What does it take to be a successful oral surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Franklo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if any residents, and current practicing oral surgeons could speak to what they personally believe to be what it takes the be a good oral surgeon? I've shadowed both academic and private practice oral surgeons and it just seems like they are on entirely different level. The precision and accuracy that I have seen in both is astounding I mean most of these guys know exactly where and how to cut and could probably do it blindfolded. Are most naturally gifted at surgery or is this definitely something that comes with practice?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I was wondering if any residents, and current practicing oral surgeons could speak to what they personally believe to be what it takes the be a good oral surgeon? I've shadowed both academic and private practice oral surgeons and it just seems like they are on entirely different level. The precision and accuracy that I have seen in both is astounding I mean most of these guys know exactly where and how to cut and could probably do it blindfolded. Are most naturally gifted at surgery or is this definitely something that comes with practice?

Thanks!
A God complex is a great place to start.

My hand skills were always decent and I have a good memory. At the end of the day, it's truly a passion for surgery and a commitment to the specialty. We go through a residency unlike any other in dentistry so a positive attitude and good support system helps.

Reactions: 1 user
genuine desire, unbroken by whatever goes down during residency
focus on a niche within the field, don't go with the herd (i like doing alot of path unlike some of the other guys in my area... i don't search for it, but when it falls in my lap its a nice change from the dentoalveolar stuff under GA). having a spouse who is in sync helps alot. you don't want someone riding your tail if you get home late (wife: "are you going to strip clubs????". hub - "no, I worked my ass off today to provide you with a nice lifestyle. thats why its 9pm")
even something as mundane as a thirds extraction takes practice and time to become efficient in a safe manner. some people are technically gifted, but tincture of time helps to avoid pitfalls and deal with whatever complication is thrown your way

Members don't see this ad :)
genuine desire, unbroken by whatever goes down during residency
focus on a niche within the field, don't go with the herd (i like doing alot of path unlike some of the other guys in my area... i don't search for it, but when it falls in my lap its a nice change from the dentoalveolar stuff under GA). having a spouse who is in sync helps alot. you don't want someone riding your tail if you get home late (wife: "are you going to strip clubs????". hub - "no, I worked my ass off today to provide you with a nice lifestyle. thats why its 9pm")
even something as mundane as a thirds extraction takes practice and time to become efficient in a safe manner. some people are technically gifted, but tincture of time helps to avoid pitfalls and deal with whatever complication is thrown your way
What are your hours of operation?

When it comes to being a good oral surgeon, it has nothing to do with being gifted. Precision and accuracy only come after rigorous training and practise. Oral surgery, also known as maxillofacial surgery, is an advanced and complex form of general dentistry, which concerns the facial region, such as the mouth, bones of the forehead, jawbones and cheekbones.

Before entering this field, it is important to know that it takes at least 11 years to complete the training, taking into account the four years of undergrad studies, four years of dental school, and four years of residency. Here are some oral hygiene tips that every person interested in oral health should know - http://www.revitalizingsmiles.com/blog/good-habits-oral-hygiene

When it comes to being a good oral surgeon, it has nothing to do with being gifted. Precision and accuracy only come after rigorous training and practise. Oral surgery, also known as maxillofacial surgery, is an advanced and complex form of general dentistry, which concerns the facial region, such as the mouth, bones of the forehead, jawbones and cheekbones.

Before entering this field, it is important to know that it takes at least 11 years to complete the training, taking into account the four years of undergrad studies, four years of dental school, and four years of residency. Here are some oral hygiene tips that every person interested in oral health should know - http://www.revitalizingsmiles.com/blog/good-habits-oral-hygiene
Um, what?