what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLH1317

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated this may 09 with a BS in Biology. I have been working at a DNA sequencing lab since. I would like to get some advice on my credentials and future plans to know if I should continue this path that I am on or should I look at something other than medical school.

sGPA:2.9
cGPA:2.9
MCATS: 35 (only took them twice) will take again to improve score
1 research opportunity in undergrad
LOR's: 2 professors, 1 employer
shadowed a surgeon for a month

given the above stats I would like to get my CNA license then my PCT certification to work as a patient care technician in a hospital. I plan on working in that position for 2-3 years. therefore I do not plan on entering med school until I am atleast 24. Please let me know if you think this is a good plan or should I look at a different path.....Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

First, you have a shot at DO now. If you can get your GPA up over 2 years to like a 3.2/3.3, then MD.

Do not waste time retaking the MCAT and do not let that great score elapse unless you know you can repeat it.

The problem is the GPA. Start taking classes and getting A's.

Also, need to get in some clinical volunteering once a week. Continuous volunteering is the key. A few hrs a week go a long way.