"What do you want to do in the future?" at CAP interview?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bearrie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was asked this same question or slight variations (I.e. after fellowship, etc.) multiple times by different interviewers at my first interview.

I thought it was sort of weird--obviously I was in wrong place to be a urologist or securities lawyer. Is this question fairly common? Are they asking inpatient vs outpatient? Academic vs community?

Also--I'm sure this varies widely but saw that interviewers filled out form and handed to coordinator afterwards. Most of mine I thought went well but with PD interview was hard to gauge. How much "more" as a gross generalization does interview with PD "count" as opposed to the interviewers?

Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, they mean do you want to do academic vs PP, open your own business for cash vs take care of the underserved, work in collaborative care, school settings, forensics, neuropsych or do standard outpatient med management. These questions are asked to determine if what the program is strong in is a good fit for you. For example when I hear someone is interested in treating urban youth for a career, I recommend strongly they consider my program. If someone says they want to start a private cash pay practice, well they can certainly get sufficient training but I honestly think it would be a suboptimal fit.

Final rankings vary dramatically by the program. Generally applicants are scored using something trying to be pseudo-objective by each interviewer and the result is averaged to make up the initial rank list. Folks are then moved up and down that list by the PD, sometimes with influence from the chair, assistant PD, and/or residents/fellows.

Above all, don't stress about the CAP match. You should find a good program, there are always open slots, and your above interview is already done, you cannot do anything about it now!

Reactions: 1 users
You didn't trust me yet :(

The only correct answer to every question you've asked in this thread is the same -- stop asking questions, stop thinking of questions, and stop thinking of thinking. Everything will be as fine as it can be unless you continue to allow yourself to let your worries feel legitimate.

I doubt you'll trust me, but someday you may look back and understand what I was talking about.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If someone says they want to start a private cash pay practice, well they can certainly get sufficient training but I honestly think it would be a suboptimal fit.

Just an M3 considering psychiatry, but could you expand on this? Does you program have a specific mission that diverges from that of most programs? It's my understanding that general outpatient private practice is the bread and butter of psychiatry, and I somehow doubt anyone says "cash practice" at an interview.

I am hoping others can chime in, as well. Are there are programs that would be receptive to a reasonable, common goal like outpatient private practice or do we have to continue the charade?

Just an M3 considering psychiatry, but could you expand on this? Does you program have a specific mission that diverges from that of most programs? It's my understanding that general outpatient private practice is the bread and butter of psychiatry, and I somehow doubt anyone says "cash practice" at an interview.

I am hoping others can chime in, as well. Are there are programs that would be receptive to a reasonable, common goal like outpatient private practice or do we have to continue the charade?

Many programs are set up to allow training in various settings that may be more appropriate for certain patient populations. All do the basics, so I think you will be adequately trained for whatever practice type you choose.

I was never asked this type of question when I interviewed, but I can understand why it might be posed. When interviewing, I started with geographic location, then size of program, then whether they had Child/Adol program, then what type of focus they had, the whether the residents seemed happy. Some type of similar process will cut down your potential programs quite a bit and make interviewing more manageable. I ended up interviewing at 8 programs and tried for 9 but bad weather prevented 1. After about 4, I'd made my choice and was just ruling out by the end. Child is not competitive and if you are in a general program with child/adol, you are likely to be given a spot unless you have screwed up royally. I trained with 3 people who left and went to Mass General with NO problem getting in.

One of the more useful lecture series we had was with a private practice psychiatrist who spent a few hours instructing us on how to set up a private practice. If you get to you PGY4 year, ask if this is planned and demand it if not.

Best of luck!

So your post is exactly why this question is asked, not to be overly blunt. As each city and each health care system in the US has very different patient populations, it makes some sense to train with one that will be somewhat similar to how you want to practice, if you already know that heading into fellowship. There will be plenty of programs that will train you well, but some might fit you better both in terms of attitude and patient population.

Reactions: 1 user