What does it take to succeed in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carn311

Dead tired.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This must seem like the dumbest question ever but before I get flamed hear me out...

What is the recipie for success? Is being at the top of your class more dependent upon your academic prowess, manual dexterity, or just plain old fashion butt-kissing abilities (aka "networking" :laugh: ).

Can one just work his or her tail off and make it to the top of the class or do you need tons of natural ability?

I know I have the accademic knowhow to make it to the top but its hard to tell whether or not I have the manual skills that are needed. I find it hard then, to commit to a 4-year doctorial degree in which I have no idea how well I can do. I have a need to at least know that I can make it to the top if I want to.

Members don't see this ad.

The majority of your grades are dependant on taking tests in the first 2-3 yrs. Of course, manual dexterity is important, but getting through labs with high grades is more about luck than skill. You can practice all you want on a wax-up or ivorine Class II prep, but all that matters is how you do on that one practical. Getting high grades in clinic on the other hand is almost all luck. Anyway, to answer your question, getting good grades for the purpose of applying to residencies (which is what most people are interested in when asking this question) is mostly dependant on how you do on exams. A small portion depends on lab projects/practicals but most people get roughly the same grades on this anyway.

carn311 said:
I find it hard then, to commit to a 4-year doctorial degree in which I have no idea how well I can do. I have a need to at least know that I can make it to the top if I want to.

I know this isn't what you meant, but just to clarify, anyone going into dental school with the expectation that they will be in the top of the class and will be frustrated with anything less is asking for disappointment. Dental School is tough, and everyone of your classmates and friends are all very smart. As I said above, doing well has to do with being a good test taker. It also has to do with dedication, some sacrifice, and luck. I'm reasonably high up in my class, but there are friends who may not be ranked higher but are certainly smarter than I am.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks so much for the great replys. Its hard to form perceptions of dental school from the outside looking in.

One last refinement of my original question: Do you find that those who enter dental school with better undergraduate stats have a tendency to be at the top of their dental school class? Or does one factor have no affect on the other?

carn311 said:
Hey thanks so much for the great replys. Its hard to form perceptions of dental school from the outside looking in.

One last refinement of my original question: Do you find that those who enter dental school with better undergraduate stats have a tendency to be at the top of their dental school class? Or does one factor have no affect on the other?
Doesn't apply to me. I had a 4.0 and a 23 DAT and still didnt make top 10. Dental school depends on how much information you can store before an upcoming test. Throw comprehension out the window sometimes because frankly, there might not be time for it.

DDSSlave said:
Of course, manual dexterity is important, but getting through labs with high grades is more about luck than skill. You can practice all you want on a wax-up or ivorine Class II prep, but all that matters is how you do on that one practical. Getting high grades in clinic on the other hand is almost all luck.

I'm gonna have to disagree on that one. I think it is very possible to do well if you practice on what you are deficient at. The KEY is to have your practice work critiqued by the same instructor that's going to be grading your work. Each professor seems to have a different set of criteria so get a feel for what he/she is feels is important and concentrate on getting that down and minimizing your mistakes. Take your work up to them and ask them what they would grade your practice work if they had to. If they don't say "A", then ask them what you need to improve on in order to get an "A". I found that seems to work well. Just like anything else, if you put your time into it, it will pay off and before you know it, it becomes second nature.

carn311 said:
What is the recipie for success? Is being at the top of your class more dependent upon your academic prowess, manual dexterity, or just plain old fashion butt-kissing abilities (aka "networking" :laugh: ).
It would help if you could grow a pair of t!ts...at my school the instructors in the pre-clinical labs used to hover around the girls who liked to show their stuff by what they wear.

toofache32 said:
It would help if you could grow a pair of t!ts...at my school the instructors in the pre-clinical labs used to hover around the girls who liked to show their stuff by what they wear.

Looks like I gotta get on those estrogen hormones.

toofache32 said:
Does gynecomastia count? :)

toofache32 said:
Only if you're a C-cup...
img1856before1.jpg

What was the original topic again?

Damn, you're a sick puppy!

Members don't see this ad :)
toofache32 said:

and for guys...???

To OP, why do you want to do well? Is it because you want to learn? Is it because you want to specialize? Or what? Tell us more.

jk5177 said:
and for guys...???

To OP, why do you want to do well? Is it because you want to learn? Is it because you want to specialize? Or what? Tell us more.

Thanks for getting back on track... :laugh:

Its not that I even know if I want to specialize I'm just the kind of guy that wants as many options as possible.

I mean, I could sit here and give you the typical:
"I know this sounds stupid being that I've never even looked in someone's mouth besides my own but...I want to do OMFS! I just like surgery and ...stuff." :sleep:

But in reality, I know that I don't have the knowledge to make that kind of decision. I am interested, however, in having the reassurance that if I work my butt off I can at least have the option of securing a residency in a specialty. I'm not a genus by any means but I do consider myself to be a very hard worker.

So I guess my question is: is working abnormally hard enough? Or do you also need tons of luck and natural giftedness?

I was logged in as my wife above... :D

carn311 said:
I was logged in as my wife above... :D
I swear she didn't tell me she was married...

carn311 said:

Not really. Partly because different people have different priorities when they come to dental school. In undergrad everyone wants to do really well to get accepted into dental school. Once you're in, unless you want to want to get accepted into a residency, there's no need to be as concerned with grades. Partly also because tests are fundamentally different in dental school. There's so much information to learn and test, most exams are multiple choice and test memorization more than true understanding. Most of our undergrad test were about working out problems or equations or writing essays. This happens in a few classes, but not many. Honestly, who can blame them? There's so much information you just don't have time to be working out biochemistry problems plus that's exactly how the boards are set up. So for better or worse, it's a memorization game. For some classes it's more of a recognition game. So, to answer your last question, hard word and determination is key. Time management is key. But you really won't know how well you'll do until you actually start.

DDSSlave said:
Not really. Partly because different people have different priorities when they come to dental school. In undergrad everyone wants to do really well to get accepted into dental school. Once you're in, unless you want to want to get accepted into a residency, there's no need to be as concerned with grades. Partly also because tests are fundamentally different in dental school. There's so much information to learn and test, most exams are multiple choice and test memorization more than true understanding. Most of our undergrad test were about working out problems or equations or writing essays. This happens in a few classes, but not many. Honestly, who can blame them? There's so much information you just don't have time to be working out biochemistry problems plus that's exactly how the boards are set up. So for better or worse, it's a memorization game. For some classes it's more of a recognition game. So, to answer your last question, hard word and determination is key. Time management is key. But you really won't know how well you'll do until you actually start.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

One of the best posts I've read in the dental forum in some time

DDSSlave said:
everyone of your classmates and friends are all very smart.

uhh.... are you sure about this?? Just take a look at some of the ******* questions that are being asked on the Pre-Dent part....

mvs04 said:
uhh.... are you sure about this?? Just take a look at some of the ******* questions that are being asked on the Pre-Dent part....

and that's why their in pre-dental. (did you notice my ******* spelling?)

DDSSlave said:
So for better or worse, it's a memorization game. For some classes it's more of a recognition game. So, to answer your last question, hard word and determination is key. Time management is key. But you really won't know how well you'll do until you actually start.

But if the school is on a pass/not-pass system, then would you say that doing well on NBDE is the key?

jk5177 said:
But if the school is on a pass/not-pass system, then would you say that doing well on NBDE is the key?

For sure.

On the OP: In addition to DDSSlave and others, I'd say to just relax and help your classmates out. That may sound stupid, or counter-intuitive, but after about 2 semesters every one of your instructors will know who the "gunners" are, who just wants to get by, etc. Faculty are a lot more willing to work with you (read: give you the benefit of the doubt on an exam, be flexible, etc.) if they know you aren't just looking after your own. If you are known as a guy (or gal) who helps you classmates to be better and isn't too wound up, it seems to come back and help you out.

jpollei said:
On the OP: In addition to DDSSlave and others, I'd say to just relax and help your classmates out. That may sound stupid, or counter-intuitive, but after about 2 semesters every one of your instructors will know who the "gunners" are, who just wants to get by, etc. Faculty are a lot more willing to work with you (read: give you the benefit of the doubt on an exam, be flexible, etc.) if they know you aren't just looking after your own. If you are known as a guy (or gal) who helps you classmates to be better and isn't too wound up, it seems to come back and help you out.

I like that.