do the cutoffs change from year to year?

Also, I'm a fairly strong writer and I'm sure I wrote pretty good essays on the MCAT, not sure how I got an M. I'm debating whether I should have it rescored...

The trick is to apply early, that should increase your chances for UQ. For other schools, you will need a better MCAT unless you have amazing interview skills.

The trick is to apply early, that should increase your chances for UQ. For other schools, you will need a better MCAT unless you have amazing interview skills.

Thanks for your input JoeNamaMD. So what defines early? I tried looking for the date on which the application process opens for UQ but couldn't find that information. Would I be able to apply at this time for 2010 entry or is there a specific date on which applications open?

I would strongly recommend that you contact either Australearn or Oztrekk, who knows they may even tell you to apply now in case the class is not full. Sometimes people luck out if other applicants have dropped their application.

Also, keep in mind that as an International student you will be paying $$$ for your tuition, which in my humble opinion, correlates with less stringent application process for Int'l students.

I may be wrong on this, but I guess it will not hurt speaking to Australearn/Oztrekk even at this stage of application cycle.

The minimum is an M for UQ and most schools. Melbourne requires a P and Flinders an O. If he applies early I think he has a chance. The admissions process is less stringent for internationals although at some schools it has changed. Flinders and Melbourne have gotten very difficult. Melbourne only takes four North Americans a year. They get about 10 at Flinders.

USyd also made their interview process for internationals more rigorous with the MMI. Anyhow a 30 or a higher MCAT is a strong score. People with those kinds of stats will always look at American MD and DO schools.