What does "ready" feel like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irishnerd26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if I could pull anything away from reading the threads on SDN it would be to take the MCAT when I'm ready, but I don't even know what ready feels like. I have taken 3 full-length tests and have been hardcore reviewing since February, but I still don't know if I'm ready. My FL scores are all over the map, and I heard they aren't even really indicative of what you'll get on the real thing. I haven't yet taken the AAMC sample test, just TPR one's. This might be a hard question to answer since each person's comfort level/background/test anxiety can be different, but just wondering what other people were thinking.

Members don't see this ad.

+100 to xBod, there is not feeling 100% and when we get to med school, I've been told the same applies. That is why I will be taking 6 practice tests so that even if I can't know, I can be pretty confident in what I can expect to get when I walk in in June.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I could pull anything away from reading the threads on SDN it would be to take the MCAT when I'm ready, but I don't even know what ready feels like. I have taken 3 full-length tests and have been hardcore reviewing since February, but I still don't know if I'm ready. My FL scores are all over the map, and I heard they aren't even really indicative of what you'll get on the real thing. I haven't yet taken the AAMC sample test, just TPR one's. This might be a hard question to answer since each person's comfort level/background/test anxiety can be different, but just wondering what other people were thinking.

If they are AAMC FLs and you take them under real conditions, they are HIGHLY indicative of where you will score on the real thing.

The MCAT is not a crapshoot. If you score 35 on a practice test, expect to score very close to that on the real (33-37).

Just think about it. You only get 1 chance at the real thing. Schools don't require you to take the test multiple times. They know enough from just one test. If the MCAT had extremely high variance, it's utility would be greatly diminished. It is "set up" so that if you take the test 100 times in a row, you will get almost the same every time.

Reactions: 1 user
If they are AAMC FLs and you take them under real conditions, they are HIGHLY indicative of where you will score on the real thing.

The MCAT is not a crapshoot. If you score 35 on a practice test, expect to score very close to that on the real (33-37).

Just think about it. You only get 1 chance at the real thing. Schools don't require you to take the test multiple times. They know enough from just one test. If the MCAT had extremely high variance, it's utility would be greatly diminished. It is "set up" so that if you take the test 100 times in a row, you will get almost the same every time.

Have you been living under a rock? We're dealing with the NEW test here and OP clearly stated it was TPR full lengths since AAMC only released one official FL.

Reactions: 1 users
i'm currently writing erotic friend fiction on this question. I'll post it when its finished.

+100 to xBod, there is not feeling 100% and when we get to med school, I've been told the same applies. That is why I will be taking 6 practice tests so that even if I can't know, I can be pretty confident in what I can expect to get when I walk in in June.

April test takers have already indicated prep company FL's were not particularly helpful in preparing them for the real test. Hopefully their scores and subsequent reports on how accurate the FL's really were will come before you take your test.