What ethnicity do I apply as?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pcn33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am wondering what I can mark in the self-identification portion of AMCAS. I am half-Peruvian. My mother was born and raised in Peru, and while I was born here, from the ages of 2-3 I was raised in Peru as well. My father is Czech and British, but I personally don't identify strongly with those cultures. I visit Peru and my family there at least once a year and fell i embody that culture. On the application can I only mark hispanic, or do I need to mark white as well?

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I would check white and hispanic because you are white and hispanic.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Call one of the medical schools you are applying to and ask them the same question.

Reactions: 1 user
Hispanic is considered an ethnicity, not a race. and Hispanics can be of any race. So, you need to identify with a race (White? Black? Asian? Native American?) and you can check Hispanic as an ethnicity. As mentioned previously, Peruvian is not considered URM.

Reactions: 1 users
I personally dont identify with any race (in Colombia, we dont really think about race, plus I'm just brown), so I just checked Hispanic and ended it at that.

Put whatever you really identify as.

I personally dont identify with any race (in Colombia, we dont really think about race, plus I'm just brown), so I just checked Hispanic and ended it at that.

Put whatever you really identify as.

Right... you can always check "other" or "prefer not to answer".

Reactions: 2 users

Fair to assume most users of 'prefer not to answer' would be White/ORMs who don't want to identified?

Thank you everyone who gave helpful comments! I will stick with marking hispanic as ethnicity and white as race then.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel when someone puts this, they are either hiding something (e.g. Asian) or have some personal racial issue (e.g. that one guy that felt that even though he was black, be didnt deserve a URM boost)

Just be honest with yourself, and prepare to possibly defend your choice :shrug:

I feel when someone puts this, they are either hiding something (e.g. Asian) or have some personal racial issue (e.g. that one guy that felt that even though he was black, be didnt deserve a URM boost)

Just be honest with yourself, and prepare to possibly defend your choice :shrug:

Even though you can hide your race, people may be able to extrapolate your ethnicity based on your name. If you came across and app that had Name: Zhexhi Wang, Race: Prefer Not to Answer, you could probably guess he is Asian.